The Student Room Group
Reply 1
anyone?
HAve you declared on ucas you will be sitting one? If not they can't, if you are then perhaps, though my guess would be that this only normaly happens when people are resitting something like english or maths
Reply 3
You should definitely email them to tell them about your situation and I'm sure then it will be fine.
Reply 4
Yes,

A friend of mine got an offer of AAB (I think) + an A grade in gcse maths, because he only had a B in maths and they needed an A.

He wasn't planning to resit Maths (didn't put it on his ucas as pending or anything) so in the end he's having to go to another uni.
Reply 5
Mmh I've only heard of unis asking for maths at GCSE/IGCSE (for science oriented subjects or economics), normally they would ask for the foreign language at A-Level.

For example, I've been conditionally accepted if I get a B grade in French (which should be no problem!!!) plus the rest of my 300 UCAS tariff points.
Never heard of a case in which they asked for the language at GCSE!!!

Either way, phone or mail the uni and/or change the status online of your application so that they can see that you are sitting the paper...otherwise your place is not guaranteed! And believe me, the last thing you want is to have doubts and things eating out your mind during these pre-uni years/months etc!

Good luck :smile: and may I ask what subject you chose which required this unusual request?
If the university requires a C or above in a GCSE foreign language as part of their general entry requirements then yes, you will be expected to attain this grade as well as any grades they give you for your A levels. If it is part of their entry requirements then you are required to have it upon entry, simple as that. Come results day you would have to wait for the GCSE results day to confirm your place which is a week after the A levels one, until then your offer wouldn't be confirmed as you hadn't met all of the entry requirements.

This is very common for Maths/English/Science GCSEs - people resit them, they are included in the offer alongside A levels as its basic entry stuff, then people have to wait a week before they find out the definite outcome of their application. My friend was in this situation for GCSE Science to enter a Primary Education course.

As has been said, ensure you enter this pending qualification on your UCAS form. If you do not prove that you will have met the basic requirements by the end of August you will get an instant rejection.
Reply 7
BellaFont
Mmh I've only heard of unis asking for maths at GCSE/IGCSE (for science oriented subjects or economics), normally they would ask for the foreign language at A-Level.

For example, I've been conditionally accepted if I get a B grade in French (which should be no problem!!!) plus the rest of my 300 UCAS tariff points.
Never heard of a case in which they asked for the language at GCSE!!!

Either way, phone or mail the uni and/or change the status online of your application so that they can see that you are sitting the paper...otherwise your place is not guaranteed! And believe me, the last thing you want is to have doubts and things eating out your mind during these pre-uni years/months etc!

Good luck :smile: and may I ask what subject you chose which required this unusual request?

Chinese at Leeds University, the don't require an A-level, as it is taught from scratch, they just want a GCSE at grade C or higher, i think its to show some sort of experience with a language exam.

Thank you for your replies.
Reply 8
David994
Chinese at Leeds University, the don't require an A-level, as it is taught from scratch, they just want a GCSE at grade C or higher, i think its to show some sort of experience with a language exam.

Thank you for your replies.

Can you choose the language?
If you can...I advise you choose French :smile:

Both Spanish and German have terrible grammar XD (esp German!) believe me, I'm doing both this year too!
Reply 9
BellaFont
Can you choose the language?
If you can...I advise you choose French :smile:

Both Spanish and German have terrible grammar XD (esp German!) believe me, I'm doing both this year too!

I can, i'm doing Italian as i have prior knowledge of it. :biggrin:
Reply 10
David994
I can, i'm doing Italian as i have prior knowledge of it. :biggrin:

Seriously, don't worry too much :smile:
GCSE language exams are very basic level, at least imo.
But study hard and ensure a good grade, as to not eff up your chances because of a stupid little reason.
Good luck!!!!!
:yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending