The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nope. You are only allowed to use 4 out of the 5 choices for 'high risk' courses (med, vet med etc). So you aren't allowed to do that.

Also...there would be no chance of you getting an interview for either med or vet med unless your personal statement shows a definate interest/dedication etc to that subject. Which you can't do if you are apply to both types of courses. I have/am applying for vet med and know that it is expected that your PS will talk about why yuo want to be a vet, work experience you have done etc. I am guessing medicine is the same.

They are fundament differences between the two courses, so if you don't know which you want to do, you will need to look at both and decide. If it is medicine you want, then dont waste your time applying for a totally different course.
No, you can't.
Reply 3
Actually, it IS technically possible apply to both:
http://www.ucas.com/students/startapplication/apply09/choices/

You can use your remaining choice(s) for any other subject. For example, if you have made four choices for medicine, you could still make one choice for veterinary medicine.

However, obviously it would be absolutely daft to apply to both, because there is no way you will be able to tailor a personal statement to fit both human and animal medicine. If you are not sure, you should take some time to figure out what you really want. Originally I was going to do vet med but I decided I wanted to be a doctor more. Since then I've not looked back, I know I've made the right decision.

Decide now!!!
Reply 4
eddysalted
Hi I was just wondering, if I choose to do medicine meaning only 4 med schools for my ucas, could the 5th choice be veterinary medicine?

Thanks, I couldnt find the answer anywhere.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Reply 5
kookabura
Nope. You are only allowed to use 4 out of the 5 choices for 'high risk' courses (med, vet med etc). So you aren't allowed to do that.

Also...there would be no chance of you getting an interview for either med or vet med unless your personal statement shows a definate interest/dedication etc to that subject. Which you can't do if you are apply to both types of courses. I have/am applying for vet med and know that it is expected that your PS will talk about why yuo want to be a vet, work experience you have done etc. I am guessing medicine is the same.

They are fundament differences between the two courses, so if you don't know which you want to do, you will need to look at both and decide. If it is medicine you want, then dont waste your time applying for a totally different course.

Not entirely true, a mate applied for four medical courses, one dentistry, and one biochem, getting offers for the dentistry, biochem, and one medicine.
Reply 6
digitalis

my thoughts exactly.
Reply 7
haha i love how the first two people were giving advice based on absolutely nothing....actually i dont love it, i hate it, but i love to point it out :/
Reply 8
terpineol
Not entirely true, a mate applied for four medical courses, one dentistry, and one biochem, getting offers for the dentistry, biochem, and one medicine.

Blimey. How did he play the admissions staff at interviews? Did he specify an interest in Max Fax or did he just tell the dental school he wanted to be a dentist, and the medical school he wanted to be a doctor? Hmm crafty...:ninja:
Reply 9
Shockley
Blimey. How did he play the admissions staff at interviews? Did he specify an interest in Max Fax or did he just tell the dental school he wanted to be a dentist, and the medical school he wanted to be a doctor? Hmm crafty...:ninja:

He reckons dundee were pretty desperate for dentists, his application was completely aimed at medicine.
Reply 10
Thanks nearly everyone, this was helpful.
could anyone plz tell me what is the difference between the codes A100 and A106 (UCAS codes) for medicine. Are they not the same courses? any help will be appreciated.
Reply 12
nun, macca.

Latest

Trending

Trending