The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For the comprehension thing, it's just practice you need really - getting used to the weird things they ask you to do!

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that it is only worth 18 of the 90 marks, a mere 20%.
So don't stress about it! :biggrin:
Reply 2
placenta medicae talpae
For the comprehension thing, it's just practice you need really - getting used to the weird things they ask you to do!

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that it is only worth 18 of the 90 marks, a mere 20%.
So don't stress about it! :biggrin:

Do you mean I should do more past papers? Or one past paper is enough. Cause my teacher said the case study would be different so no use to practice.

I'm more worried about the main sections. I did the June 06 past paper. It's the hardest paper that I have ever done. I have to refer to the mark scheme almost all question.

Btw 20% is still a large percentage. Getting full or nothing will up or down my grades. That's why I'm abit scared of it. If I don't understand the scenario/case study, it might push down my grades. So I think I should spend most of the time in the exam trying to understand the case study.

My strategy is to
Read and understand the question for 5mins
Then, read the text for 30mins
And answer the question while refering for 15mins

Extra ten minutes wasting time,looking at our hot invigilators :wink:

What do you reckon?
The comprehension paper isn't exactly that bad. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to do a few more, if you have the time. Otherwise I'd worry more about the main C4.

And yeah Q6 on that June 06 paper was crazy!
I did the june 06 paper yesterday too and was like :O it was just bad lol. But, i read the examiners report which was like everyone did bad on this paper which made me feel a bit better because i think if that's the case they adjust the grade boundaries? Might be wrong though. I haven't done much comprehension practice either as I thought it would be better concentrating on the main paper seeing as there's not much you can do to revise for the comprehension. Good luck for tommorow :smile:
Reply 5
Do the June 07 paper, it will make you feel better :wink:
yeah that one was a lot better, it would be good if tommorows was more like that one!
Was June 06 communicating with alien planets? If so, that was the hardest thing ever.

Otherwise, this paper is just a good way of stopping Maths geeks who can't read English from getting 600/600 UMS on Maths A-Level. If you can count, use a calculator, and analyse text, you're sorted.
Reply 8
off topic but what is the comprehension paper?
I'm doing C4 and have never heard of this!
Basically they give you like 4 pages worth of text which you have to read. They then set you questions on it.

You can't revise for it and the papers are so different each year that you can't 'practice' them either
A.M. M
Do you mean I should do more past papers? Or one past paper is enough. Cause my teacher said the case study would be different so no use to practice.

I'm more worried about the main sections. I did the June 06 past paper. It's the hardest paper that I have ever done. I have to refer to the mark scheme almost all question.

Btw 20% is still a large percentage. Getting full or nothing will up or down my grades. That's why I'm abit scared of it. If I don't understand the scenario/case study, it might push down my grades. So I think I should spend most of the time in the exam trying to understand the case study.

My strategy is to
Read and understand the question for 5mins
Then, read the text for 30mins
And answer the question while refering for 15mins

Extra ten minutes wasting time,looking at our hot invigilators :wink:

What do you reckon?

Our invigilators are old :frown:
Reply 11
Zorg
off topic but what is the comprehension paper?
I'm doing C4 and have never heard of this!

are you doing OCR MEI?
The comprehension is on that syllabus- not sure about the rest!
Reply 12
GilbertLam
Our invigilators are old :frown:

Atleast that won't distract you in the exam room. ;p

Ready for tomorrow?

I did the past papers and got like 59-65. But when I did June 06, I think I managed to get around 40.
Reply 13
this c4 exam sucks so much, cuz im doing pretty well in the actual papers getting, 50-, but then i lose so many marks in the damn comprehension paper gettin only 9 marks out of 18, so this adds up to around 60 out if 90 altogether, and its around 66/90 for a B. its sucks, how do i do well on this comprehension crap......helllllpppp
Reply 14
It's definitely advisable to do a few comprehension papers. Gets a feel for the type of questions they'll ask you.
The MEI comprehension papers are not directed on the syllabus.....
Reply 16
Individual
The MEI comprehension papers are not directed on the syllabus.....

Exactly. I believe this paper is to test how smart are we in Maths but not how well we revise. This can be unfair to some people. But I hope not to me. ;p
A.M. M

Your teacher does have a point about the case studies being wildly different every time ...

But practice will hopefully get you used to what you need to write down in the exam, make you much more confident in handling the papers, and will help you to see what the examiners are looking for (if you use mark schemes as well).
i just hope it'll be on something interesting, not "measuring the volume of engines" :yawn:
Ben_Broadhurst
i just hope it'll be on something interesting, not "measuring the volume of engines" :yawn:

At least that was easy :p: