The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Merovingian
Well, maths and graphics are essential and paitience is another one because it takes 7 years to become a fully qualified architect!!

Man thats even longer than what it takes to become a CA.

Zain
Agha Zain
Man thats even longer than what it takes to become a CA.

Zain

CA as in "Chartered Accountant"? Too right - the implications are up there with medecine, if not beyond it!
Reply 22
jrhartley
Now, I think this might be a difference between the US and the UK. In the UK as far as I know you can call yourself anything but "Architect" - you can call yourself an "architectural designer", whatever, but if you put your name up followed by plain", Architect" the ARB / RIBA are entitled to come after. At least that's what I've been informed by schools, practising architects, etc. in the UK.

That's not to say if you're not an architect you can't design private buildings - hell - I'm doing one right now! God help the destined inhabitants!

You are correct. It seems that the term "Architect" is protected by the Architect Act 1997. However, one can still call oneself an Architect without being Chartered with the RIBA. The only way one can call oneself an Architect is by registering under the Act and RIBA membership is not requisite:

4. - (1) A person who has applied to the Registrar in the prescribed manner for registration in pursuance of this section is entitled to be registered if-

(a) he holds such qualifications and has gained such practical experience as may be prescribed; or

(b) he has a standard of competence which, in the opinion of the Board, is equivalent to that demonstrated by satisfying paragraph (a).

Latest

Trending

Trending