The Student Room Group

Cartilage Piercing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myblueheaven339
Or possibly the blunt force trauma caused by piercing with a too blunt stud instead of a sterile needle.

Piercing is hardly a highly regulated industry. Anyone can buy a piercing gun on the internet and poke away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone can buy needles online? Whats your point, i know of nobody who has had problems with a gun , the earrings arnt too blunt, the ones you get from caflon and very sharp and for use of the gun only, and nobody can just poke away with a gun, they need a license, the council need to know and they need insurance, none of that and they will face big consequences.
Original post by Bamitznicole
Anyone can buy needles online? Whats your point, i know of nobody who has had problems with a gun , the earrings arnt too blunt, the ones you get from caflon and very sharp and for use of the gun only, and nobody can just poke away with a gun, they need a license, the council need to know and they need insurance, none of that and they will face big consequences.

My point is that it is not well regulated. We have confiscated piercing guns from children in schools, I know more than one person who has purchased one off eBay and pierced their friends.

Any reputable piercer will reiterate the problems that I have mentioned about piercing guns, especially when used on cartilage. A sterile needle is considerably sharper than an earring used in guns and therefore requires far less force in order to pierce the tissue, resulting in less trauma to the tissue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];19114015']Please make sure you go somewhere reputable, and DON'T get it done with a gun.

why not? i was planning to do it :s
Original post by Bliss_
why not? i was planning to do it :s

Needles are cleaner, safer and are less likely to cause problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by myblueheaven339
Needles are cleaner, safer and are less likely to cause problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont they hurt more?
I had my scaffold done a few years ago, it hurt but heyho - you're putting a hole in your body.

It took a year to completely heal and no matter how well I looked after it, it got a bit sore every few weeks BUT sleeping on it and my hair didn't help the healing process - it's all good now :wink:
Cost me £20 because it was 2 holes and a bar.

I did a lot of research and everywhere said go to a reputable person who uses needles - guns can actually shatter the cartilage as you're firing an (almost) blunt object through your skin. Needles are a lot more sterile because once it's used it is thrown away unlike a gun which has to be cleaned after each use - so there is trusting the person using it to clean it properly.
Original post by Bliss_
dont they hurt more?

No. They're sharper so cause less trauma as less force is needed. They also allow for appropriate length jewellery to be used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Piercing with a gun causes blunt force trauma to the ear, this can send tiny shards of your cartilage out of the back of you ear (piercing) , also using a gun is a puncture to the ear instead of a needle which causes a cut, it's still piercing but the shape of a piercing needle is designed to be hollow and cut. Cuts heal quicker and with less problems than a puncture, also guns cause more swelling and as you know swelling causes pain so really really don't recommend getting any piercings with a gun. I had both my lobes done with a gun when I was about 10, I'm now 15 and have my lobes stretched upto 8mm, this was a really painful experience as anyone who's stretched their ears will know it makes tiny little Fisher like cuts around the piercing hole which heals to the shape of the taper, therefor stretching the hole. But as mine were done with a gun instead of a needle it scarred the entire inside of my ear and made stretching very painful and problematic. End of the day if you want a piercing to last you a lifetime bypass guns COMPLETELY, they will cause more bad than good.
Got my tragus done, only hurt whilst the piercer was putting it in other than that didn’t really hurt unless I went out of my way to touch it or my hair got caught in the piercing. Maybe that’s because I have a semi high pain tolerance 😅
Were did u get urs done ???!!!
Why not a gun ?
You can’t swim for six weeks after getting something pierced
Im 13 too im not sure how much it will be but mine was £41 it doesn't hurt that much when u first get it done then it aches for about 30mins also i got mine with a gun at claires and im still alive type of earing i would GO for a stud made of stainless steal or silver DO NOT GO FOR GOLD as it may contain nickle which will irritate the skin taking a long time to heal i hope this helped
Reply 33
Did the cartilage hurt really bad
I had mine done with a gun 14 weeks ago and still really painful now even moving the hoop as it still crusting up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending