The Student Room Group

MSc Finance GMAT requirement

I study mathematics in Moscow, planning to take MSc Finance after my graduation.
My university GPA is 4.8 out of 5.0, which is above the equivalent to UK 1st (distinction/1st class here means GPA >= 4.75)

According to my research on the internet, the best places for MSc Finance are: LSE, Said, Cambridge, Warwick, Cass, Imperial.
Most of the schools more or less say GMAT would be desired .

I took GMAT and got 710 (92 percentile) with section results quantative 50 (94 percentile) and verbal 35 (72 percentile), AWA 4.5 (42 percentile). Obviously, some problems with verbal section and essays.
Would you recommend me re-take the GMAT, or the result is enough for LSE and others taking into account my profile?
Reply 1
stu_m_l
I study mathematics in Moscow, planning to take MSc Finance after my graduation.
My university GPA is 4.5 out of 5.0, which is a minimum equivalent to a UK 2.1. (I will have a low, but 2.1)

According to my research on the internet, the best places for MSc Finance are: LSE, Said, Cambridge, Warwick, Cass, Imperial.
However, Warwick and Cambridge require 1st Class Honours equivalent from Russia, which is impossible for me, meaning only four places left.
Most of the schools more or less say GMAT would be desired .

I took GMAT and got 710 (92 percentile) with section results quantative 50 (94 percentile) and verbal 35 (72 percentile), AWA 4.5 (42 percentile). Obviously, some problems with verbal section and essays.
Would you recommend me re-take the GMAT, or the result is enough for LSE and others taking into account my profile?

I think your GMAT is very good and won't hinder your chances for admission. Verbal could be a bit better but because it's Finance there is no problem I think. AWA over 4 is what every university wants. You should work on the other parts of your application process.
Reply 2
phil13ole
I think your GMAT is very good and won't hinder your chances for admission. Verbal could be a bit better but because it's Finance there is no problem I think. AWA over 4 is what every university wants. You should work on the other parts of your application process.

I agree with my fierce rival :biggrin:

P.S.
16/1/08
Olympiakos 4
Panathinaikos 0
Reply 3
Said's average GMAT scores are >730.

Cambridge puts a a caveat saying ALL of its admitted students score a 1:1, but Warwick doesnt ( the last time I checked )

I think you should still try for LSE, Warwick, Cass and Imperial.

Dont worry about the GMAT
Reply 4
v3lve7
Said's average GMAT scores are >730.

Cambridge puts a a caveat saying ALL of its admitted students score a 1:1, but Warwick doesnt ( the last time I checked )

I think you should still try for LSE, Warwick, Cass and Imperial.

Dont worry about the GMAT

Yes, I know about Said, that's the only school that gives such information, unfortunately.

Warwick requires 1:1 at least for students from Russia.
Reply 5
PLEASE HELP!!!

I am still studying and I plan to take the test in a couple of months.
I did a lot of Kaplan and I HATED THEM (I scored always <630!!!)
I truly hope the real test will be a bit easier.
On Manhattan I did ok 670 and 690 but I aim >700.

I am currently studying:

- The Official Guide for GMAT Review and GMAT Verbal Review books (which I found very useful, but there are not too many questions)
- Kaplan tests (very disappointed)
- Manhattan tests (I believe they are helping me a lot, the explanations are very clear and precise)
- score800.com (I found it way too easy, so I stop doing them)
- 2minuteGMAT.com (I just started the program and I found it very useful so far. The explanations are also very good).

What else can I do to improve my score? I really need your help!

Thank you tons!

Latest

Trending

Trending