The Student Room Group

Conduction / Convection Problem !!!

a) Heat transfer through the walls of the radiator is due to _____

b) Hot air in contact with the radiator causes heat transfer to the room by _____

c) Heat transfer to the room takes place directly due to _____

these are questions from AQA CORE SCIENCE pg237

I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER
CAN SOMEONE SOLVE THEM AND TELL ME??
PLUS, EXPLAIN IT PLEASE ??

I'M REALLY CONFUSED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONDUCTION AND CONVECTION
Reply 1
a) Through the walls i.e. through a solid. Conduction is heat transfer through solids, like when you're stirring some soup with a wooden spoon - if you did it with a metal spoon, the heat would conduct up the metal and burn your hand and it would hurt. So you use a wooden spoon.

b) Hmm... I'm guessing that's conduction again, because like the spoon and the soup, the hot air is directly in contact with the hot radiator. Though I'm not certain on that one. Conduction is (as my dear physics teacher tried to explain) like a disco, with heat transferred by atoms bumping into each other when they're in direct contact. Like a disco in that the people dancing are close to each other and so bump into each other - he tried to demonstrate... Never mind. Anyway, It's usually solids, though... but here it says that the air is in contact with the radiator, so I'll guess conduction.

c) This one's a classic convection. Convection takes place in fluids (i.e. liquids and gases), a typical example being a radiator heating up a room and the heat being transferred through the air in the room. The air near the radiator heats up and becomes less dense, causing it to rise. As it goes 'along the ceiling' and further from the radiator, it cools and so it becomes more dense again, so it sinks. Then it goes 'along the floor' and reaches the radiator again, etc. That's a convection current.

Hope that helps. :biggrin:
Reply 2
fishpie57
a) Through the walls i.e. through a solid. Conduction is heat transfer through solids, like when you're stirring some soup with a wooden spoon - if you did it with a metal spoon, the heat would conduct up the metal and burn your hand and it would hurt. So you use a wooden spoon.

b) Hmm... I'm guessing that's conduction again, because like the spoon and the soup, the hot air is directly in contact with the hot radiator. Though I'm not certain on that one. Conduction is (as my dear physics teacher tried to explain) like a disco, with heat transferred by atoms bumping into each other when they're in direct contact. Like a disco in that the people dancing are close to each other and so bump into each other - he tried to demonstrate... Never mind. Anyway, It's usually solids, though... but here it says that the air is in contact with the radiator, so I'll guess conduction.

c) This one's a classic convection. Convection takes place in fluids (i.e. liquids and gases), a typical example being a radiator heating up a room and the heat being transferred through the air in the room. The air near the radiator heats up and becomes less dense, causing it to rise. As it goes 'along the ceiling' and further from the radiator, it cools and so it becomes more dense again, so it sinks. Then it goes 'along the floor' and reaches the radiator again, etc. That's a convection current.

Hope that helps. :biggrin:

thx :P
a.Conduction
b.convection.
c.radiation

Quick Reply

Latest