The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
Original post by Abiraleft
Ah, I see. A couple of times, however, I've already got a possible meaning in my head - brain automatically filling in the blanks - but I turn to the glossary to make sure anyway, and it turns out to be a different meaning. The unusual syntax compounds things a bit, I think. :p: I'm certainly glad I have a glossary (though now you could probably just get it off the internet). I wonder how much easier it is for people who know Russian to understand the text (I understand that most of the words are taken from/have roots in the Russian).

I love the ACO argot; it's quite interesting how occasionally the nadsat meaning contradicted what it seemed without understanding nadsat - like horrorshow coming from 'harasho', good, but when you first read it without saying it out loud it has such negative connotations. smart stuff, Burgess :P I preferred reading it without a glossary because it rather indoctrinates you into the novel which I also thought was quite clever!

What did you think of it? (in any aspect of the book :smile: )
Original post by jsb123
I became very good at guessing words by their context, by the end. Then it made sense. Ish.

I didn't have a glossary either; however, after a couple of chapters it does become easier to infer from context, I believe.
Finally started reading A Game of Thrones today. I like what I've read so far.
Reading The Idiot and just realising how bad my vocabulary is.
Reply 6724
Original post by _becca
I love the ACO argot; it's quite interesting how occasionally the nadsat meaning contradicted what it seemed without understanding nadsat - like horrorshow coming from 'harasho', good, but when you first read it without saying it out loud it has such negative connotations. smart stuff, Burgess :P I preferred reading it without a glossary because it rather indoctrinates you into the novel which I also thought was quite clever!

What did you think of it? (in any aspect of the book :smile: )

I'm thinking it's well horrorshow so far! :p:
Reply 6725
Anyone read A Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood? Truly the best book I've ever read...
Reply 6726
Original post by Demon_AS
Hey, apologies for the delay, I've been busy with revision this last week!

Haha, you excited about going to uni? I still remember how I felt in the run up to going... the excitement was insane.

Lol, I get what you mean about forgetting about minor characters in books like ASOIAF. The same thing happened to me in WoT - I've read and re-read those books many, many times, and I still forget some of the minor characters.

I'm afraid I haven't read War & Peace, although I've heard a lot about it. Is it any good? Always seemed a bit heavy going for me. I've not really been reading very much lately - at least nothing outside of medicine - although the last books I read were the first trilogy of "Ender" books by Orson Scott Card (namely Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide). Having gotten to know you a bit better now, I suspect you might enjoy them immensely.

I'm not really that excited about uni to be honest, I'm dreading results day and I haven't even done my first exam yet! I'm not even half way through War & Peace.. that's mostly because of exams etc, but also because I'm finding it a bit hard to read through. It does make me look rather intelligent walking around with the massive book under my arm though. :cool:
I've been watching the Game of Thrones TV series, they've adapted the books really well and I enjoy watching the scenes play out.

Finally getting settled into A Clockwork Orange. Not the easiest book to read: really struggled through the first chapter (about 9 pages :s-smilie:) quite simply because of the back and forth required between the text and the Nadsat glossary. Doesn't help that it's not written in a particularly normal syntax.

Enjoying it so far nonetheless. :h:

I found that book quite hard to get into at the start as well, but it does get better. I didn't use a glossary though, and in the end I think I enjoyed it more because of that, since I was able to understand the meaning of the words as I became more involved with the story. Hope you enjoy the book. :smile:

..I'm still stuck on War and Peace >_>
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm currently reading De Waal Edmund, The Hare with Amber Eyes.
Reply 6728
Original post by Athenia
Anyone read A Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood? Truly the best book I've ever read...

I did fairly recently - usually don't like dystopian novels like that (I think she called it 'speculative fiction' actually which is pretty cool) but found this one excellent! I found the ending absolutely chilling; just the idea of a historical lecture about a character we've come to know so personally and the quite crass way they deal with it is really interesting. What did you like about it? :biggrin:

Original post by Angury
I'm not really that excited about uni to be honest, I'm dreading results day and I haven't even done my first exam yet! I'm not even half way through War & Peace.. that's mostly because of exams etc, but also because I'm finding it a bit hard to read through.

I've been reading so little recently, it's really sad! But then you've gotta prioritise with exams and all :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6729
Original post by Athenia
I've read it! But sadly I had to study it for AS level English Literature... so that killed any joy I might've had for it. Mind you, it was far from the worst book I've ever read, which is saying something given it was a studied text.
Reply 6730
Original post by Angury
I'm not really that excited about uni to be honest, I'm dreading results day and I haven't even done my first exam yet! I'm not even half way through War & Peace.. that's mostly because of exams etc, but also because I'm finding it a bit hard to read through. It does make me look rather intelligent walking around with the massive book under my arm though. :cool:
I've been watching the Game of Thrones TV series, they've adapted the books really well and I enjoy watching the scenes play out.
Well, look who it is! :biggrin: Long time.

Ah, well, I can understand that :smile:. Exam stress clouds every joy haha, but once your exams are done, there will be time for that excitement to emerge! Assuming the dread for results day doesn't add its own shadow :laugh:. I'm sure you'll be fine, though. Good luck with your exams!

I quite enjoyed the first season of GoT. Sadly my exams have prevented me from watching season 2, but I'll get on top of that soon! Lots of gratuitous sex, I have to say, but I guess they need to sell the show somehow :laugh:.
Reply 6731
Original post by _becca
I did fairly recently - usually don't like dystopian novels like that (I think she called it 'speculative fiction' actually which is pretty cool) but found this one excellent! I found the ending absolutely chilling; just the idea of a historical lecture about a character we've come to know so personally and the quite crass way they deal with it is really interesting. What did you like about it? :biggrin:

I just think it was the writing that did it for me... I think Margaret Atwood is truly an amazing writer! I think I liked how todays society could become something like that (minus all the equality laws). I found it a very thrilling and insightful book. Definitely something I would recommend...
Reply 6732
Hi :hi: Newbie to this thread.

I just finished reading Love in the Time of Cholera, and just like with One Hundred Years of Solitude, was blown away by how well Gabriel García Márquez writes. The way he describes Colombia...:heart:

Original post by Athenia
I just think it was the writing that did it for me... I think Margaret Atwood is truly an amazing writer!

I read my first Margaret Atwood novel the other week, when I was recovering from surgery: The Year of the Flood. I keep meaning to read A Handmaid's Tale, as everyone keeps recommending it and I love her writing style. My library doesn't have it, though...:unimpressed:
Reply 6733
Original post by Skaði

I just finished reading Love in the Time of Cholera, and just like with One Hundred Years of Solitude, was blown away by how well Gabriel García Márquez writes. The way he describes Colombia...:heart:

I read my first Margaret Atwood novel the other week, when I was recovering from surgery: The Year of the Flood. I keep meaning to read A Handmaid's Tale, as everyone keeps recommending it and I love her writing style. My library doesn't have it, though...:unimpressed:

:hi: Welcome!

Marquez. :love:
Original post by Skaði

Welcome to the thread :biggrin:
Original post by Skaði

Hi...

You should read 'Oryx and Crake'. It's superior to 'The Year of the Flood' by some way.
Reply 6736
:hi: Welcome!

Marquez. :love:

:biggrin: I'm looking into more books of his, though I don't think any can ever top One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Original post by Obsidian
Welcome to the thread :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile: This seems like my kind of thread; I'm so glad there's a society! :biggrin:

Original post by KingMessi
Hi...

You should read 'Oryx and Crake'. It's superior to 'The Year of the Flood' by some way.

Yes, I've heard that, too. Some of the same characters are in it, is that right? I really like Margaret Atwood's characters, so I can't wait to read more of her books :tongue:
Original post by Skaði
:biggrin: I'm looking into more books of his, though I don't think any can ever top One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Thank you! :smile: This seems like my kind of thread; I'm so glad there's a society! :biggrin:

Yes, I've heard that, too. Some of the same characters are in it, is that right? I really like Margaret Atwood's characters, so I can't wait to read more of her books :tongue:

Yes; 'Oryx and Crake' is actually the precursor to 'The Year of the Flood'.

Oh, and 'The Handmaid's Tale' is better than both of the aforementioned books.
Bought Carol Ann Duffy's 'The World's Wife' today :biggrin:
Cannot resist bookshops :smile:
Reply 6739
Original post by Obsidian
Bought Carol Ann Duffy's 'The World's Wife' today :biggrin:
Cannot resist bookshops :smile:
Ha, I actually quite liked that particular collection.

Mrs. Sisyphus, as I recall, made me laugh. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending