The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was incredible
fascinating surgery and the technical problems weren't all that bad
I will be watching it again tonight
Reply 41
Lucy :)
Going by the Facebook group quite a few people have been operated on by Francis Wells is he one of the few surgeons in the UK who can do it?

I believe so - it was a mitral valve repair, right? He's also one of the most experienced at Papworth (which is saying something!)
Reply 42
I enjoyed it up to a point. It's the sort of thing I enjoyed more when I wasn't a medical student..
Reply 43
Two of my friends were in that documentary (his 'students'), and it was filmed about 20 feet from where I was on placement :proud:

Mr. Wells is a legend when it comes to mitral valve surgery.

I think the surgery tonight is with the two surgeons I was on placement with a few months ago *shameless plug*
Reply 44
Tonight is an awake craniotomy at Soton General :biggrin: I shamelessly googled the surgeon (Paul Grundy), the guy's a genius.
Reply 45
Alex D
Tonight is an awake craniotomy at Soton General :biggrin: I shamelessly googled the surgeon (Paul Grundy), the guy's a genius.

Probably pretty exciting stuff for you soton medics - have you got the chance of getting in and observe at all? lol
Alex D

Grundy, that rings a bell. What's he famous for?
Reply 47
Shayke
Probably pretty exciting stuff for you soton medics - have you got the chance of getting in and observe at all? lol

I don't start at Soton until September :p:
Reply 48
digitalis
Grundy, that rings a bell. What's he famous for?

No idea! He's chief of neuro-oncology at Southampton General if that's where you've heard of him? Perhaps a research paper?

Paul Grundy

P.S. How do you multi-quote? :p:
Alex D
P.S. How do you multi-quote? :p:

You just have to copy and paste the quotes across into the string of text. :smile:
Reply 50
Alex D
I don't start at Soton until September :p:

Ah yeah, got my dates wrong :s haha
Reply 51
Alex D

i remember speaking to him on work experience last year and it was only after i had spoken to him (when i googled him too) that i realised just how much he had advanced neurosurgery - i had no idea who he was when i was talking to him, let alone one of the country's best neurosurgeons!
grundy, has he published and written any papers..I recognise the name
Reply 53
Are operations usually carried out this late? Or are they just doing it this late to keep it Live?
Are operations usually carried out this late? Or are they just doing it this late to keep it Live?

i think to keep it live, i've never heard of one this time at night or weekends unless it was an emergency
Reply 55

No, most elective operations (i.e. not emergencies) - which I think all of these are, are normally done during the daytime. I'm guessing it's on this late because of watershed issues etc. Plus of course it's prime-time, nobody would be watching during the normal working day!
Helenia
No, most elective operations (i.e. not emergencies) - which I think all of these are, are normally done during the daytime. I'm guessing it's on this late because of watershed issues etc. Plus of course it's prime-time, nobody would be watching during the normal working day!

i dunno its not exactly primetime..11pm is kinda late!!! I'd have expected a time like 8pm..

I now have the debate to decide between watching this surgery or family guy...
I would NOT want a person operating on my brain to be silmultanously thinking about answering questions.
Reply 58
First episode I've watched so far...quite interesting.
Reply 59
Subcutaneous
i dunno its not exactly primetime..11pm is kinda late!!! I'd have expected a time like 8pm..

I now have the debate to decide between watching this surgery or family guy...

There's a 9pm (and I think a 10pm) watershed, which means you can't show certain things before that. Hence why it's not on at 8, I presume.

Latest

Trending

Trending