Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Literary Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    I didn't realise I came across as being so gruesome. I found Stephen King's novels pretty hard to get into, but I always assumed that was because of the type of genre he usually sticks to.. they just weren't the sort of book I'd usually read.

Can you believe that I still haven't finished The Feast of Crows by George Martin?! I've been so busy with school, I haven't had time to even open it. I really want to get back into the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxay so I want to get the Feast of Crows finished. I'm starting to agree with what I've heard other people say about the fourth book.. it does drag on a bit. I guess after such an eventful novel like A Storm of Swords, anything would look slow and dreary, but not much has really happened so far.

You're not reading anything at the moment?! Blasphemy! I've been hanging out in the library everyday this week to do revision, but I often get distracted by all the lovely books lying on the shelves just waiting to be opened. I don't know anyone else whose distracted by a library tbh.. most people go to a library to avoid distractions! Most of my friends enjoy going shopping for clothes etc, but one of my favourite things to do is walk around a library looking at all the books and learning so many new things. /nerd
    Spoiler
    Haha, we finally concur on an opinion about books! :p: Stephen King was just really hard going for me, kinda like Stephen Donaldson or Stephen Erikson... I dunno why, but all the Steves just don't do it for me :p:.

I'm really not surprised that you're struggling with A Feast For Crows... I found it very difficult to finish, as well, particularly (as you say) following A Storm of Swords, which was pretty packed. I'm sure I'll get around to re-reading the whole thing once the whole series is out.

I've got some clinical finals to revise for in a few weeks haha, so I've kinda put books on hold for a while. I've been re-reading Hitch-Hiker's Guide since you mentioned it to me, though - something light and humorous to keep me sane. Also, you're talking to a medi lol. If anyone's going to understand nerdyness, it's me! I love libraries for the same reason, and they're just as unproductive for me :p:.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Spoiler
    Haha, we finally concur on an opinion about books! :p: Stephen King was just really hard going for me, kinda like Stephen Donaldson or Stephen Erikson... I dunno why, but all the Steves just don't do it for me :p:.

I'm really not surprised that you're struggling with A Feast For Crows... I found it very difficult to finish, as well, particularly (as you say) following A Storm of Swords, which was pretty packed. I'm sure I'll get around to re-reading the whole thing once the whole series is out.

I've got some clinical finals to revise for in a few weeks haha, so I've kinda put books on hold for a while. I've been re-reading Hitch-Hiker's Guide since you mentioned it to me, though - something light and humorous to keep me sane. Also, you're talking to a medi lol. If anyone's going to understand nerdyness, it's me! I love libraries for the same reason, and they're just as unproductive for me :p:.
    Wait.. you're a medical student?! I've applied to study medicine next year at university! I really can't wait to get started, being independent and all that. :cool: What's it like being a medical student? I can imagine it must get pretty stressful with all that work, but rewarding at the same time knowing that one day you'll be able to make a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

How many books are supposed to be in the Song of Ice and Fire series? As you've said, George Martin is just as bad as Robert Jordan was when it came to releasing books, but at least that gives me plenty of time to read the 4th and 5th novels. Do you watch the TV series as well? I have to wait until someone uploads the season 2 episodes online unfortunately.
    Looking through my bookshelf (which is about to collapse) I just came across another series I loved as a child: A series of unfortunate events. Did you ever read those? They were a bit.. different, but I found the plot to be very engaging. I've completely forgotten what happens at the end though.. I just remember a massive build-up towards it. Another series I used to love reading were the Demonata series and Darren Shan books by Darren Shan. As you've probably guessed, I used to read a lot as a child (to the extent that my parents had to force me to get out of the house), then I stopped suddenly a few years ago. I've been trying to get back into books, but there's just so much I want to read! Do you have much time to read at uni? I've heard a lot of students say that they only have time to read non-fiction books related to their course once they get to uni, but I always make sure I have time to read everyday and I hope that continues.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait.. you're a medical student?! I've applied to study medicine next year at university! I really can't wait to get started, being independent and all that. :cool: What's it like being a medical student? I can imagine it must get pretty stressful with all that work, but rewarding at the same time knowing that one day you'll be able to make a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

How many books are supposed to be in the Song of Ice and Fire series? As you've said, George Martin is just as bad as Robert Jordan was when it came to releasing books, but at least that gives me plenty of time to read the 4th and 5th novels. Do you watch the TV series as well? I have to wait until someone uploads the season 2 episodes online unfortunately.
    Looking through my bookshelf (which is about to collapse) I just came across another series I loved as a child: A series of unfortunate events. Did you ever read those? They were a bit.. different, but I found the plot to be very engaging. I've completely forgotten what happens at the end though.. I just remember a massive build-up towards it. Another series I used to love reading were the Demonata series and Darren Shan books by Darren Shan. As you've probably guessed, I used to read a lot as a child (to the extent that my parents had to force me to get out of the house), then I stopped suddenly a few years ago. I've been trying to get back into books, but there's just so much I want to read! Do you have much time to read at uni? I've heard a lot of students say that they only have time to read non-fiction books related to their course once they get to uni, but I always make sure I have time to read everyday and I hope that continues.
    Yeah, I'm a medic . Didn't I mentioned that previously? Strange haha. I'm in my final year up in Yorkshire. Where did you apply? It's pretty hard work, being a medic - but it's a calling. So, once you're there, you don't really know any different haha, you just carry on as normal.

I think there's supposed to be only one more ASOIAF book, but God only knows when that one's coming out lol. I actually quite enjoyed the TV Series... can't wait for finals to be over in a month so I can start catching up on all this stuff!

I've not heard of Darren Shan, sadly - any good? I've heard lots of good things of Lemony Snicket, only people were a bit annoyed that some of the mysteries were never solved. That would irritate the pants off me lol, enough that I will not touch those books if I won't finish them knowing the whole story. There's plenty of time - even as a medic - to read non-fiction at uni. It's all about getting your work done and maintaining a good work-life balance. That skill is very difficult, but if you can make it work it's really rewarding.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here read The Man who Forgot his Wife by John O'Farrell?

Really enjoyed this and highly recommended.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Maicccccmannnn)
    Has anyone here read The Man who Forgot his Wife by John O'Farrell?

Really enjoyed this and highly recommended.
    I read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. I know it's probably not even remotely analogous but the titles are similar.

:ahee:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm a medic . Didn't I mentioned that previously? Strange haha. I'm in my final year up in Yorkshire. Where did you apply? It's pretty hard work, being a medic - but it's a calling. So, once you're there, you don't really know any different haha, you just carry on as normal.

I think there's supposed to be only one more ASOIAF book, but God only knows when that one's coming out lol. I actually quite enjoyed the TV Series... can't wait for finals to be over in a month so I can start catching up on all this stuff!

I've not heard of Darren Shan, sadly - any good? I've heard lots of good things of Lemony Snicket, only people were a bit annoyed that some of the mysteries were never solved. That would irritate the pants off me lol, enough that I will not touch those books if I won't finish them knowing the whole story. There's plenty of time - even as a medic - to read non-fiction at uni. It's all about getting your work done and maintaining a good work-life balance. That skill is very difficult, but if you can make it work it's really rewarding.
    Sorry for the week-long reply, been busy with revision. Not that I can complain, you've probably got ten times the work I've been set. I've firmed Cardiff but I'm a bit unsure if I can get the grades; I haven't worked all year because of personal reasons so I need to cram in three A Levels within the next few weeks and try and teach myself everything. If I don't get the grades though, I've set Neuroscience at Dundee as my insurance. I'd love the opportunity to study medicine though, it must be such a great privilege to be in that position where you can make a positive difference to peoples' lives.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Guess what.. I finished A Feast of Crows! I've started A Dance with Dragons and I'm starting to like it already because it's got two of my favourite characters in it: Tyrion and Daenarys. There is one thing that's been slightly bothering me from A Feast of Crows though.. what was the point of bringing Catelyn back to life?! I love the way that George isn't scared of killing off major characters, it adds that little bit of risk and uncertainty to each chapter because you never know whose going to get out alive. But bringing a character back from the dead.. that just seems like an easy way out to me tbh. Death is supposed to be final, that's why it scares so many people I imagine. And what is going to be achieved with Catelyn being back? I imagine that George has a plan for her, but she's lost almost her entire family, and she's hardly human anymore.. let the poor woman rest in peace! Phew.. rant over!

Darren Shan is alright; I read his books when I was younger and really got into the story, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much now. There's a couple of books which I read as a child and couldn't stand, then decided to re-read a few months ago and had a complete change of heart. It's funny how a re-read can completely change your view on a novel.
    I quite like endings where there's a bit of mystery left.. it lets the reader fill in the gaps an use their imagination to decide what happens in end. It's good to hear that you still have time to read at uni, I don't think I could live without my books.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the week-long reply, been busy with revision. Not that I can complain, you've probably got ten times the work I've been set. I've firmed Cardiff but I'm a bit unsure if I can get the grades; I haven't worked all year because of personal reasons so I need to cram in three A Levels within the next few weeks and try and teach myself everything. If I don't get the grades though, I've set Neuroscience at Dundee as my insurance. I'd love the opportunity to study medicine though, it must be such a great privilege to be in that position where you can make a positive difference to peoples' lives.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Guess what.. I finished A Feast of Crows! I've started A Dance with Dragons and I'm starting to like it already because it's got two of my favourite characters in it: Tyrion and Daenarys. There is one thing that's been slightly bothering me from A Feast of Crows though.. what was the point of bringing Catelyn back to life?! I love the way that George isn't scared of killing off major characters, it adds that little bit of risk and uncertainty to each chapter because you never know whose going to get out alive. But bringing a character back from the dead.. that just seems like an easy way out to me tbh. Death is supposed to be final, that's why it scares so many people I imagine. And what is going to be achieved with Catelyn being back? I imagine that George has a plan for her, but she's lost almost her entire family, and she's hardly human anymore.. let the poor woman rest in peace! Phew.. rant over!

Darren Shan is alright; I read his books when I was younger and really got into the story, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much now. There's a couple of books which I read as a child and couldn't stand, then decided to re-read a few months ago and had a complete change of heart. It's funny how a re-read can completely change your view on a novel.
    I quite like endings where there's a bit of mystery left.. it lets the reader fill in the gaps an use their imagination to decide what happens in end. It's good to hear that you still have time to read at uni, I don't think I could live without my books.
    Ah, hello! It has been a while, I hope you've not been snowed under with all the work you have to do. While it is indeed true that the sheer magnitude of what I have to know for my exams is daunting, hard work is hard work haha. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree that our comparative workloads are so unequal. Everything's a matter of perspective, after all .

Cardiff as a firm, huh? That's great! Did you apply for Medicine there, and Neuroscience as a back-up plan?

Spoiler
    Well done on getting through A Feast For Crows! In all truth, I can barely remember what happened in that book save for "nothing much" :laugh:. I know I seem incredibly disparaging of the series, but the truth is I'm just bitter because I felt a bit let down by that book. I'll likely re-read the whole thing eventually. Don't spoil A Dance With Dragons, as I've not read it! So, we may have to start talking about a different series now :laugh:. Are you reading any other fantasy, or are there any novels in the pipeline that you intend on starting? I cannot rave about Patrick Rothfuss, Jim Butcher or Peter V Brett enough :p:. I don't know why I put all this in spoilers lol, I haven't spoiled anything. Force of habit I guess.

I actually feel completely the opposite to you in terms of authors leaving loose ends haha. I simply cannot stand an ending that hasn't tied every mystery together in a nice, neat bundle. A reflection of my mindset perhaps. I shouldn't worry too much about not having time to read at uni - as I said before, there is always time to be made, and 24 hours in a day is a significant proportion of time, even if it doesn't feel that way at times .
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thread bump!

I've just started Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, after months of it looking at me with pressuring eyes on the bookshelf.

In other news, I finally managed to purchase Proust's magnum opus, À la recherche du temps perdu. The best part is, after some crafty comparing and contrasting prices between various websites, I managed to score the entire six volumes (all like new, might I add) for a scratch over twenty-three bob.

I will personally mail someone a cheque if they can find it cheaper, cause it ain't happening. :ahee:
    • 36 followers

Finally had some time to read recently, and getting well into The Feast of the Goat (about 320 pages in now), which is indeed very compelling.

Thinking to go with something shorter next; possibly a play. A Streetcar Named Desire or A View From The Bridge or All My Sons or Rhinoceros? :holmes:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finished Jane Eyre last week, half-way through Great Expectations Who knows what is next? Might venture into poetry as revision should be mopping up lots of time.

Abiraleft - I did Streetcar for my AS coursework! I enjoyed it. We did a re-creative piece so I chose to write a scene to go at the end.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Finally had some time to read recently, and getting well into The Feast of the Goat (about 320 pages in now), which is indeed very compelling.

Thinking to go with something shorter next; possibly a play. A Streetcar Named Desire or A View From The Bridge or All My Sons or Rhinoceros? :holmes:
    If you go with A Streetcar Named Desire, make sure you watch the film as well. Marlon Brando delivers, and delivers hard. Vivien Leigh is always a pleasure to look at, too.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, hello! It has been a while, I hope you've not been snowed under with all the work you have to do. While it is indeed true that the sheer magnitude of what I have to know for my exams is daunting, hard work is hard work haha. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree that our comparative workloads are so unequal. Everything's a matter of perspective, after all .

Cardiff as a firm, huh? That's great! Did you apply for Medicine there, and Neuroscience as a back-up plan?

Spoiler
    Well done on getting through A Feast For Crows! In all truth, I can barely remember what happened in that book save for "nothing much" :laugh:. I know I seem incredibly disparaging of the series, but the truth is I'm just bitter because I felt a bit let down by that book. I'll likely re-read the whole thing eventually. Don't spoil A Dance With Dragons, as I've not read it! So, we may have to start talking about a different series now :laugh:. Are you reading any other fantasy, or are there any novels in the pipeline that you intend on starting? I cannot rave about Patrick Rothfuss, Jim Butcher or Peter V Brett enough :p:. I don't know why I put all this in spoilers lol, I haven't spoiled anything. Force of habit I guess.

I actually feel completely the opposite to you in terms of authors leaving loose ends haha. I simply cannot stand an ending that hasn't tied every mystery together in a nice, neat bundle. A reflection of my mindset perhaps. I shouldn't worry too much about not having time to read at uni - as I said before, there is always time to be made, and 24 hours in a day is a significant proportion of time, even if it doesn't feel that way at times .
    Yeah Neuroscience is my back-up. So either way I know I'm going to uni next year! (basically in four months :eek:)

Don't worry, everything I mentioned previously was from A Feast of Crows. I only finished reading A Dance with Dragons a few days ago and it was much better than A Feast of Crows. That's probably because my favourite characters were in the fifth book, so it was a more enjoyable read. The book is massive though; I kept getting strange looks in school for carrying what appeared to be a tome. Anyway, I recommend you jump back onto the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon. I can finally browse through the Game of Thrones threads around here (and on any website for that matter) without worrying about spoilers jumping out at me. Plus it's a nice experience reading through some fans' predictions and realising there's so much detail I'd missed. In my defence though, there are so many characters involved in the series at this stage that it's difficult to remember everyones' backstory.

LOTR is next on my fantasy to-read list, but I've just started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Not really the type of book I'd read, but it's been recommended to me by a few people and I've noticed that a lot of authors that I read have named this book as one of their influences. What about yourself? Have you read War and Peace? And are you reading anything at the moment?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the last two days I've finished 'Persuasion' (which is my favourite Jane Austen novel), the second Hunger Games novel and starting the third. I think that the Hunger Games are good, but think that they'd be stronger if they focused on 'external' (for want of a better word) events as opposed to just the action. However, I appreciate that's difficult given it's a first-person narrative. Still, it was/is very enjoyable.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Neuroscience is my back-up. So either way I know I'm going to uni next year! (basically in four months :eek:)

Don't worry, everything I mentioned previously was from A Feast of Crows. I only finished reading A Dance with Dragons a few days ago and it was much better than A Feast of Crows. That's probably because my favourite characters were in the fifth book, so it was a more enjoyable read. The book is massive though; I kept getting strange looks in school for carrying what appeared to be a tome. Anyway, I recommend you jump back onto the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon. I can finally browse through the Game of Thrones threads around here (and on any website for that matter) without worrying about spoilers jumping out at me. Plus it's a nice experience reading through some fans' predictions and realising there's so much detail I'd missed. In my defence though, there are so many characters involved in the series at this stage that it's difficult to remember everyones' backstory.

LOTR is next on my fantasy to-read list, but I've just started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Not really the type of book I'd read, but it's been recommended to me by a few people and I've noticed that a lot of authors that I read have named this book as one of their influences. What about yourself? Have you read War and Peace? And are you reading anything at the moment?
    Hey, apologies for the delay, I've been busy with revision this last week!

Haha, you excited about going to uni? I still remember how I felt in the run up to going... the excitement was insane.

Lol, I get what you mean about forgetting about minor characters in books like ASOIAF. The same thing happened to me in WoT - I've read and re-read those books many, many times, and I still forget some of the minor characters.

I'm afraid I haven't read War & Peace, although I've heard a lot about it. Is it any good? Always seemed a bit heavy going for me. I've not really been reading very much lately - at least nothing outside of medicine - although the last books I read were the first trilogy of "Ender" books by Orson Scott Card (namely Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide). Having gotten to know you a bit better now, I suspect you might enjoy them immensely.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finished Great Expectations last weekend - funny how the action in Victorian Literature seems to appear in the last 100 pages or so but I don't mind
    Next on my list? I might have to wait until after exams....
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just bought this. Should be interesting...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    Finished Great Expectations last weekend - funny how the action in Victorian Literature seems to appear in the last 100 pages or so but I don't mind
    It's probably got something to do with the serial format of them. They kept people subscribing, I suppose.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsb123)
    It's probably got something to do with the serial format of them. They kept people subscribing, I suppose.
    True, very true.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    I've just started reading GE, have a FIT copy of it from like 1900 (anyone else think books are more enjoyable to read if they're physically worn? You know what I mean hehe), love it! Dickens' humour is so under-appreciated, in GE it's a kind of self-deprecating humour isn't it.

Also in the middle of Moll Flanders, highly recommend you read it, I found it hilarious!! Easier to read than I thought as well, considering the period it's from.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just started After Dark by Haruki Murakami. Keeping my addiction in check. Ears, cats, jazz and food, what more do you need in a novel?

Anyone read Ground Control by Anna Minton. Non-fiction but a real eye-opener in terms of what's happening to our cities and our society. I seem to have a knack for getting hold of books before their offical publication date as the copy I had had a chapter on the Olympic Legacy which wasn't supposed to be out til late June.

http://www.annaminton.com/Ground_Control.htm

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.