The Student Room Group

Can you reject a qualification?

It was mandatory at my college to do General Studies to the level were you get automatically entered for resits (which if you didn't go to you would have to pay for). Anyway I never wanted to do it, don't like it as a qualification - don't want it as a qualification, and am also terrible 'at it'.

Anyway, I genuinely do not want to have a GS A level tagged to me for the rest of my life (not at grade ***) and I was wondering is it possible to decline a qualification?

I understand I might get some hate for arrogance/snottyness etc for asking this. But I don't care for any comments like that. If it does make you feel better then feel free, but I'm looking for people who know about this - or even better anyone that has actually done this. Or information on being allowed to not present qualifications in future life form filling.

I also know it won't make a difference blah blah blah etc. Personal ego issue. I DO NOT WANT this qualification.
Reply 1
Well, I don't think you can really decline it unless you get a U in it, in which case you're not certified in GS.

Having said that, if you can't avoid getting a grade now, then you might as well go for the best grade you can. When you're making your CV, you don't have to put down every single qualification you have like that; it's just that in many cases, it would better your chance if you did declare things like that.
Reply 2
It should be...

Can't you just ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist? Never include it in your CV etc.? I do that to some of my odd qualifications
i think you can decline the grade. It means you never get the certificate and as far as everyone else is concerned, never took the exam in the first place.

Don't think your school will be happy with this though!!
Reply 4
Yes, you can choose to decline an A-level if you don't want it- I'm not sure how but you definitiely can, we got a letter about it when I was doing mine.
I hope you can cause theres one i need to decline.
Reply 6
why don't you just do it its a test of general knowledge so if you are clever you will do fine
Reply 7
I thought they stopped the whole grade declining thing last year? Either way, just don't put it on your CV or anything and it won't really matter.
Reply 8
But no-one looks at General Studies anyway!
You cannot decline A-level qualifications any more.
Reply 10
Fraid michaelyus is right but the best way is just not to declare it on anything nobody asks questions if it's general studies
Reply 11
Thanks all - very useful : ]

milner001
why don't you just do it its a test of general knowledge so if you are clever you will do fine

Apparently I'm a bit thick then ^^'
Reply 12
Can't you just complain to your head teacher (or get parents to) to get you excused from it? There are certainly enough reasons to not want to take it.
Reply 13
Don't do the exam. They can't actually make you. Ring the exam board/ask your exam's officer about whether declining is possible. You may as well just sit it - I can't imagine you won't get a respectable grade of some kind to be honest!!

Latest