Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE Higher Mathematics Vectors

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have problems with vectors in terms of knowing which direction to go from in terms of the several vector laws and position vectors. My main problem is definitely knowing which direction to obtain the values from.2

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7676/13313514.png

Regarding Question 1, question b requires me to find AE. I started at A then I went to B then to C then to D and finally E to obtain y-x-y-x.

For C I had to obtain the answer for AC. I started at A to B then to C which I recieved -y-z, but the answer is 4x +y.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Please I need help. What can I do to prevent myself from making the same mistakes within the examination?

All comments are greatly appreciated. Many thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You appear to be making the assumption that BA is y, which it isn't.

What you should do is use the fact that AE=3ED so since ED is x, you know that AE=3x. Then you can go from A to E to D to C.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ttoby. Thanks alot. But it's the same with all other Vector questions I am exposed to. I keep on making the same mistakes in terms of which direction to go in.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What you need to remember is for two vectors to be the same, they need to have the same length (or magnitude) and the same direction. In your question, DC and BA had roughly the same length but their directions were different, so you couldn't say that they were the same vectors.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick198929)
    Hey I have problems with vectors in terms of knowing which direction to go from in terms of the several vector laws and position vectors. My main problem is definitely knowing which direction to obtain the values from.2

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7676/13313514.png

Regarding Question 1, question b requires me to find AE. I started at A then I went to B then to C then to D and finally E to obtain y-x-y-x.

For C I had to obtain the answer for AC. I started at A to B then to C which I recieved -y-z, but the answer is 4x +y.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Please I need help. What can I do to prevent myself from making the same mistakes within the examination?

All comments are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Hey, could you please post the actual correct answers from the mark scheme for all questions A-D so people can help if they've got the right answer too..

Like, I've worked these out but I can't really explain them without knowing for sure if I'm right coz there's no point explaining something if it's wrong in the first place. Also, answers will help those who attempted this question and want to know if they got it right.

Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2009
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.