The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1
xmaspoop
hmm just wondering what kind of sport teams bristol has... i'm interested in rowing (learned that while at harvard) and i was wondering if bristol has a rowing team (novice/senior, either works!)... what's the main sport at bristol?
thanks in advance!

Bristol has a team or society for pretty much every sport you can think of. As for rowing, it's taken pretty seriously - we have a varsity race with UWE down the road each year.

Check out www.bristolau.co.uk for more details.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
What about American Sports at Bristol, any American Football? Even touch football would do!?
Reply 3
Geordie_in_HK
What about American Sports at Bristol, any American Football? Even touch football would do!?

Ever heard of Rugby...
American football is rugby for pansies. :wink:
I played rugby at school but switched to US football cos it's a tougher game. Ever thought how much 300lbs of muscle running at 15mph hurts when it lays you out? They wear armour for a reason - in rugby you can't even tackle a man when he is in the air or if he doesn't have the ball. US football takes more skill and organisation.
Reply 6
They have a fencing society, I plan to join :biggrin: . I got several trophies and plan to get more :smile:
Geordie_in_HK
I played rugby at school but switched to US football cos it's a tougher game. Ever thought how much 300lbs of muscle running at 15mph hurts when it lays you out? They wear armour for a reason - in rugby you can't even tackle a man when he is in the air or if he doesn't have the ball. US football takes more skill and organisation.

Yeah, and what's the point of attacking someone who doesn't have the ball?

:rolleyes:
girls and sport.... like oil and water
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! I just don't think it's very sporting to attack someone purely for the purposes of injuring them so they can't play!

I have nothing against rough sports, but it should always be against the rules to attack someone who doesn't have the ball.

PS - I've represented various schools and colleges in no less than 4 different sports, thank you very much. :p:
haha okay, maybe there are exceptions!
:smile::smile:
Reply 12
whats the rugby team like?
American football is a far more anaerobic sport than rugby, hence the size differences in the top athletes - Linemen in Football are a good bit heavier than rugby props, etc. But I disagree with the organisation statement, lineouts and scrums are usually very organised, but it would be true to say that tactics can play a far more significant role in football than rugby. The stanford rugby team that represented the USA at the 1924 olympics left football (there main sport) apparently because they detested the coach dominated and what they described as 'soft' game of football. But then its different eras and whatever sport you prefer u prefer.
Reply 13
Springcoil
whats the rugby team like?
American football is a far more anaerobic sport than rugby, hence the size differences in the top athletes - Linemen in Football are a good bit heavier than rugby props, etc. But I disagree with the organisation statement, lineouts and scrums are usually very organised, but it would be true to say that tactics can play a far more significant role in football than rugby. The stanford rugby team that represented the USA at the 1924 olympics left football (there main sport) apparently because they detested the coach dominated and what they described as 'soft' game of football. But then its different eras and whatever sport you prefer u prefer.

They play american football without oxygen?! :eek: :p:
no, it's a series of short sprints - not prolonged running like rugby or soccer.

Latest