The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Demon_AS
Ha, I actually quite liked that particular collection.

Mrs. Sisyphus, as I recall, made me laugh. :smile:

I studied 'Anne Hathaway' and 'Salome' as part of my GCSE and I read 'Queen Herod' yesterday.
Looks like Mrs. Sisyphus is next on my list then :wink: Seems like a book I'd love to bring with me to Uni (if I get the grades :smile:)
Reply 6741
Original post by Obsidian
I studied 'Anne Hathaway' and 'Salome' as part of my GCSE and I read 'Queen Herod' yesterday.
Looks like Mrs. Sisyphus is next on my list then :wink: Seems like a book I'd love to bring with me to Uni (if I get the grades :smile:)
Salome was excellent. I don't recall Anne Hathaway all that much - but I remember some clever metaphors relating to language.

I enjoyed most of the poems, to be honest. The tongue-in-cheek stab at male dominance was cleverly done.
Original post by Demon_AS
Salome was excellent. I don't recall Anne Hathaway all that much - but I remember some clever metaphors relating to language.

I enjoyed most of the poems, to be honest. The tongue-in-cheek stab at male dominance was cleverly done.

It is a really good idea and she exploits it well.
Just bought The Children of Men by P.D. James in the £2 bookshop. Excited to start it on the bus home!
Reply 6744
Original post by Skaði
:biggrin: I'm looking into more books of his, though I don't think any can ever top One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Sorry really should have replied to this earlier. :colondollar: You should try Chronicle of a Death Foretold. It's probably my favourite book by him. :yep: One Hundred Years of Solitude is also - well, pretty much perfect :colondollar: but the former is also incredibly well-crafted. :biggrin:

Have you read much other magic realism? I just need to go an finish off Isabel Allende's House of the Spirits, but I remember not being too impressed. It was fairly good and enjoyable, but I really didn't feel it went any way towards fulfilling all the hype around it. Not a patch on Marquez, certainly.
I am half-way through Kazuo Ishiguro's 'The Unconsoled'. A very strange book, interesting plot and it definitely looks like the mystery will not be cleared up until the very end.
Wow finished The Children of Men walking down the street under my umbrella on the way home. I had to know how it finishes and it was either that or staying on the bus all the way to UWE.

What a great book, I loved how the dystopian elements weren't hammed up and how it was all quite believable and balanced. The movie looks to be much more violent and extreme.
Reply 6747
Hey guys, first post in this thread.

Just finished my English Lit degree the other week! Currently reading the prose edition of The Odyssey with a view to re-reading Ulysses afterwards; we had a whole module on Joyce this year and the man is just a total, one-off genius. Went to Dublin with a couple of mates a few months ago and recreated the Ulysses journeys, and joined a reading of 'The Dead' in Sweeney's which was great. Obviously bought some lemon soap.

Anyway, besides that, being able to read for pleasure now, my to-read list is as long as my arm. I've started Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise as well. Pretty high on the to-read list are some Murakami and some David Mitchell, the latter I've studied a little this year and really enjoyed but by many accounts, he is in many respects inferior to Murakami. There's easily 20 books that I'm equally as excited about reading, but have no idea how to choose where to start. Ulysses will take most of the summer though I imagine.
Reply 6748
Hi everyone, as you can probably tell, I'm new to this thread, (only joined the society 10 minutes ago, and hope I am allowed in lol).

I absolutely love Literature, and I am currently going into my final year (eek!) of my undergraduate degree - BA Hons English with Education.

I have been a "bookworm" for as long as I can remember, and some of my favourite authors include:

-Jane Austen (classic)
-The Bronte Sisters (again, classic)
-Nicholas Sparks
-JK Rowling (love the HP books!)
-Suzanne Collins
-Daphne Du Maurier (in particular, Rebecca)
-Trisha Ashley
-Bram Stoker (Dracula)
-Katie Fforde
-Jane Costello
-Jodi Picoult
-Dorothy Koomson
and many, many, many more! (Too many to list!)

Oh, and I am currently reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

:smile:
Original post by weenomz
Hi everyone, as you can probably tell, I'm new to this thread, (only joined the society 10 minutes ago, and hope I am allowed in lol).

I absolutely love Literature, and I am currently going into my final year (eek!) of my undergraduate degree - BA Hons English with Education.

I have been a "bookworm" for as long as I can remember, and some of my favourite authors include:

-Jane Austen (classic)
-The Bronte Sisters (again, classic)
-Nicholas Sparks
-JK Rowling (love the HP books!)
-Suzanne Collins
-Daphne Du Maurier (in particular, Rebecca)
-Trisha Ashley
-Bram Stoker (Dracula)
-Katie Fforde
-Jane Costello
-Jodi Picoult
-Dorothy Koomson
and many, many, many more! (Too many to list!)

Oh, and I am currently reading Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen.

:smile:

Hi. :smile:

How are you finding 'Sense and Sensibility'? That, and 'Mansfield Park' are the only two Austen novels I haven't read thus far. I appreciate Austen's technical writing abilities but find her novels rather conservative and dull. I've been listening to all of the HP books on audiobook over the last fortnight for nostalgia's sake - begun 'Order of the Phoenix' this evening. :love:

What did you think of 'The Hunger Games'?

I haven't read 'Dracula', but it's high up my list...
Reply 6750
Hi :smile:

So far, I love Sense and Sensibility :smile:. Hated Mansfield Park - studied it for A level, and just found it so dull!

Loved The Hunger Games - read all three in a day and a half lol

Dracula is good - don't be put off if you find the beginning a tad boring - it soon gets better :smile:
Just finished 'The Unconsoled' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Well, that was weird but interesting! It is certainly different from anything I have read before.
Reply 6752
Just finished 'The Unconsoled' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Well, that was weird but interesting! It is certainly different from anything I have read before.

Been meaning to read Ishiguro for a while now. :colondollar: Have you read any of his other stuff? I've got A Pale View of The Hills and Nocturnes.
Original post by Abiraleft
Been meaning to read Ishiguro for a while now. :colondollar: Have you read any of his other stuff? I've got A Pale View of The Hills and Nocturnes.

I have read 'Never Let Me Go' and bought 'The Unconsoled' from a charity shop - probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise! He has a certain style but reading up on 'The Unconsoled', it is different from his other works.
I believe that 'A Pale View of The Hills' was his first novel but I'm not entirely sure :smile: Certainly give him a go :biggrin::cool::wink:
Finished 'Othello' today :smile: I love summer :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 6755

Spoiler

Did you like it? I was involved in a production of it during my A-levels. :biggrin:
Original post by Abiraleft
Did you like it? I was involved in a production of it during my A-levels. :biggrin:

Yes, Shakespeare's usually pretty good. He really quickens the pace after the first couple of acts, doesn't he?
Wow! Did you play one of the parts or did you help out backstage?

Spoiler

Extra Spoiler:

Spoiler

Spoiler

You might find this funny: http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/spycee/rymer.html
It's this late seventeenth-century critic who found the whole play (and particularly the business with the handkerchief) totally ridiculous.
"So much ado, so much stress, so much passion and repetition
about an Handkerchief? Why was not this call'd the Tragedy of the
Handkerchief? "
Original post by LeSacMagique
You might find this funny: http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/spycee/rymer.html
It's this late seventeenth-century critic who found the whole play (and particularly the business with the handkerchief) totally ridiculous.
"So much ado, so much stress, so much passion and repetition
about an Handkerchief? Why was not this call'd the Tragedy of the
Handkerchief? "

Wow! He was a little harsh I think - though funny :biggrin:
Reply 6759
Yes, Shakespeare's usually pretty good. He really quickens the pace after the first couple of acts, doesn't he?
Wow! Did you play one of the parts or did you help out backstage?

Spoiler

Extra Spoiler:

Spoiler

Definitely, even the less Shakespeare-oriented members of the audience noted that about the second half during when we did it: they said the first half was a little bit slow (I suppose it takes some people a scene or two to get used to the language itself) but the second half got really intense. :yep:

I was stage manager. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending