The Student Room Group

Has anyones phone ever gone off?

My alarm went off even though my phone was off yesterday in modern studies, and the invigilator said she had to report it. My bag was at the front of the room and I got up to turn it off, which i now realise i shouldnt have done, but i just wanted it to stop! S
he didnt say anything until i asked her, and even then she only said "nothing might happen, but something might happen"...helpful.

anyone know what will happen? I'm thinking the worst - that they could cancel my paper, which i feel i've done really well.

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know a phone went off in one of the exams at my school and their paper was cancelled but I don't know the circumstances, they might have taken it out their bag or something.
Reply 2
crap.
Reply 3
i had a similar piece of experience two years ago.after that happened,i explained the reason why my phone went off by writing a letter,that is i thought it wouldn't go off if turned off,but it would.the teacher forgave me,i guess,and everything was ok then.
just honestly tell your teacher you didn't know it would go off at the situation of being turned off,and say sorry sincerelly.
Reply 4
If you hadn't gotten up to turn it off then you might have been let off but I guess they have to report it as their duty etc etc. I know someone who's phone started ringing in SG Biology in their bag at the back and they didn't get their papers scrapped. If you explain properly it should be fine, though bear in mind the SQA posters say that electronic are not allowed IN the exam hall. Hope it goes OK!
I always freak out about this, I practically destroy my phone if i HAVE to take it in (even when leaving in bag!!) and usually give it to a friend whose not sitting the exam. If you explain it was just an alarm, you didn't realise it would still go off, and you weren't trying to contact anyone I don't see why they would cause a hugeee fuss. Good luck!
In one of my gcse's someone's phone went off in their bag so the invigilators took it upon themselves to go through everyones bags while we were working and took all the phones out (bearing in mind that all the phones except that one were switched off), even though we knew whose phone it was and she owned up herself. I sent my mum in and she was NOT happy.
huobamboo
i had a similar piece of experience two years ago.after that happened,i explained the reason why my phone went off by writing a letter,that is i thought it wouldn't go off if turned off,but it would.the teacher forgave me,i guess,and everything was ok then.
just honestly tell your teacher you didn't know it would go off at the situation of being turned off,and say sorry sincerelly.

but if this is a public exam then it will probably take more than apologising to the teacher
maybe write to the exam board?
Reply 8
You shouldnt have got up really.
:/
Reply 9
Jellynubbin
I always freak out about this, I practically destroy my phone if i HAVE to take it in (even when leaving in bag!!) and usually give it to a friend whose not sitting the exam. If you explain it was just an alarm, you didn't realise it would still go off, and you weren't trying to contact anyone I don't see why they would cause a hugeee fuss. Good luck!

Omg same. I take the battery out and get a friend to put it in their pocket. Someones phone went off during the History prelim, and her exam was voided and she was sent out. A vent also burst and the hall smelt like sewage :s-smilie:

But, a boys phone went off during the Maths exam, and he was told to turn it off, and he was going to get reported. He just went to the SQA co-ordinator and explained that he thought it was off, and that he was very sorry and he was let off the hook.
Reply 10
wow... i've heard 3 phones go off in our A level exams so far. No one was even told off for it.
Reply 11
When I was in 4th year someones phone fell out of their pocket in the english writing exam. Guess you can't really cheat at that. As far as I know nothing happened with his paper
they'll cancel your paper, they report it to the exam board and they'll disqualify you.

that's what they did to my mate sam for her phone going off.
I can't help you.

Why can't people just turn their phones off? This should be a lesson for others.
Reply 14
Ha, someone in the standard grade exam's hall phone went off, and because it was a huge exam with loadsa fourth years, like 300+ in the one hall nobody claimed the phone and there was too many bags to look for it

Hehe, the invigilator told us that one before higher music with a sort of grin, that everyone in the hall immediatly tried to look innocent when nobody would own up :smile:
Just do what I do, remove the battery and put it in another pocket. I'm still paranoid that somehow my battery is going to leap from the side pocket, into a small gap in the zip, fall onto the phone, knock the back off, slip into place, turn itself on and then have somebody ring me though.

I mean, it could happen.
My friend had a panic attack before higher English, cas she borrowed her mums watch for it and it had like an alarm on it. But it never went off...

Quite funny though.. Im thinking you had to be there though...x

Just do what I do, remove the battery and put it in another pocket. I'm still paranoid that somehow my battery is going to leap from the side pocket, into a small gap in the zip, fall onto the phone, knock the back off, slip into place, turn itself on and then have somebody ring me though.

I mean, it could happen.

Hahaa same!!
Now I just shove it in my locker along with everyone elses 'cas I'm the only on who remembers her padlock haha so if someone broke into it they'd get ahella of a lot of stuff x
RollerBall

I mean, it could happen.

but in an exam, why is it in your pocket anyway? why isn't it in your bag? teachers and invidulators make it pretty damn clear how significant it would be if your phone goes off, so why risk it going off IN THE HALL in the first place?
RollerBall

I mean, it could happen.

Same here!

My bag has got like 2 pockets, so I put my phone in the big pocket and battery in the smaller one =P

Paranoia ftl!

Latest

Trending

Trending