The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Meteorshower
There is no set amount that will work for every person. My advice is to just go through 5th year making sure that if you don't understand something when you first get taught it, you make a concerted effort to understand it there and then. It is far easier when it comes to revision for prelims and final exams to go over stuff you've understood at one point, than to try and understand a whole bunch of stuff for the first time.

If that takes an hour a week for each subject, go for it.

Ok :smile:
They never told me that me and half my year will be falling ill due to stress :frown:. The thing about this being the worst year of your life is true, it has been, but thank god its almost finished. I haven't studied much for history and computing :frown:.
That although the school handbook says you will have 6-8 hours of homework a week, they are actually lying. Double that. Easily.

That standard grades are **** easy and do not prepare you for highers.
Reply 23
dreamyeyed
That although the school handbook says you will have 6-8 hours of homework a week, they are actually lying. Double that. Easily.

That standard grades are **** easy and do not prepare you for highers.

What! I had like no homework this year or during standard grades :smile:

I've been fairly lucky though :P
Reply 24
Lalalalalaa
Reply 25
LuhLah
What about the whole "You'll see people having breakdowns by Feb/March" thing, is that true?

Depends what kind of people they are tbh :P
Ronar
What! I had like no homework this year or during standard grades :smile:

I've been fairly lucky though :P

Lucky you! Fifth year was one big load of homework for me! I was always tired from staying up doing homework and working three nights a week. My history and english teachers gave so much homework though.
LuhLah
What about the whole "You'll see people having breakdowns by Feb/March" thing, is that true?

My French teacher told us this in October and it happened to me.
Reply 28
dreamyeyed
Lucky you! Fifth year was one big load of homework for me! I was always tired from staying up doing homework and working three nights a week. My history and english teachers gave so much homework though.

gutted! I don't know if that's bad or not, I may have failed all my exams haa
Reply 29
ArcadiaHouse

3. Geography is not your 'doss subject'.
5. Be organised.
7. A year goes by in a flash.
14. You will stay up until 1am studying some nights and some of your teachers won't even bother to mark your work. So don't bother, eh?
21. Keep on top of everything.

Deposit your fifth year baggage here.

We've got some of the same books in our baggage but:
- I wish i had taken French instead of history.
- Would tell myself that leaving work throughout the year just because your teacher doesnt care is not a good policy.
- Possibly moved school, a mixed school would have been welcome.
- To tell myself A levels are much harder than bloody GCSEs.

Btw, I'm sure you havent failed, oxbridge here u come! Your exams surely havent finished yet?
Reply 30
ArcadiaHouse
My French teacher told us this in October and it happened to me.

But Arcadia, I love you. :love: :whip: :hump:
andrew.P
Btw, I'm sure you havent failed, oxbridge here u come! Your exams surely havent finished yet?

They have, actually, and they were ok, but it's the financial side of things tbh. Also, the cleverest people last year were all rejected, so what chance do I have? :p: Lol.
Reply 32
i can't decide about 5th year. i think it's the year where things change and things start to sort of pull together. there have been times this year when i've been really confused as to why people say s5 is difficult, and others when i've been drowning in work and literally losing the will to live (ok not literally, i'm a happy person). but the biggest piece of advice that doesnt get given out often enough (so keep it quiet, cos people won't be happy with you knowing...!):

1. Highers aren't as horrifically difficult as everyone keeps telling you they are! (except higher maths...but that's just for me!)

overall i've enjoyed 5th year. it's different to any other year before it, although not always necessarily better.

please don't revise over the summer. read around the subject a bit maybe, but summer is summer; enjoy it, then freak out come august! :smile:
1) Standard grades count for nothing. They were just meant to get you used to doing an exam in a big hall.
2) Actually put effort in this year so you can get your grades and do whatever you want in 6th year. Otherwise you'll end up like most people, having to scrape a few extra grades in 6th year.
3) Be nice to people in your year, your most likely going to know everyone on a personal level next year.
4) Higher Maths must be revised constantly
5) Your really going to regret saying "Ah but the exams ages away"
Reply 34
ArcadiaHouse
They have, actually, and they were ok, but it's the financial side of things tbh. Also, the cleverest people last year were all rejected, so what chance do I have? :p: Lol.

Ah, i've still got 6 exams! Can't you get a grant or something? Its not that much more expensive @ oxbridge than others is it? Your good looking so you'll get in :p: lol
LuhLah
Why though?

The pressure just got to me. I thought I'd never be able to do it. I'd chosen the wrong subjects and thought I was doomed to failure, but I wasn't. I've sat them now and I'm doing more next year and I'm sure you'll be fine, too. :smile:
andrew.P
Ah, i've still got 6 exams! Can't you get a grant or something? Its not that much more expensive @ oxbridge than others is it? Your good looking so you'll get in :p: lol

In Scotland it's free, so yes it's very very expensive lol. And are you being serious? My avatar is the model Daisy Lowe, ex-girlfriend of Mark Ronson, and my profile pic is of Oscar Wilde. Unless he does it for you, lol. Good luck with your exams!
Reply 37
S5 just sounds jobbieish.
Reply 38
ArcadiaHouse
In Scotland it's free, so yes it's very very expensive lol. And are you being serious? My avatar is the model Daisy Lowe, ex-girlfriend of Mark Ronson, and my profile pic is of Oscar Wilde. Unless he does it for you, lol. Good luck with your exams!

Actually, it's no more expensive than studying in Scotland for most, as most people do 4 years at least in Scotland, and here it's 3 years.
The living costs of an average student are circa £10k, so that makes up the 3 years worth of tuition fees.
Just so you know:wink:

Oh, and my things to know...
It's really not as bad as your teachers told you(but I kinda figured that anyway).
Oh, also, do some work for the BMO, cos that coulda been fun.
Reply 39
ArcadiaHouse

:frown: you made me look silly there! I was talking about your avatar. Ah, are you applying to Edinburgh then? Good luck with yours too!

Latest

Trending

Trending