The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's very redbrick and modern (so it's not very traditional cambridgewise). But a plus is that the facilities are great (ensuite rooms etc) and it's right next to the university library!
Reply 2
Adhsur
It's very redbrick and modern (so it's not very traditional cambridgewise). But a plus is that the facilities are great (ensuite rooms etc) and it's right next to the university library!

Is being next to the UL a plus??
Reply 3
DanMushMan

Ummm, minimal walking distance for the lazy ones amongst us?
Reply 4
DanMushMan

Depends if it's near your lectures or not :smile:
Reply 5
Adhsur
Ummm, minimal walking distance for the lazy ones amongst us?

but who ever goes there?
Reply 6
DanMushMan
but who ever goes there?

I thought people did. Forgive my lack of knowledge of life at cambridge.
Reply 7
Adhsur

we can't even borrow books there, its just a big scary building.
Reply 8
Adhsur

People do have to occasionally use a library!!! I don't wanna spend £35 on a text book that i'll only need to use for one unit, so I borrow it from the library instead!!! You aren't wrong Adhsur!!!

Ps - Wheres that rep you promised all those weeks ago, eh?!
Reply 9
Chicken
People do have to occasionally use a library!!! I don't wanna spend £35 on a text book that i'll only need to use for one unit, so I borrow it from the library instead!!! You aren't wrong Adhsur!!!

Thank you for that Chicky!! As for the rep, I keep meaning to but I'm not allowed at present.
Chicken

um, yes she was.
Each college has at least one library, most have more, which allows you to borrow books. You can't borrow stuff from the UL in your first 2 years, so as a borrowing library its pretty crap. Your college libraries should have all the books you need.
Please don't talk like that if you don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 11
DanMushMan
Please don't talk like that if you don't know what you're talking about.

Me? I'm sorry...from maps and various intuitive conjectures I thought I was right! I didn't intend to mislead anyone - I just thought it would be the best library since it is THE university library. I didn't think it was practically unusable.
Adhsur
Me? I'm sorry...from maps and various intuitive conjectures I thought I was right! I didn't intend to mislead anyone - I just thought it would be the best library since it is THE university library. I didn't think it was practically unusable.

(was talking to chicken)
By all means, visit the UL, but its not really that spectacular and don't chose your college based on its proximity to it.
Reply 13
DanMushMan
(was talking to chicken)
By all means, visit the UL, but its not really that spectacular and don't chose your college based on its proximity to it.

I see. Thank you for that!
Reply 14
Adhsur

Oh, it probably is the best library, but you're not allowed to take out books for the first two years and, well, it just looks a bit scary! As for proximity, Clare's Mem court is the closest, in fact I couldn't live any closer to it, but I still haven't been in there. For most mainstream subjects your college library has everything you need, but for research etc, or if some bastard has taken out all the books you want (doesn't happen to me, cos they have multiple copies of all the useful medical books, but my next door neighbour, a theologian, has to go there sometimes cos the selection of books he needs is rather limited in college).

I wouldn't say it was practically unusable (although I don't really know!) but apparently they have nice tea rooms. I wouldn't say it was one of the reasons to pick a college though - if you're lazy, the most important thing is to be near lecture theatres, which is why apparently Downing has loads of medics, not that I've met any of them. Besides, some colleges' second year accommodation is not in the same place as the main buildings - like us and the Colony....grrrr, so even that's hard to decide.
Adhsur

Touchy Dan, touchy... The UL is a pain because it has all these books and you can't borrow them in the 1st 2 years. However, Newnham has the biggest college library, each tripos has a library and I still get stuck for books sometimes. Then it is useful being at the UL where you can use the books to do work in the library.

Latest

Trending

Trending