The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It was OK, though the camera was restricted sometimes and viewers got a lovely shot of a cloths wiping the lense. Other than that I found it interesting...and helped for my revision which is a bonus :biggrin:
Moabubaker
Damn, wanted to watch this. Does anyone know how long it takes to come on 4oD catch up, after airing on TV? I'm checking now, it's not on.

If your interested mate, check this site out. Loads of taped surgeries, some sponsored though.

http://www.or-live.com/index.cfm
Reply 22
digitalis
If your interested mate, check this site out. Loads of taped surgeries, some sponsored though.

http://www.or-live.com/index.cfm

Hey, thanks a lot for the link, will check it out.
Moabubaker
Hey, thanks a lot for the link, will check it out.

Pleasure's mine.
digitalis
True. I saw some poor scrubbed cameraman leaning over the ether screen trying to get a shot of the field, bloody hard without getting in the way. It all seemed a little awkward tbh, lots of time filling "explaining" and sound problems. Hopefully they will clear it up before next week, it's certainly a novel idea.

Why next week? The next episode is on tonight, no?

I liked it, it was worth an hour of my time, and I'd just finished revising anatomy of the heart, so it was useful to hear about and see the valves, etc.
Reply 25
The surgeon did seem on top of things, and they were compensating for what wouldn't have been the case in a normal operation.

e.g. they said they were cooling the heart more regularly, because of the hot lights.

These guys aren't stupid, they knew what they were doing =] hehe

But yeah, the surgeon was definitely putting the patient first, and he knew when he needed to concentrate more, that the live feed should be switched off.

Its a shame it over run and they didnt show them restarting the heart - something I was quite looking forward to... Its being shown next week though =]

Really interesting show - brain surgery next week haha

edit: by next week, I guess I mean tonight - I thought it was weekly :tongue: hehe
Shayke
The surgeon did seem on top of things, and they were compensating for what wouldn't have been the case in a normal operation.

e.g. they said they were cooling the heart more regularly, because of the hot lights.

These guys aren't stupid, they knew what they were doing =] hehe

But yeah, the surgeon was definitely putting the patient first, and he knew when he needed to concentrate more, that the live feed should be switched off.

Its a shame it over run and they didnt show them restarting the heart - something I was quite looking forward to... Its being shown next week though =]

Really interesting show - brain surgery next week haha

The next episode is tonight:

http://www.channel4.com/explore/surgerylive/surgical2.html
Kudos to channel 4 for putting it on in my opinion, even though it was at a rather weird time.

I thought it was worth a watch, and while there were a few visual difficulties I thought they did the best they could without interfering too much.
Reply 28

Yeah cheers, I just realised after reading the post above mine and then checking the TV guide hehe =]
it was OK i guess, hopefully the brain surgeory one will be a bit more exciting for me
I enjoyed it, although the whole idea isn't particularly audience friendly.

When the host tried to ask questions only to be interrupted, followed by an awkward silence, I couldn't help but cringe for the guy.

Can't wait til tonight's one.
Reply 31
Going by the Facebook group quite a few people have been operated on by Francis Wells is he one of the few surgeons in the UK who can do it?
Lucy :)
Going by the Facebook group quite a few people have been operated on by Francis Wells is he one of the few surgeons in the UK who can do it?

what open heart surgery?

Im sure there are more than a few right? :confused:
Reply 33
Might be just that specific procedure...

According to a quick google, he has done 568 operations in the last 3 years. With a 96.8% survival rate.

And hes been practicing for 33 years.

He invented the clamp that is used to open the ribcage...

This guy is a pro. =]
Shayke
Might be just that specific procedure...

According to a quick google, he has done 568 operations in the last 3 years. With a 96.8% survival rate.

And hes been practicing for 33 years.

This guy is a pro. =]

i know where im going too when the ticker hits the fan :woo:

but he may be dead by then :frown:
Gah, I missed it. And by the looks of things the whole show won't be going on 4oD.
Reply 36
I bet they still got hundreds of complaints this morning even though it was on nearly 2 hours past the watershed.

Hopefully they'll have all the kinks ironed out for tonights show. Couldn't really understand the surgeon in the studio clearly last night.
Mushi_master
Gah, I missed it. And by the looks of things the whole show won't be going on 4oD.

You really didn't miss much
Reply 38
I watched it. It did get rather akward at times though, when they asked questions and there was no answer. And when the surgeon on the show told the surgeon who was operating about the camera. . .
My dad is the best cardiac surgeon around (and neurosurgeon).

Latest

Trending

Trending