The Student Room Group

Do Americans treat Britain in a "little bro" type way?

Not all Americans, certainly, but I've found when speaking to Americans online, and a few in real life, the majority definately seem to be favourable of Britain, and often quite like us as a country and people, however, they often seem to have this attitude towards us as if we're their "unsophisticated, little brother" and their the big, proud, strong, cultured Americans that the world over wishes they were also.

Americans certainly seem to like us in general, but I feel it's for all the wrong reasons. I wouldn't say Americans have a mutual respect for us, and they don't treat the two countries as being equals. I think they like us because they perceive Britain people to be eccentric people with many oddities and idiosyncrasies that are only found on the British isles.

In light of their ideas of sophistication, they also seem to have the perception that America is the only country in the world with any multicultural influence, and they seem baffled by the idea that Britain would have taken influence in it's modern culture from any culture other than what they perceive to be native British culture (ie tea and scones, afternoon tea, etc). I remember reading on the imdb.com forums discussion a British film, and there was a Black British bloke in it, and an American refered to him as "the African-American", even though he had a clearly British accent and the film had no link to the US what so ever.

Basically I get the impression that Americans view Britain as being their strange little kid brother who while they do like dearly, doesn't view him as being equal, more like that little kid who you might pat on the head to tell him he's a good boy and sometimes when you're out doing big jobs you might let him come along for the ride and give you a bit of token help.
Reply 1
So you're saying, not all British people sip tea, eat crumpets and live in castles?!
Reply 2
Huh, I've talked to plenty of Americans and never really felt that. I think you're reading far too much into things. Has anyone ever said anything like this to you? Or did you get it all from 'impressions'? (<-Not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking).
Reply 3
Tefhel
Huh, I've talked to plenty of Americans and never really felt that. I think you're reading far too much into things. Has anyone ever said anything like this to you? Or did you get it all from 'impressions'? (<-Not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking).

Another example, I remember speaking to this women in America (who seemed perfectly normal, not strange at all), and she was trying to tell me how she and her husband had lived in the UK for a few months because of his job, and she couldn't remember the name of the town and was trying to describe it to me as if I knew every town in the UK or something, she was going like "Yeah, there's a cross roads, near the green, I think there's some memorial, you know..etc".

She was obviously describing an insignificant little town, and she seemed to think I would know. They really seem to have this perception that the UK is a tiny little island in which everyones it like the back of their hand and it's so small you must have been everywhere.
Haha I was speaking to and american from utah university and we ended up having an argument about whose country was going down the sh*thole the most :P
Reply 5
i'd say their our little brother always trying to better their big brother(uk).
Reply 6
burninginme
Another example, I remember speaking to this women in America (who seemed perfectly normal, not strange at all), and she was trying to tell me how she and her husband had lived in the UK for a few months because of his job, and she couldn't remember the name of the town and was trying to describe it to me as if I knew every town in the UK or something, she was going like "Yeah, there's a cross roads, near the green, I think there's some memorial, you know..etc".

She was obviously describing an insignificant little town, and she seemed to think I would know. They really seem to have this perception that the UK is a tiny little island in which everyones it like the back of their hand and it's so small you must have been everywhere.

lol but it is a tiny little island.
Reply 7
burninginme

Lol, i know someone from birmingham, and an american said to them he knew someone rom there, and if he knew them.
burninginme

Well, we do live on a really small island. It is possible to visit most of the places in the UK really quickly... however, people don't seem to move around and visit many cities. I think this comes down to the fact that Americans usually go on holiday in their on country. They usually take breaks and drive somewhere across state... maybe that lady you encountered thinks we do the same?

I really don't know. In my personal experience (I've only spoken to about 5 Americans) I haven't found what you are saying OP... but that doesn't make your own personal experience any less real of course.
burninginme
Not all Americans, certainly, but I've found when speaking to Americans online, and a few in real life, the majority definately seem to be favourable of Britain, and often quite like us as a country and people, however, they often seem to have this attitude towards us as if we're their "unsophisticated, little brother" and their the big, proud, strong, cultured Americans that the world over wishes they were also.

Americans certainly seem to like us in general, but I feel it's for all the wrong reasons. I wouldn't say Americans have a mutual respect for us, and they don't treat the two countries as being equals. I think they like us because they perceive Britain people to be eccentric people with many oddities and idiosyncrasies that are only found on the British isles.

In light of their ideas of sophistication, they also seem to have the perception that America is the only country in the world with any multicultural influence, and they seem baffled by the idea that Britain would have taken influence in it's modern culture from any culture other than what they perceive to be native British culture (ie tea and scones, afternoon tea, etc). I remember reading on the imdb.com forums discussion a British film, and there was a Black British bloke in it, and an American refered to him as "the African-American", even though he had a clearly British accent and the film had no link to the US what so ever.

Basically I get the impression that Americans view Britain as being their strange little kid brother who while they do like dearly, doesn't view him as being equal, more like that little kid who you might pat on the head to tell him he's a good boy and sometimes when you're out doing big jobs you might let him come along for the ride and give you a bit of token help.

Yeah! I agree, even simple little things,

"You guys know of Facebook?"

And we all talk like Geoffrey from the Fresh Prince apparently, oh and Eton College boys play polo and are all fit.
Reply 10
burninginme

Oh yeah, I've seen that, but not all americans are like that. But, yeah, some also think we've all met the Queen. I just say to them that we all know her and that we call her Betty.
When I went to America in year 8, these kids my age came up to me and asked " Do you like have electricity in England" and another one " Do you live in a castle with the queen". !!!
Reply 12
I used to live in America, and I once got asked how I learnt to speak American :biggrin:.
I think that some Americans just don't know very much about the rest of the world. But you'll probably find people in the UK who are the same.
And really, I don't think that many americans really care that much about the uk to think of it as their "baby brother"?
"strong, cultured Americans"

wait, what?
The analogy I used to use is that Britain is the big older, more experienced brother who has done was the little brother (USA) is doing now, walking out with it's chest puffed out thinking it's the ********, cocky, powerful, and all that.

However compared to the UK and other countries the USA is still a young country. I like to think that the UK is generally more mellow and has learnt from at least a few of it's mistakes.

Latest

Trending

Trending