The Student Room Group

"What contribution will you make to this Med School?"

I know this is a common question asked at interviews, but I don't know exactly what they are looking for. Is it enough to say you play football/tennis/cricket etc and hope to carry it on at med school? Or are they more interested in whether or not you are likely to be a student rep/help run the union etc?

I am interested because Im a graduate applicant, studying at a small rural campus, which has a union but only does sports and farming societies. The only things I have done to contribute so far are that I play in the women's basketball team, and I volunteer as an equine therapy centre assistant (which is onsite and run by students).

Are these types of things what they would be looking for? I'm also looking into helping run HE events next year too if that helps.

Scroll to see replies

Shockley
I know this is a common question asked at interviews, but I don't know exactly what they are looking for. Is it enough to say you play football/tennis/cricket etc and hope to carry it on at med school? Or are they more interested in whether or not you are likely to be a student rep/help run the union etc?

I am interested because Im a graduate applicant, studying at a small rural campus, which has a union but only does sports and farming societies. The only things I have done to contribute so far are that I play in the women's basketball team, and I volunteer as an equine therapy centre assistant (which is onsite and run by students).

Are these types of things what they would be looking for? I'm also looking into helping run HE events next year too if that helps.

have a look at the clubs the universities have on offer and think of a few you would join will look good at interview i suppose.
Reply 2
They aren't looking for a specific "Magic ticket" contribution or anything, like "I would like to be Welfare and Support Officer in my third year because blah..." they're just looking for any particular talents or skills you have that could contribute. For mine, I said I could teach trampolining (Which I could, at the time) and I haven't done that at all, but I have taught and organised climbing for three years here.
Your sick awesome personality :P

But I'm not sure they'd accept that. I need to get my serious face on when interviews arrive...
Reply 4
A case of severe alcoholism :dontknow:
Probably nothing, very much like the three hundred-ish other people in my year.
DrDomDom
I BRING THE PAIN

Is that response accompanied by sound effects and/or action moves? :holmes:
Reply 7
"I'll prop up the bar for you."

:biggrin:
Reply 8
Get with the most lecturers?
Renal

Did you?
Reply 10
Renal

Heheheh. I was waiting for you to say that! :rofl:

(fair point though, it is contributing to the union :o: ).
Reply 11
crazyferret
Did you?
Say it? Yes. Got a laugh out of the then head of admissions.

Achieve it? The bar manager missed me while I was on elective...
I managed to bluff my way through that question somehow...
Reply 13
Sod it, enough of this suck-up lark. I'll just slip them a tenner each :ninja:
Reply 14
About 18k in tuition fees, and much much more in Alumni donations when I graduate. Honest.
I'll impregnate several other students so we can study live births?
Shockley

Oooooo I had this at my uni interview!

I said that i'm hoping to participate in opportunities on offer, and be a positive advocate for the university but also let my studies and hardwork reflect this through positive time managment. I also mentioned an interest in the NAMA (nursing and midwifery association, we get our own students union as we're special lol) sports on offer and participating in the netball and also the council being a course rep.

This involved a bit of a research into the opportunities i have at notts uni on my side, ie the societies, educational opportunities, ie i feigned an interest in doing an elective in china...

5 months in and ive only done 2 things of the stuff i said, lol i am in one society (medsin) and have got a good result in an exam :p:
Reply 17
Subcutaneous

This involved a bit of a research into the opportunities i have at notts uni on my side, ie the societies, educational opportunities, ie i feigned an interest in doing an elective in china...

Oh god, I forgot, I studied in Shanghai this year! Blimey, how time flies..
Reply 18
Subcutaneous
Oooooo I had this at my uni interview!
The best way for you to contribute to medical school is to leave it alone.
Reply 19
Also, what do they expect you to say for "why do you want to be a doctor"? It seems so obvious to you but so difficult to explain.
But yeah, I'd say something about how hard you work and that you would strive hard to get tasks completed, probably a rubbish answer but I cant think of anything else!

Latest

Trending

Trending