The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lozza
i had 17 lessons and took 2 1/2 months. however i had my own car and was driving to school a lot of days. i've been driving over two years now and i f*cking hate driving in cam. it's not worth it.

So they actually let u drive in cambridge? Aren't u undergrad?
:driver: thought it was really cute and kinda corresponded to the theme of the thread... :biggrin:
French Pikachu
:driver: thought it was really cute and kinda corresponded to the theme of the thread... :biggrin:

awwww :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DGYWV/qid=1115564465/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-5690820-7134006

its called

Driving Test Success DELUXE 2003/2004 Edition (4 CD SET)

is what i used and found to be relly good

most whsmiths have them
specialhelen
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DGYWV/qid=1115564465/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-5690820-7134006

its called

Driving Test Success DELUXE 2003/2004 Edition (4 CD SET)

is what i used and found to be relly good

most whsmiths have them

There are no whsmith here but I'll order it on Amazon, thx billions :smile:
Reply 25
I haven't started to drive either, and I'm not really sure if I want to at uni anyway...Driving lessons where I live all seem to work out at about £23-25 for an hour.

Lozza, you learnt to drive so quickly! I was thinking about trying to go on one of these learn to drive in a week programmes, but I don't think I would get enough experience...Has anyone ever been on one of these or heard anything about them?

I heard it was better to have a driving test in late autumn/early spring, because there's more chance of rain, which means not having to get out of the car and check the bonnet etc., hehe.
Reply 26
Michael Mourao
So they actually let u drive in cambridge? Aren't u undergrad?

yeah i'm an undergrad. they can't stop you driving in cam! how can they? they tell you you can't have a car, but how am i supposed to get my stuff home without one? the thing is, they have really stupid rules, for example saying undergrads can't get married, but in reality it's like against human rights or something!

but it's not like you need a car in cam. the nearest place i could park it (for free) to my college is a further walk than my lectures! it's bikes all the way, but they're really dangerous, because i dont think a lot of cyclists know the rules of the road and probably dont have drivers' licences. a lot of them cycle thru red lights and on pavements etc. ive had a few accidents where ive hit another cyclist or a pedestrian walking into the road without looking (tourists think you can do that without being killed), and when driving i did almost hit a cyclist who did something rather stupid... i think all cyclists should have to have a driver's licence.

driving is easy...just not in cam
Reply 27
I think I'll just stick to my bike then and risk life and limb in the city. I suppose with so many bikes there must be some degree of decent cycle paths... :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Im gonna hijack this thread and ask...... what about homerton PGCE students. Does anyone know anything about them keeping cars at uni?
Reply 29
Don't medics need a car to drive to hospitals for training?
Reply 30
jd27
Don't medics need a car to drive to hospitals for training?

medics are post grads. they dont necessarily live in college...non of corpus' posties live in college; where they do live, they have space for parking.

oh there are bike paths alright...they're just full of idiots who dont know how to follow road signs.
Reply 31
Lozza
but it's not like you need a car in cam. the nearest place i could park it (for free) to my college is a further walk than my lectures! it's bikes all the way, but they're really dangerous, because i dont think a lot of cyclists know the rules of the road and probably dont have drivers' licences. a lot of them cycle thru red lights and on pavements etc. ive had a few accidents where ive hit another cyclist or a pedestrian walking into the road without looking (tourists think you can do that without being killed), and when driving i did almost hit a cyclist who did something rather stupid... i think all cyclists should have to have a driver's licence.

driving is easy...just not in cam

Hehe, you probably wouldn't like my cycling :p:

It's all about the confidence, going fast enough and keeping your wits about you. I normally stop for traffic lights at red but pedestrian crossings are fair game, I only cycle on the pavement once you hit the 40 zone on Magdingley road---but if you believe the warnings you ought not to go anywhere near that road even if walking :rolleyes:. I came -->||<-- this close to hitting a tourist over the summer, I was on a green coming down castle hill at speed (ie pedalling) turning right and they decided to cross the side street I was turning into, I didn't want to stop so I went for the gap. It was tighter than I wanted though because they moved and I was nearly horizontal to make it round the corner!

Oh, and I haven't taken my driving test yet, but failed my cycling prof. test lol. Fortunately for Cambridge, I prefer walking so don't cycle often, but it does mean when I do I'm normally missioning it somewhere and paying scant attention to what I should do on the road!

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending