The Student Room Group

Which British county has the most regional identity and pride?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yorkshire or Cornwall.
Reply 41
Norfolk maybe
Reply 42
Yorkshire.

Cornwall's a nicer place, mind.
*ducks missile*
Greater London surely?

We could probably function quite well as a separate country and have a tidy economy too.
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of repping our home counties....SOMERSET!
We give you cider, cheese and The Wurzels - what more could you want?!

We also have many Facebook groups including "I'm from Somerset and I ******* loves it!"
We even have people wanting to be from Somerset - "I'm nearly from Somerset and would ******* love it...."
:yep:
Reply 45
cornwall, bloody freaks
Reply 46
xps.systems
Greater London surely?

We could probably function quite well as a separate country and have a tidy economy too.

but there's so many different types of Londoners that we all clash and fail epically
Reply 47
burninginme
Which British county would you say has the most regional pride? Most British counties have little if any regional identity that makes it distinct from the next county, unlike the concept of American states, which often have very distinct regional identities and cultures (I know England, Wales, Scotland and NI are politically closer to states than counties are, but let's ignore that).

Also, I would say excluding Cornwall as while it is probably the British county with the most regional identity, it is very debatably it's own country being distinct from England with it's own celtic language.

You expect people here to have taken a poll? Or are you looking for baseless generalizations?
Reply 48
Probably Cornwall. Their are actually some lunatics down in that county who want it independent. I followed a link from a politics website onto a forum where the Cornish nats congregate and some of the stuff they say about 'the english' would make Mel Gibson blanch.

Tyne and Wear also worth a mention, although Newcastle should really be part of Northumberland in my opinion. On the opposite end of the scale, I think somewhere dull like Northamptonshire is likely to be the most self-hating county.
Yorkshire. Even though its a ******** and I hate going there. Good chippys though.

Other mentions: Merseyside, Northumberland. I seriously hope those saying places like Lincolnshire and Cheshire are taking the piss.
minimo156
Yorkshire

Or Lancashire with our hotpot! :p:

i second, have you heard of the lancashire hotpots? the band i mean
Reply 51
Yorkshire has more stereotypes than any other county in england, if thats atall representative of regional identity.
Reply 52
yorkshire
Reply 53
Devon!

People don't really think about it, they think of it's brash southern neighbour (like the Canada of the UK!), but really we're the best, and we freakin know it. We just won Another! "best quality of life" county from some bigwig government windbag, but we didn't need that to know.

The cornish make a hue and cry about their independence, but really they're just whiny. The Devonians are quietly, happily independent.
eee Meerseysiiiide
Yorkshire, quite clearly.
Reply 56
buckinghamshire of course
Tyne & Wear.
Already been mentioned twice though, but still.

We basically have our own language? Haha. We also have things like stotties and pease pudding to be proud of.
Reply 58
jamz0770
Kent, we kept the Nazi's out with spitfire's :smile:

+1
Nahro
The Royal County of Berkshire :smile:

Joking, right?

I lived in Newbury for 7 years, but for all the individuality and identity the place had I may as well have been living in any southern town. I guess it did have the agricultural show...

To the original question: Yorkshire. Aye.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending