The Student Room Group

getting a summer job

ive just left my job at a supermarket so I can concentrate on my exams, and so after my exams i am planning on getting a well-paid summer job!
BUT, is it easy to get a good summer job that doesnt have too long hours and will let me have some holiday off to go my two holidays? :p:
I was thinking either just an office temp or something, but surely there must be some exciting summer jobs available? Any1 have suggestions :questionm
Reply 1
jeni8686
ive just left my job at a supermarket so I can concentrate on my exams, and so after my exams i am planning on getting a well-paid summer job!
BUT, is it easy to get a good summer job that doesnt have too long hours and will let me have some holiday off to go my two holidays? :p:
I was thinking either just an office temp or something, but surely there must be some exciting summer jobs available? Any1 have suggestions :questionm

You can make great money working in hospitals. I worked in the kitchen of one of the main hospitals here, for 2 summers running. They don't differentiate between student wages and temporary staff. It was literally the best money I've made. Plus the shifts were 8 hours, usually weekends off and knew the days I'd be working well in advance so I could plan things.
Reply 2
How did u go about getting the job in the hospital?
Reply 3
have you tried:
www.summerjobs4students.co.uk
its a great site and has some great jobs listed just for the summer months
Reply 4
I can't seem to find any jobs on there :confused:
Reply 5
I just sent a cv with a cover letter to the personnel department. Thena week or two later I rang asking if they were taking on people, they took my name and must've found my cv. Its not a bad idea to speak to someone in person cos they receive tonnes of cvs.
Reply 6
I couldnt find any jobs on that website either? Ive tried applying to BBC for placements but the competitions so fierce I dont think i can base my whole summer on the hope I might get one..
I didnt find that website very usefull.

What's the best way to get a temping job? Are there any websites?
Reply 8
yeh are there any temping sites?
sb1986
yeh are there any temping sites?

Try something like Office Angels I guess?
Reply 10
Also looking in your local newspaper can be helpful, the temping agencies in my area always post adverts in it :smile:
Reply 11
Iam 16 years old and finish gcse exams in june Iam looking for summerwork but Iam going on hoilday in july for 2 weeks do you think any one would take me on and if yes do you know anywebsite that will point me in the right direction
Reply 12
For goodness sake people, look in local paper, make phonecalls and ask, just get on with it, www.hotrecruit.com has some stuff. U've gotta realise though all students want work in the summer, needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later, try places like royal mail as well, or builders etc for labouring
Reply 13
And keep badgering people, keep ringin them back even when theyve said they'll contact you because most of the time they forget.
Reply 14
Thank you for the advice
Reply 15
The sooner you get a summer job sorted the better. I was lucky enough in that after my A-Levels I got a summer job that i started the week after my last exam. A lot of my friends spent almost a month looking for jobs after their exams finished, by which time the better ones had gone. I was also lucky with mine in another sense in that the job is related to my degree (geography) and is very seasonal (they only need extra staff during the hols) so I go back and work every holiday, so I don't have to waste time finding a job.
Reply 16
There is a company in London called Project International whom i worked for last summer, and offer summer camps to spoilt little foreign kids to learn english and also do some other sort of combined activities (mine was a soccer camp thing, but they do more enjoyable ones!)
Key perk - the pay isn't anything worth complaining about, and they are about the only company at the school we worked who allowed their workers to drink at all during the work period - great eh!
enjoy xXx
Reply 17
jeni8686

Register with a Temp agency, or get some promotional work! Thats always fun!! As for jobs in Cardiff....loadsa bars in St Marys St that take on students, lots of the retail stores take on freshers and the Union is massive and needs lots of staff, and they all work around your schedule.
Reply 18
t!na
Register with a Temp agency, or get some promotional work! Thats always fun!! As for jobs in Cardiff....loadsa bars in St Marys St that take on students, lots of the retail stores take on freshers and the Union is massive and needs lots of staff, and they all work around your schedule.

thanks for your help! If i get the grades to go to Cardiff one of the first things I'll do when I get there is look for a job, prob at one of the shops in the city centre. I dunno if i'll get a job in a bar though, Id rather be on the other side of the bar! :beer:

Latest

Trending

Trending