The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

charrrlotte.ox
LATIN SHOULD BE WORTH THREE GCSES.

i still maintain this.

^^
This. We're on the accelerated two year course, and the language is fine....but OH MY ******* GOD THE LITERATURE IS KILLING ME......I'm predicted an A*, but as I battle to memorise the translations and learn style points, pathos and god knows what else of Nisus and ******* Euryalus, a bunch of stupid poets and Caeser anf Tacitus I could have taken Spanish and Geography and still had time left over for Child Development or something equally dossy on the side.....
Reply 41
charrrlotte.ox
LATIN SHOULD BE WORTH THREE GCSES.

i still maintain this.

hahaha can we make it 8 please?! :biggrin:
and AS worth 5 As????
Reply 42
chloemo14
^^
This. We're on the accelerated two year course, and the language is fine....but OH MY ******* GOD THE LITERATURE IS KILLING ME......I'm predicted an A*, but as I battle to memorise the translations and learn style points, pathos and god knows what else of Nisus and ******* Euryalus, a bunch of stupid poets and Caeser anf Tacitus I could have taken Spanish and Geography and still had time left over for Child Development or something equally dossy on the side.....

its worth it... trust... anyway, when u know the lit u feel properly clever :biggrin:
t3h_y0u553f
IMO, people massively overrate its difficulty.

txdfcyhjgvbmkl;,.

EDIT: yeah but the majority of people who take the exam find it REALLY hard...
eenie_pod
Yes - an A* in Japanese when you are Japanese doesnt mean anything. Same for Media Studies, ICT, Food Technology (:laugh:), Citizenship (:rofl:).... the list goes on.
the core academic subjects are the ones that matter: maths and sciences, languages.

Hey, i got a B in Food Technology! It was compulsery in our school....
The way that league tables are compiled implies that maths and English are more important than the others.
Not only is the percentage of 5(A*-C) taken into account, but also the percentage when these 5 have to include maths and English.
I know I haven't put that very clearly, but I hope it makes sense lol
Reply 46
Well I'm suprised there hasn't been a big discussion about the disproportionality of some GCSEs, History and French (especially the speaking test) require so much memory retention, and subjects like ICT you can get 4 GCSEs at an A for about 1 hour of work.
Reply 47
I have a personal respect for anyone who does/did languages, I think they require a lot more than media for example.

As well, it's one of the few subjects that you have to use all of your knowledge/what you've learnt. Modular exams tend to break that up for most people instead of having to recall everything - where most likely they'd do worse. Languages are so useful as well, I just can't help but respect them :tongue:

The diversity of GCSE style weights things differently for different people mind. I did a lot of 'pure' style subjects, just exam based, little revision - done. Whereas I did art, and my god I had to work for the year for that.

Latest