The Student Room Group

Differences between King's and Durham? (esp considering german BA)

I've looked at both universities's websites, and Durham seems harder to get in to (obviously because it's just below the league of Oxbridge), but King's seems like a really nice uni and it's in London, which despite being expensive to live in presents really great opportunities for students from what I've read. Is it lazy of me to lean more toward King's due to it's BBC entry requirements for German when I know I'm far more likely to get this than the AAB Durham wants? Is the quality of German teaching drastically different between the 2 unis? Please help!
Reply 1
Bobo1234
I've looked at both universities's websites, and Durham seems harder to get in to (obviously because it's just below the league of Oxbridge), but King's seems like a really nice uni and it's in London, which despite being expensive to live in presents really great opportunities for students from what I've read. Is it lazy of me to lean more toward King's due to it's BBC entry requirements for German when I know I'm far more likely to get this than the AAB Durham wants? Is the quality of German teaching drastically different between the 2 unis? Please help!

Go to London. If you love the city, the college and the course then why bother with Durham? You will gain nothing from having "Durham" on your CV rather than "London". In fact, you may find that employers in London actively recruit from the London colleges and pretty much ignore those far away. Great quality can be found in and around London.

Honestly, this whole university tier thing is absolute nonsense - a TSR fabrication. Ignore this and go to London. You will be disappointed if you don't.
Reply 2
The Boosh
Go to London. If you love the city, the college and the course then why bother with Durham? You will gain nothing from having "Durham" on your CV rather than "London". In fact, you may find that employers in London actively recruit from the London colleges and pretty much ignore those far away. Great quality can be found in and around London.

Honestly, this whole university tier thing is absolute nonsense - a TSR fabrication. Ignore this and go to London. You will be disappointed if you don't.

Im not really sure I want to work in London (I was actually thinking of moving to Germany after uni) but my question relates more to the actual teaching standard- is it better at Durham or King's or is there no difference, or are they incomparable?
Reply 3
The Boosh

:ditto:

KCL's German department is probably every bit the equal of Durham's, possibly marginally better. Depends how you want to measure these things but both are undoubtedly great universities with good departments. Don't think that KCL's lower typical offer is a sign that it's not as good.

When it comes to graduate employment then Univeristy name isn't as important as some seem to think but both are very well targeted anyway. A Durham graduate will have no immediate advantage over a KCL graduate. Not on uni reputation alone because, quite frankly, the difference between the two (and Bristol, Warwickm Edinburgh...) is bugger all. Studying in London, and getting contacts in London, can give a person a number of advantages and experiences and, if it's what you want, then go for it.

Please just do what you want. Don't get sucked into university reputation, prestige and league tables too much.
Reply 4
River85
:ditto:

KCL's German department is probably every bit the equal of Durham's, possibly marginally better. Depends how you want to measure these things but both are undoubtedly great universities with good departments. Don't think that KCL's lower typical offer is a sign that it's not as good.

When it comes to graduate employment then Univeristy name isn't as important as some seem to think but both are very well targeted anyway. A Durham graduate will have no immediate advantage over a KCL graduate. Not on uni reputation alone because, quite frankly, the difference between the two (and Bristol, Warwickm Edinburgh...) is bugger all. Studying in London, and getting contacts in London, can give a person a number of advantages and experiences and, if it's what you want, then go for it.

Please just do what you want. Don't get sucked into university reputation, prestige and league tables too much.

Sorry it's just my granny's been going on about how I should really be aiming for Durham as it has a better reputation and "the teaching standards will probably be better" (her words not mine). I'm also trying to get a choral scholarship to help fund my living costs and she thinks Durham is better for this too as each college offers its own individual scholarships apparently but I want to go to London (or edinburgh) and I want to know I'm doing the right thing too :frown:
Reply 5
Bobo1234
Im not really sure I want to work in London (I was actually thinking of moving to Germany after uni) but my question relates more to the actual teaching standard- is it better at Durham or King's or is there no difference, or are they incomparable?

For languages, I have no idea.
Reply 6
The only thing I can think of that might differ is the module content. KCL seemed to do a lot more literature type things when I went to look.

Latest

Trending

Trending