The Student Room Group

Is it fair to say a sizable proportion of Scotland hate England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by burninginme
I try to be tolerant, but I really can't stand most Jocks. As far as I'm concerned we should rebuild Hadrians Wall and make sure all Scots, Brown especially are well the other side of it.

1) You clearly don't try hard enough

2) Taken literally you'd be banishing the Scots you can stand to the 'wrong' side of the wall too. Would you go and visit them or would you let them out to come back to England to see you?
3) You've made the mistake of generalising and jumped to the conclusion that the utterances of few eejit represents the views of all Scots

4) You need to think a rant through before going public to avoid making a fool of yourself

5) The arrogance of some English and certainly the media has a huge bearing on why some Scots dislike England. Try watching main news bulletins. I often hear complaints about that from my family who are still up there.

6) Thanks for letting me come down to England and take one of your jobs and marry one of your wimmin :smile:
Reply 81
The world is a big place. The British Isles are merely a grain of sand on the beach. So the divide between England and the Celtic nations is ridiculous. Whilst important we all maintain our individual cultures, it's worth noting that English, Scots, Welsh, Irish etc. have more in common with eachother than any other nationality in the world. Our sense of humour, our cuisine, our amazing ability to moan about everything. We all share this. We're making enemies out of our allies. Let's stop the hate and move forward.
Reply 82
This thread just won't die.
Original post by burninginme
Is it fair to say a sizable proportion of Scotland hate England?

No, not really. Is it fair to say all English are bigoted little cave-apes?

Don't, I'll answer that: No it isn't either. You on the other hand appear to put Britain to shame, please hush up whenever you feel you have something to say that is race or ethnically related.

The 'Scottish Problem' seems to me to consistently be 'The Little English Skinhead Goonsquad Spouting Nonsense Problem'.

It genuinely bothers me sometimes that I share a passport with those types of people.

The SNP have no-where near majority support in Scotland, and genuine anti-English hate seems to be confined to the same football hooligan spesh culture that spouts the "Scotland is ungrateful, **** Wales, in fact everywhere else in Britain but England are scroungers". Rich coming from people who haven't done an honest days work in their life.

Less stupid threads please TSR.
(edited 12 years ago)
I dislike scottish
We are not all the same on this isle. I quite like the Irish and the Welsh but I really don't like Scots. They are mean and dour.
I bet there are about 12 scottish people who genuinely hate england.
When Scots say things like we are 'arrogant' and think we are more important, I can only come to the conclusion it's envy. The fact is the British isles is arranged in such a way that England has that stature, not our fault. But we have London, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester etc, things we are proud of. Just like the French, Germans, we are a nation of that stature. Scotland resents that England makes up the majority and resents that it's own culture doesn't have enough impact, even though in fact it has huge impact politically.
We are no more arrogant then the French and the Germans, I have no patience with Europeans who moralise and as the above poster said, slag the English off. I love England and think there are many fair traits about our people, indeed I know French who've come to live here and love it. It's all jealousy in my view, plus, I think Scots are extremely arrogant actually, judgemental, swaggering, mean and nasty, if not patronising.
Reply 88
Original post by Leadbelly
The world is a big place. The British Isles are merely a grain of sand on the beach.

That must be a bloody tiny beach you're comparing the world to :tongue:
Reply 89
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
The 'Scottish Problem' seems to me to consistently be 'The Little English Skinhead Goonsquad Spouting Nonsense Problem'.

There is a problem - it's people happily swallowing the nonsense which comes out of the few at the expense of the rather ordinary views of the many. Yes, there are people in Scotland who'll take any opportunity to have a go at England - although usually this translates into a bizarre feat of cognitive dissonance where they rarely target any Englishman or woman in particular.

The majority, however, know fine well this is crap. If, however, someone has never been to Scotland and their only knowledge of it comes from the media, it's probably believable that the place is utterly backward.
Greatest thread ever since I move to Scotland tomorrow.
Reply 91
Original post by Chillaxer
When Scots say things like we are 'arrogant' and think we are more important, I can only come to the conclusion it's envy. The fact is the British isles is arranged in such a way that England has that stature, not our fault. But we have London, Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester etc, things we are proud of. Just like the French, Germans, we are a nation of that stature. Scotland resents that England makes up the majority and resents that it's own culture doesn't have enough impact, even though in fact it has huge impact politically.
We are no more arrogant then the French and the Germans, I have no patience with Europeans who moralise and as the above poster said, slag the English off. I love England and think there are many fair traits about our people, indeed I know French who've come to live here and love it. It's all jealousy in my view, plus, I think Scots are extremely arrogant actually, judgemental, swaggering, mean and nasty, if not patronising.

1) I can assure you it isn't envy

2) Don't you think it would be a bit strange if the few French people you had met didn't like it here. Of course some might have no choice (eg work) but on the whole they must like it if they have chosen to come/stay

3) Sweeping generalisations are narrow minded
(edited 12 years ago)
I wouldn't pay much attention to the jocks? If they aren't sipping buckfast on street corners they're fighting. I wouldn't take them seriously.
Reply 93
I'm orginally from England and moved to Scotland about seven years ago. I still have my English accent and whenever I speak, I see the faces fall of the people I'm speaking to. It's intimidating, but it doesn't make me hate the Scots. I've loved living in Scotland as much as I loved living in England.
Reply 94
The feelings are mutual
Original post by viffer
1) I can assure you it isn't envy

So why the self-righteousness then? Why act like your **** doesn't stink?
You people are the most arrogant of all with your judgemental proclimations about the English. It's a different culture, Scots have a calvinist rigid mindset so they can't grasp that. Most pf them would like to be somewhere else, lets face it, that's why they all buggered off to Canada, NZ, OZ, USA, London etc
(edited 12 years ago)
No if you are nice to people they will be nice back to you and don't try mimicking their accent either because it's not funny to them but English people insist on doing it.
Reply 97
Original post by Chillaxer
So why the self-righteousness then? Why act like your **** doesn't stink?
You people are the most arrogant of all with your judgemental proclimations about the English. It's a different culture, Scots have a calvinist rigid mindset so they can't grasp that. Most pf them would like to be somewhere else, lets face it, that's why they all buggered off to Canada, NZ, OZ, USA, London etc

Yet another silly sweeping generalisation.
I don't hate England...

I don't know anyone who genuinely does hate England. Except my brother.. but he's obsessed with the SNP and believes every word they say.

Thought I'd put this out there though:

Bank of England notes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland...

Scottish notes are legal currency all over the UK though. I had a guy telling me about a time he was in England and tried to buy something with a Scottish note. The shop refused so he phoned the police, who told the person in the shop that either they accept the money, or he didn't have to pay. Not sure how true it is though...

Also cheques, credit and debit cards aren't legal tender but it doesn't stop them being used.
Reply 99
Dunno about Scotland hating England, but it sure is the other way round

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending