The Student Room Group

Which British county has the most regional identity and pride?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Northumberland, its so unique and remote most people don’t recognise it exists. Scotland starts at Newcastle apparently
Reply 81
YORKSHIRE! :suith:
Reply 82
Devon is not unlike Cornwall in the way that it has pride as a county. Most people know where it is and know a bit about it even if they hadn't been there. So I'd probably say Devon if Cornwall isn't allowed.

Counties in Wales seem to have pride via their rugby teams.
Reply 83
>Anna<
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of repping our home counties....SOMERSET!
We give you cider, cheese and The Wurzels - what more could you want?!

We also have many Facebook groups including "I'm from Somerset and I ******* loves it!"
We even have people wanting to be from Somerset - "I'm nearly from Somerset and would ******* love it...."
:yep:

What about Wiltshire :puppyeyes:
Reply 84
Surrey :cool:
Reply 85
ITT: Places that steer as far away as possible from RP
Reply 86
Kernow
Reply 87
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Merseyside.

Merseyside Are you sure?
First of all, is it a county? As far as I am aware it is not a county.
Secondly for arguments sake, if it is a county, are you sure people would be proud of Merseyside? Wirral still regard themselves as cheshire. Southport and St.Helens Lancashire.
Merseyside is not a county.
Me, personally I would say Lancashire.

I can't seem to put images up so: http://www.royharrison.co.uk/images/Map%20of%20Lancashire.jpg
Reply 88
edited - thanks acalia.
Reply 89
Yorkshire, aka Gods Own County.

Called that for a reason you know..........
Reply 90
Cj-Tj
Yorkshire, aka Gods Own County.

Called that for a reason you know..........

Yorskhire, no!

It is about Lancashire.

We are so much better than Yorkshire.

There are thousands of reasons why. I listed 13.

1.Lancashire is God's own county.
2.Some people who come from outside Lancashire can still understand most of what Lancashire people say.
3.Good food from Lancashire = Manchester tart, Lancashire cheese, Chip barm, Bacon butty, etc, etc, etc (the list is obviously far too long to include here but you get the idea)
4. Lancashires best beer = Boddingtons
5. Lancashire's got Blackpool, what's Yorkshire got?
6. Lancashire's much flatter so easier to get around.
7. We got Preston, Salford, Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster. Yes Yorkshire has more cities since it is a bigger county. The largest city of Yorkshire is Leeds, a dumping **** in a middle of a round-about.
8. War of Roses, Lancashire Won
9.We have larger towns such as Bolton, Wigan, Bury, St.Helens, Warrington etc...
10. We have coronation street.
11. Football clubs such as Liverpool, Everton, Man city, Man Utd, Bolton wanderers, Wigan, etc....
12. Lancashire has CULTURE, and it doesn't just consist of being tight with money.
13. You don't find as many Lancashire folk in Yorkshire as you do in Lancashire.
Reply 91
essex lol ? full of chavs..
Reply 92
SOAPIE
Yorskhire, no!

It is about Lancashire.

1.Lancashire is God's own county.

Um.... put "Gods Own County" into Wikipedia and see where you end up.

Clue; Its not Lancashire............... :wink:
Reply 93
Cj-Tj
Um.... put "Gods Own County" into Wikipedia and see where you end up.

Clue; Its not Lancashire............... :wink:

lol
A sign of the times; it is nearing. You see if God thought Yorkshire was amazing, he would let you win the war of the roses, hmmm
Reply 94
who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 95
Yorkshire baby! :woo: :woo:
SOAPIE

However much you or the people of St Helens despise it, Merseyside is a county and it does contain St Helens and Liverpool. Salford and Manchester are also part of Greater Manchester, another county. I'm sure the people of both counties would rather not associate themselves with Lancashire as Liverpool in particular is like a completely separate unity with different cultures, accents and landmarks to pride. Whether both Manchester and Liverpool were historically part of Lancashire or not is irrelevant, they're not now, and thank goodness because they are both too good for it anyway. :p:
Reply 97
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
However much you or the people of St Helens despise it, Merseyside is a county and it does contain St Helens and Liverpool. Salford and Manchester are also part of Greater Manchester, another county. I'm sure the people of both counties would rather not associate themselves with Lancashire as Liverpool in particular is like a completely separate unity with different cultures, accents and landmarks to pride. Whether both Manchester and Liverpool were historically part of Lancashire or not is irrelevant, they're not now, and thank goodness because they are both too good for it anyway. :p:

That is not true. A lot of people does not matter where you from, refuse to put Merseyside or Greater Manchester in their address. I know people in Warrington who put lancashire instead Cheshire. Liverpool Lancashire, Manchester Lancashire. That is it. We are in Lancashire; Merseyside and GM do not exist anymore. They continue because it is voluntary.
Reply 98
SOAPIE
lol
A sign of the times; it is nearing. You see if God thought Yorkshire was amazing, he would let you win the war of the roses, hmmm

If God thought Lancashire was so amazing he wouldn't have burdened it with Liverpool.........
SOAPIE
That is not true. A lot of people does not matter where you from, refuse to put Merseyside or Greater Manchester in their address. I know people in Warrington who put lancashire instead Cheshire. Liverpool Lancashire, Manchester Lancashire. That is it. We are in Lancashire; Merseyside and GM do not exist anymore. They continue because it is voluntary.

You're crazy, I don't know anyone who would rather put 'Lancashire' instead of 'Merseyside' in their address. Firstly because their post wouldn't get delivered, and secondly because Merseyside + GM >>>> Lancashire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending