The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
leighke
I personally don't think they are. In today's society, any old muppet can get AAA, as evidenced by the fact that 1 in 13 people do, and 25% of candidates get at least one A :rofl:. Why be proud of something you're certainly not in the minority to have achieved.

That argument that A levels are easy and anyone can get them is used by people who don't understand the work gone in. Yes some subjects are easy to get good marks in if your good at exams...but others require a great deal of hard work and time devoted to them. A source to back up your claims of how many people get AAA would be nice...and 1 in 4 is the minority as 3 in 4 is the majority. :rolleyes:

leighke
Also, I do an apprenticeship, and I have portfolios, practical exams, designing my own styles etc etc, whereas A-level students have a bit of coursework and a one, maybe two hour exam in each unit.

Shows an ignorance. I have a 2 hour exam followed by a 3 hour exam and I have done a practical exam a few weeks ago. 'A bit of coursework' - that takes a lot of time and effort and you are undervaluing the amount of effort that goes into a good piece of coursework. How is that different to gathering a portfolio?

leighke
I don't know what it is, but I certainly wouldn't have done A-levels if I could go back in time a year, as I really think they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Who agrees?

They get you into uni which is why most people take them. They are hard work. Yes, they are a flawed system and can be easy for some people and some are just retaining a lot of knowledge and not making you think...but there are no real better alternatives for what they do and how they assess you. People put a lot of effort in and you claiming they are easy, just around exam time is going to stir some people up...and why the hell am I bothering replying??!!! :troll:
Reply 41
well they're not useless, but they're certainly not as a big deal as some of the people here are making out

Crimsonchilli

There may be a few exceptions, but 99.999% of the time, your never really going to get anywhere without A-levels, certainly not university anywey.

is quite ludicrous

usainlightning
Your just jealous that you cant do them because your a retard

in before somebody bites
Reply 42
Subjects like maths and the sciences are worth it

the new things like media studies and psychology are just a waste of 2 years really, i mean, sure they may be "fun" but most people can get a A/B with next to no effort.
Reply 43
OP - You are an idiot.
leighke
I personally don't think they are. In today's society, any old muppet can get AAA, as evidenced by the fact that 1 in 13 people do, and 25% of candidates get at least one A :rofl:. Why be proud of something you're certainly not in the minority to have achieved.
Also, I do an apprenticeship, and I have portfolios, practical exams, designing my own styles etc etc, whereas A-level students have a bit of coursework and a one, maybe two hour exam in each unit.
I don't know what it is, but I certainly wouldn't have done A-levels if I could go back in time a year, as I really think they're not worth the paper they're written on.
Who agrees?

Strange... most people on here are actually 'students'

"Why be proud of something you're certainly not in the minority to have achieved."
=== FAIL STATEMENT (25% is a minority)

Also, with 5 Cs at GCSE, according to anecdotal trends, you would be very unlikely to get an A at A level, yet alone 3 A's. Thus you're not in the best position to be smugly deriding A level education as worthless
Reply 45
Didn't you get 5 Cs at GCSE OP? Is that it or did you get more? At my college even if you wanted to stay on and do A-levels, they wouldn't let you with those grades. So you would have failed before you'd even begun. Lmao.
princessnavi22
People with A levels and degree pay people like you with apprenticeships to sweep up our hair off the floor when we go get it cut.

I know what I'd rather have.

:coma:
Excellent response, +rep :woo:
Ali M
it's pretty awesome! apart from c4.. ugh!

I'm taking it next year after gcses. I've heard quite a bit on TSR about the dreaded C4... I'll look out for when it comes thanks :smile:
Reply 48
8/10
princessnavi22
People with A levels and degree pay people like you with apprenticeships to sweep up our hair off the floor when we go get it cut.

I know what I'd rather have.

great answer. i'm going to try to give rep but i don't know if my rep is good enough to do that :/
Reply 50
A levels are the first hurdle between me and my millions. So yeh i think they are pretty damned important.
leighke

Who agrees?

:rofl:
Reply 52
ny2ko
biology is easy. try physics and you'll totally change your mind

Physics is easy. Try Chemistry.:eek3:
Reply 53
Languagesfreak
:rofl:

I don't see what's so funny about that? I stand by it.
Reply 54
leighke

Who agrees?

:lolwut:
1 in 4 and 1 in 13 are most definately the minorities.
leighke
I don't see what's so funny about that? I stand by it.

Any old muppet? You have to be extremely intelligent to get AAA.
Reply 56
Languagesfreak
Any old muppet? You have to be extremely intelligent to get AAA.

:rofl: My brother got AAA in subjects like History and Economics, and he's not exactly 'extremely intelligent'.
leighke
:rofl: My brother got AAA in subjects like History and Economics, and he's not exactly 'extremely intelligent'.

History and Economics are both respected subjects. He's not exactly a muppet if he got As in both of them!
Reply 58
leighke

Shame your on the other end of the scale.
leighke

Who agrees?

Arrgh, thats it, im going to have to whack out a bit of Quantum Mechanics!

Actually, if the best physicists dont understand it, no-one will, but here goes:

Suppose a cat is locked in a box where nothing goes in or comes out. How do you know if its dead or alive, without opening the box. Actually is it even dead or alive? Quantum physics says its neither and both at the same time. (WHAT!) The cat only decides once you open the box. (WTF!) IN the same way everything has a probability attached to it, every choice you make produces a parrallel universe. A photon of light doesnt go striaght from one point to another. It takes litterally evry path possible, and usually ends up taking the most probable one.

Could you get that? Could you answer questions on that?

I barely can! BARELY!

Latest