The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Yep, I'm an Exeter English student. You get 2 seminars per week, which last 2 hours each; these are with a professor and around 10-12 other students. Then you have 2 study group meetings: one for each module and here, you meet up with about 6 people from your seminar group. answer set questions and speak about the week's text informally. We usually meet after the lecture in the coffee bar or in the bar :biggrin:

The reading list is pretty eclectic: there's stuff from Shakespeare to Milton to Toni Morrison to the film American beauty (and some other really strange ones!). PM me if you want to know anything
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hi Fiona! My best friend is going to study English (and classics joint honours) at Exeter staring this year, proving she gets the yucky AAA they want. So say hi to her (she is called Katie) -she is great! Anyway, she seemed to get a really good feel when she has been around the uni.
Reply 3
sophieliz
Hi Fiona! My best friend is going to study English (and classics joint honours) at Exeter staring this year, proving she gets the yucky AAA they want. So say hi to her (she is called Katie) -she is great! Anyway, she seemed to get a really good feel when she has been around the uni.

Yay! I haven't been on the Student Room for ages, and when I do I see someone is talking bout me! He he. Thanks Soph! I must say, I'm starting to get a little concerned about the fact that I have recieved nothing reading list wise from either the English or Classics Departments. Hmm. Time to contact them, I reckon.
Reply 4
coopiesugar
I'm starting to get a little concerned about the fact that I have recieved nothing reading list wise from either the English or Classics Departments.

Honestly Katie...an English student and you spell "received" incorrectly!
coopiesugar
Yay! I haven't been on the Student Room for ages, and when I do I see someone is talking bout me! He he. Thanks Soph! I must say, I'm starting to get a little concerned about the fact that I have recieved nothing reading list wise from either the English or Classics Departments. Hmm. Time to contact them, I reckon.

Of course you wont have had your reading list...you've not got a place on the course yet!!

Plus, the uni like you to buy all your books once you get here so tend to discorage sending reading lists out pre freshers week.

Love Katy***
Reply 6
I've had a reading list and I haven'r had my place confirmed yet. (Okay I'm not going to Exeter and I'm reading Classics), but you get the point. Nottingham English students already have reading lists also.
Reply 7
At least you asked Coopiesugar, rather than just assuming everything was ok. Good attitude I say my girl!!
Reply 8
Somerset! Good stuff! Wiltshire here. I a friend of mine is hoping to study English as well, pending results day.
I had an offer to read English at Exeter. I chose Bristol in the end, but I was sorely tempted by Exeter. Gorgeous uni, and the department seemed really friendly.
I was browsing through clearing lists-the independent to be precise (rather smugly as I have had my offer confirmed) and I happened to stumble across the fact that Exeter had some clearing places for English. Does anyone else think that this is rather surprising seeing as English is a competitve course and Exter is in the ranked within the top 30 Universities.
Reply 11
It depends on the date. It may have been due to the fact that some people missed their offers and so they had to fill up.
CW Esq
It depends on the date. It may have been due to the fact that some people missed their offers and so they had to fill up.

This was on Saturday, and considering the offer was AAA surely they wouldn't find many people in clearing to equal that. Wouldn't it be better just to take people who put Exter first even if they slipped slightly. Most half decent unis don't have clearing spaces for really popular courses such as English (science is an exception)
Reply 13
Hello! I made this post ages ago, but have recently re-discovered it. Thank you for your replies! I won't be going to Exeter, but thought I'd come back and post anyway (sorry to intrude! Hope you have an excellent time). Isn't the AAA offer a fairly new criteria for Exeter? Some of the students I talked to had said that they were made AAB offers, however everyone I spoke to who applied this year was made an AAA offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending