The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Drink of choice?

Just wondering... what's everyones drink of choice...what's going to be the first bar request to celebrate the beginning of the rest of our wild student lives?

I'll start you off... White wine spritz for me (just to warm up on of course!)

What's everyone elses? Free drinks on me when we get there! -note previous statement might not actually happen! :redface:

Also where is everyone planning to apply halls wise...I was thinking either Hiatt Baker or University Hall, to avoid the disappointment of not getting into the over subscribed ones...e.g Willis etc...do you guys think it's a sensible strategy or should I just bug*er it and go for Durdham?
Reply 1
cynthia86
Just wondering... what's everyones drink of choice...what's going to be the first bar request to celebrate the beginning of the rest of our wild student lives?

I'll start you off... White wine spritz for me (just to warm up on of course!)

I'll have to be boring and say a plain old pint of lager... Carling if it's just a light refreshment, Stella if it's the start of a serious drinking session.

Though when i'm drunk enough the Aftershock bottle always comes out.

cynthia86

Also where is everyone planning to apply halls wise...I was thinking either Hiatt Baker or University Hall, to avoid the disappointment of not getting into the over subscribed ones...e.g Willis etc...do you guys think it's a sensible strategy or should I just bug*er it and go for Durdham?

I'm past the whole "what if i don't get into my first choice hall?" stage now. My first choice is Wills and that's where i'll apply. I'm sure i'll be quite happy staying in any of the catered halls in Stoke Bishop. For me, the quality of company is more important than the hall itself.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Ooh, I like Archers and cranberry juice, and Malibu and coke, and vodka with just about anything!

But for girlie nights in you can't beat white wine.
Reply 3
susiemakemeblue
Ooh, I like Archers and cranberry juice, and Malibu and coke, and vodka with just about anything!

But for girlie nights in you can't beat white wine.

Double vodka/archers + mixer for £1.50 in happy hour at durdham at the minute :smile:

I prefer ales - I got sick of carling and stella after my first year. Tanglefoot would be my drink of choice next fresher's week!
Reply 4
I'm teetotal, so apple and melon J2O for me. :biggrin: Preferably accompanied by an apple Chupa Chups.

Hiatt Baker rules - apply there! We've got the technicolour dream bar!
Reply 5
Insatiable
I'm teetotal, so apple and melon J2O for me. :biggrin: Preferably accompanied by an apple Chupa Chups.

Every time I go to HB, they have a DJ playing drum and bass in the corner :frown:
Double vodka redbull or a nice glass (or bottle!) of sauvignon blanc. Or sambuca shots if I want to get pissed quickly!
Reply 7
Peter_E
Every time I go to HB, they have a DJ playing drum and bass in the corner :frown:

Really!? They had some crappy DJs for the ball the other week, but I can't think of any other times I've seen one there. Shame - guess you must just be unlucky. :frown:
Reply 8
Insatiable
Really!? They had some crappy DJs for the ball the other week, but I can't think of any other times I've seen one there. Shame - guess you must just be unlucky. :frown:

I guess. I heard it was refurbished over Easter? How's it looking?
Reply 9
Peter_E
I guess. I heard it was refurbished over Easter? How's it looking?

Most of the room itself is the same, but the actual bar itself is totally new. It's pretty nifty, with perspex panels on the front with lights behind them that change colour. :biggrin:
Whisky on the rocks or sambuca.
Reply 11
Cape Cod's

Vodka + Cranberry Juice + A **** load of limes!!!! mmmmm
Reply 12
readingnikki
Double vodka redbull or a nice glass (or bottle!) of sauvignon blanc. Or sambuca shots if I want to get pissed quickly!

Ooo same for me! And Malibu and Coke. Yum yum.
Reply 13
Insatiable

Are you at Hiatt Baker? I'm thinking of applying there... want to go catered and (I hear) it's got the second best food in Stoke Bishop.. I'm guessing Wills is first but I'm not sure I'd like the atmosphere there as much - and it's oversubcribed... and I'm afraid of the Churchill / Badock food. Ack, decisions!

Just to make this revelent to the thread - malibu and coke. Yum.
Hiatt Baker? Second best food in Stoke Bishop?! I can't comment personally, but the Wills online newsletter paints a rather different picture, claiming that incumbent tramps moved out because the food wasn't up to scratch: http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Wills/jcr/issue1.pdf (page 3)

Oh! BTW, I like lager, turbo-shandy (1 bottle of lager and one Smirnoff Ice), and the legendary Long Island Iced Tea.
Reply 15
Haha... I've already seen that. They can't all be like that at HB, surely... the food comment is true, though. I think I found it in the alternative prospectus.
Reply 16
Turbo Shandy's rule. The colour puts some people off a bit tho. I usually start on pints then later in the evening I get on to the shots.

As for accommodation I haven't got a clue. I was thinking of applying for Durdham, but looking at the application number I think I'll probably aqpply for one of the less popular halls for Self Catered. Any reccommendations?

Latest