The Student Room Group

Replacing meat with eggs?

I'm thinking of ditching my high meat diet for a while and going vegetarian instead just for ***** and giggles.

So instead I'm bumping my daily egg intake up to 10-20 per day. And perhaps 2 liters of milk daily.

Apart from that, it's just vegan food - lots of veggies, fruit and legumes. No supplements.

Apart from haem iron, are there any nutrients which can only be obtained from meat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Believe me when I say your going to get bored of eggs if your eating 10-20 a day. Also why exactly are you going to be a vegetarian, as for ***** and giggles it doesnt seem that funny?

Detail the diet you on at the minute, like whats your typical food intake
Reply 2
I hope you realise ONE Egg Yolk contains about two thirds of your daily cholesterol in take?
Barton1
Believe me when I say your going to get bored of eggs if your eating 10-20 a day. Also why exactly are you going to be a vegetarian, as for ***** and giggles it doesnt seem that funny?

Detail the diet you on at the minute, like whats your typical food intake

Getting bored, isn't a concern since I eat the same food mon-fri anyway. It's:

3 times per day:
1 can of sardines
1 cup of wholeweat pasta
1 cup leafy greens
1 cup crucies
1 cup mixed berries

twice per day:
bowl of oatmeal topped with trail mix, cinnamon and a bit of honey
4 boiled eggs
2 bananas

That's it really. Apart from that I drink lots of milk, green tea and water.
Reply 4
Don't! I hate it when people go vegetarian and decide that they've got to eat more dairy and eggs. No, no and NO! They're not good for you (eggs are really high cholesterol.) You need to replace meat and fish with beans, nuts, lentils, legumes, tofu etc NOT dairy and eggs! Keep your dairy and egg intake the same as when you eat meat (even reduce it) and up your intake of beans, nuts etc and vegetables.

Vitamin B12 is bit of a problem on veggie diets but if you eat a reasonable amount of dairy and egg products (not the completely ridiculous and unhealthy amount you're contemplating) you should get enough. Most breakfast cereals are fortified with it as well.
Reply 5
Insane To the Brain
Getting bored, isn't a concern since I eat the same food mon-fri anyway. It's:

3 times per day:
1 can of sardines
1 cup of wholeweat pasta
1 cup leafy greens
1 cup crucies
1 cup mixed berries

twice per day:
bowl of oatmeal topped with trail mix, cinnamon and a bit of honey
4 boiled eggs
2 bananas

That's it really. Apart from that I drink lots of milk, green tea and water.

Sorry if I've missed something, but this doesn't look like a "high meat diet" to me :p:
Hravan
Don't! I hate it when people go vegetarian and decide that they've got to eat more dairy and eggs. No, no and NO! They're not good for you (eggs are really high cholesterol.)

A recent study showed that the high levels of cholesterol in eggs aren't responsible for causing high cholesterol levels and for many it isn't a problem(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7882850.stm). Your body synthesises 70% of cholesterol, dietary intake has a small part to play, especially when you take into account other higher risk factors like smoking, high saturated fat intake, obesity, etc.
Reply 7
Aparently you're only supposed to eat like 2 eggs a week otherwise it becomes unhealthy...
Reply 8
So where is your diet of so much meat you talk of? As far as I see your diet seems fine. IF your getting bored mix it up abit, have tuna instead etc. Your onyl gona get more bored by taking meat/fish out your diet completley

Also lilrol, theres nothing wrong with colestrol and eggs. Far as I know there is no link to high colestrol and eggs.
Woooah, you're gonna be farting to high heaven.

Secure the main sail!!
Reply 10
Insane To the Brain
I'm thinking of ditching my high meat diet for a while and going vegetarian instead just for ***** and giggles.

So instead I'm bumping my daily egg intake up to 10-20 per day. And perhaps 2 liters of milk daily.

Apart from that, it's just vegan food - lots of veggies, fruit and legumes. No supplements.

Apart from haem iron, are there any nutrients which can only be obtained from meat?

what? your goign to eat 10-20 eggs per day ? are you mad? thats even more unhealthy that your meat eating OCD
Reply 11
Jelephant
Sorry if I've missed something, but this doesn't look like a "high meat diet" to me :p:

3 cans of sardenes per day is quite a lot of meat, thats 21 per week ! ewww
Jeester
Aparently you're only supposed to eat like 2 eggs a week otherwise it becomes unhealthy...

No. The health 'experts' have changed their views on dietary cholesterol and now say most people can eat as many as they want.
Reply 13
hayley99x
3 cans of sardenes per day is quite a lot of meat, thats 21 per week ! ewww

Isnt that much tbh. I have an average of about 30-36 eggs a week and an average of about 10 tins of tuna a week.
Lrilol
I hope you realise ONE Egg Yolk contains about two thirds of your daily cholesterol in take?

Oh **** off please!

Arse gravey of the worst kind!

Dietary cholesterol does not = bodily cholesterol you ******* tool!
Barton1
So where is your diet of so much meat you talk of? As far as I see your diet seems fine. IF your getting bored mix it up abit, have tuna instead etc. Your onyl gona get more bored by taking meat/fish out your diet completley

Also lilrol, theres nothing wrong with colestrol and eggs. Far as I know there is no link to high colestrol and eggs.

well 3 cans of sardines = about 300g so that's about 1.5kg of sardines per week? Dunno if that's a lot compared to what everyone else eats.

But I can go a little overboard with meat on the weekends too. I enjoyed 3 delicious kangaroo steaks just last sunday :yep:
Reply 16
you're gonna die soon if you continue eating eggs like that, just so you know
Insane To the Brain

This is not healthy! Eggs are high in colestrol, unless you're eating only the whites, I wouldn't have more than a couple a week.
Going veggie for the hell of it is a bit pointless and you'll struggle to stick to it. You could google a veggie diet to verse yourself in the benefits (there's plenty!)
There are no nutrients that can only be obtained from meat. I was vegan for 2 1/2 years and read a lot of literature about veganism. As long as the diet is balanced, it's a myth that you'll be lacking in vitamins. I was perfectly healthy during the time.
If you want a healthy veggie diet, eat lot of fruit and veg, some dairy and plenty of wholegrain foods like brown rice, pasta, cereal and brown bread. Plenty of water.... and you're done. Good luck
Reply 18
I still don't understand how you can give up on bacon, belly pork and duck and ARGH! There are just so many good meats! Why?!, Why are you doing this to me?!
Reply 19
Barton1
Isnt that much tbh. I have an average of about 30-36 eggs a week and an average of about 10 tins of tuna a week.

yes, and he's have 21 tins of sardenes a week!

Latest