The Student Room Group
Why is the western culture/kapitalism considered to be the most developed culture?
The culture in the Amazon is a different one, maybe the ideas and values of the western kapitalism culture won't work there.

But of course, the idea of cultures sharing no universal values and ideas is ridiculous.
I mean, we have a lot of money and they don't, so obviously we have the better culture and we must force the other ones to become more civilized like us.
Reply 2
No.

Further development will just **** up the world further.
Depends on your chosen definition of "develop" and the reasons behind it.
Nope. If they ask for our help I wouldn't be against giving it to them. Otherwise, let them live their lives as they are.
Reply 5
It's quite a useful website, further development wouldn't be too bad but I can't see what else they could sell.
What do you mean by "develop the Amazon"? That could mean a multitude of things.
Disagree. Foreigners did enough damage during the gold rush about 40/50 years ago when they came in, tore down plenty of forest, polluted the rivers and began a mass genocide of the Yanomami people. Many sections of it are now protected by the government and should not be altered.
I don't think its really my position to agree or disagree. I don't have any right to be telling Brazil what they should and shouldn't be doing. If the Amazonian people want to keep it as it is, thats up to them. If they want to encourage investment and develop, thats fine too.
While I am not a fan of the arguments that go like-

"No culture is better than another, we should respect native people's ways of life"

I think it is for ecological reasons that the Amazon needs to be left alone.
If the Brazilians want to develop and make more money so its people can have a better lifestyle it should sustainably cut down the rain forest while protecting the land that people live on. I care a lot more about peoples welfare than the environment.
wilko1991
If the Brazilians want to develop and make more money so its people can have a better lifestyle it should sustainably cut down the rain forest while protecting the land that people live on. I care a lot more about peoples welfare than the environment.

So do I, but in the case of the Amazon, a lot more people's welfare is at stake from destroying it, than by not developing it.
Reply 12
Nope. I remember reading constantly in KS3 Geography or Science that the Amazon was the "lungs of the world" haha we shouldn't destroy them.

Latest

Trending

Trending