Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Literary Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here are some of the last books I read in the past week:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    A beautiful classic book, showing the most ambitious work of Steinbeck in his life.

The clique by Lisi Harrison
    The most sh** book on the planet. Don't ever read it. Honestly.

The Greatest American Essays of the 21st century
    Sounds tedious, but is actually enlightening and very interesting. A long read, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    erm... wilbur smith is a safe bet for something exciting, heroic and slightly romantic...

i loved when the lion feeds and monsoon...

ooh, try memoirs of a geisha, its really beautiful to read.

philip pullman et al are also really good, but most of you already know that...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    This is a thread for books,authors,your fav genres in literature etc
    feel free to recomend books you like,and if you can be bothered,give a short summary of them.refrain from fibbing though :rolleyes:

I was wondering whether anyone reads James Paterson here.i read this book by him called "When The Wind Blows' and i liked it.is there a sequel?
    and also,i was wondering about new stuff by Terry Pratchett?i'm abit dissapointed there wern't more in the Johnny Maxwell series
    Did James Patterson write Pop Goes The Weasel and Roses Are Red?

I enjoyed the former more than the latter. It sort of ended too soon (a bit like the film The Village") more could have been done with it.

I'm a big fan of the Lee Child books, i've read all of them so far I like crime/thriller books mostly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great thread - I love talking about books!!

Here's a short list of my favourites, I've limited myself to ten, which was extremely difficult -

The Roses of No Mans Land – Lyn MacDonald
    1984 – George Orwell
    Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
    We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
    The Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas – Hunter Thompson
    Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
    The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
    Player Piano – Kurt Vonnegut
    Lord of the Flies – William Golding
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milady)
    I own the Bartimaus trilogy (or the first two books anyway, has the third come out?). I like bartimaus the best, i thought there was not enough of him in the second one, and too much of kitty (she was ok, but she wasn't bartimaus).
    i think nathaniel is great!oily greasy haired contemptous bastard!
    why do i like him? :confused:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    Did James Patterson write Pop Goes The Weasel and Roses Are Red?
    what a coincidence!i'm reading Roses Are Red right now.just started it;i'm at the part where they've hijacked the tour bus

anyways,has anyone read anything by Cornelia Funke and Phillip Pullman?(<other then His Dark materials obviously)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what a coincidence!i'm reading Roses Are Red right now.just started it;i'm at the part where they've hijacked the tour bus

anyways,has anyone read anything by Cornelia Funke and Phillip Pullman?(<other then His Dark materials obviously)
    I started reading the other Pullman books, but found them a little boring. That was a while ago now though, perhpas I should try again.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    I started reading the other Pullman books, but found them a little boring. That was a while ago now though, perhpas I should try again.
    yes,i always thought His Dark Materials was far superior to the rest.same with Jonathan Stroud;The Bartimaeus Trilogy is so much better than Buried Fire and The Leap.

oh,i just read Ark Angel - finally!!

is there a book after The Lake House(james Paterson)?(<the one about the winged children,the 1rst book was called When The Wind Blows)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_bex)
    ooh, try memoirs of a geisha, its really beautiful to read.

philip pullman et al are also really good, but most of you already know that...

Memoirs of a Geisha...I remember that one. Haven't reread it in a while.

Also 'nine lives of Chloe King' was a fun read. Slightly surreal, very kick ass.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes,i always thought His Dark Materials was far superior to the rest.same with Jonathan Stroud;The Bartimaeus Trilogy is so much better than Buried Fire and The Leap.

oh,i just read Ark Angel - finally!!

is there a book after The Lake House(james Paterson)?(<the one about the winged children,the 1rst book was called When The Wind Blows)

I didnt know there were any more Stroud books :p:

What did you think of Ark Angel
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know there were any more Stroud books :p:

What did you think of Ark Angel
    Ark Angel was good.though i would've liked him to die.he's been too lucky...and luck has to run out.same for harry potter.i'm waiting for him to drop dead any moment now :eek:

people;lets keep this soc alive!!surely Staylor,Icefleur and i arn't the only online nerds? :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ark Angel was good.though i would've liked him to die.he's been too lucky...and luck has to run out.same for harry potter.i'm waiting for him to drop dead any moment now :eek:

people;lets keep this soc alive!!surely Staylor,Icefleur and i arn't the only online nerds? :rolleyes:
    Especially on TSR - you'd have thought this would be the largest nerd meeting place on the Internet :rolleyes:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Especially on TSR - you'd have thought this would be the largest nerd meeting place on the Internet :rolleyes:
    careful!!they have pitchforks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, just because we are nerds doesn't mean we read a lot of books (although saying that I do).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Well, just because we are nerds doesn't mean we read a lot of books (although saying that I do).
    whats your fav book/s?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    whats your fav book/s?
    I would actually say the silmarillion, although I enjoyed reading LOTR and the unfinished tales as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You aren't I just haven't read any of the books you are talking about and so would feel wrong even trying to comment on them. =X
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oooh, I highly recommend 'Perdido Street Station' for any sci-fi or fantasy fants. I'm reading it at the moment and it's so macabre and weird, it's awesome :-)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    You aren't I just haven't read any of the books you are talking about and so would feel wrong even trying to comment on them. =X
    but you can always start a conversation about something else.i always thought there should be a subforum for books and since there isnt,i created the soc.feel free to say anything on your mind!
    well,not anything
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    YO-LESS
    ARE you ignoring me now? have i scared you? i tried to warn you?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.