The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sam_B
my stupid school dont offer geology :mad:

nor did mine sam :frown: my bf got to do ES though, its seems to be more colleges that do it :rolleyes:
Reply 21
i dont see why people dont want to do it any more, its brill!!
Sam_B
my stupid school dont offer geology :mad:

You really aren't alone there! Only about 2000 people get to study AS geology each year and when you think of how many people are in some colleges alone and the amount of people who go on to study AS/A2's that is a very small amount!

Lou
xxx
McBren
Yeah, really not looking forward to that at all! Got the GL2 mock tomorrow, should give me an idea of badly i'm gonna do :smile: How did you do in your GL3 exam in January?

I am sure you won't do as bad as you think you will! I didn't do GL3 in January, all of our exams are in the next two weeks for geology... we have GL1 and GL3 on the same day! Am strangely enough not too worried about those exams, it is this practical one which is getting to me! Good luck!

Lou

xxx
Reply 24
we should start some sort of geology discussion...

all u students with the knowledge could debate something.
Sam_B
we should start some sort of geology discussion...

all u students with the knowledge could debate something.

That was my plan and i was going to do something on sunday but i could bring it forward to now! I am not too sure of a specific topic but was wondering.....

Do you feel that Geologists are the ones who get the blame unfairly when there is a major earthquake or volcano?

I feel this is an interesting question personally, as many people don't have the understanding of being able to control/ not control such events and therefore geologists can get bad press and seem as though that they do nothing until after an event... what are other peoples views on this?

Lou
xxx
Reply 26
From my point of view the people to blame are governments. :smile:
bouncy
From my point of view the people to blame are governments. :smile:

Can you elaborate on that for me? Why do you feel the government are to blame? Does anyone feel that no one is to blame and that geological activities are just "one of those things" that can't be avoided? It is great to see different opinions so don't be afraid to voice yours!

Lou
xxx
Reply 28
well im assuming when you say they get the blame, im guessing its affected buildings/people/caused some form of damage? yeh?
Reply 29
You can't blame anyone for the natural disasters that occur. Some people are just ignorant and don't realise all the positive things geologists are doing to help improve warnings in prone countries. Everyone should be behind them instead of slating them at every given opportunity!
bouncy
well im assuming when you say they get the blame, im guessing its affected buildings/people/caused some form of damage? yeh?

That isn't what i meant entirely, sorry to have made it a shady area! Um lets use an example to give clarity here. The boxing day tsnuami.... 260,000 people died. Now some people feel that it is a geologists job to know when these events are going to happen and to save lives, so when they don't predict or "stop" them in time, geologists get the blame and bad press in the media. Do you feel this is fair? Do you think they should try harder to predict and manage events or do you feel they try their hardest anyway? Do you feel that the government play a large role in trying to predict and prevent geological events by investing money into research and prediction? Do you feel it is fair that they should get some blame when things go wrong? Is anyone to blame in any way for tsunamis or volcanic eruptions? Express your views!

Lou
xxx
McBren
You can't blame anyone for the natural disasters that occur. Some people are just ignorant and don't realise all the positive things geologists are doing to help improve warnings in prone countries. Everyone should be behind them instead of slating them at every given opportunity!

You share the same view as me! I also feel that geologists are not in the media enough until some disaster has happened, by which point it is too late and they therefore make an easy way for blame to be shifted as they want to hold someone responsible to some degree or another! I know some people feel that it is a geologists job to predict and control these events but does anyone feel that is fair pressure to apply upon someone?

Lou
xxx
Reply 32
I wish I could have done Geology :frown:
Strumpet
I wish I could have done Geology :frown:

It's such a shame so many people miss out on this oppourunity! Makes me and McBren feel lucky! Now for your loss Strumpet, how about joining the TSR Geology Society as a comisseration prize?

Lou
xxx
Hang on a minute, Ellie4 has changed her name!

Lou'
xxx
Reply 35
sparkly_tiara
That isn't what i meant entirely, sorry to have made it a shady area! Um lets use an example to give clarity here. The boxing day tsnuami.... 260,000 people died. Now some people feel that it is a geologists job to know when these events are going to happen and to save lives, so when they don't predict or "stop" them in time, geologists get the blame and bad press in the media. Do you feel this is fair?

No, this isnt fair, there are no/very few accurate tecniques to predict such events so its unfair to blame geologists for something they can do very little about.

The boxing day tsunami is unique, what failed it was communication. There was no way of predicting when an earthquake would occur, but the occurance of such events was know. When it comes to the tsunami, there was a massive failing, people knew it was coming but failed to tell areas that were affected beforehand. Although saying that the problem then lies in actually telling the people, lack of radio/tv etc.

Its not just a geologists job to save lives, its a whole range of people who all need to communicate with each other effectivly.

sparkly_tiara
Do you think they should try harder to predict and manage events or do you feel they try their hardest anyway?

I think that there should be more funding for the equipment needed to monitor areas in the poorer regions of the world. Its normally the poorer people that are effected the most, no insurance etc

Once again the management is down to various stakeholders, government, NGOs, scientists, WB, IMF, UN etc

sparkly_tiara
Do you feel that the government play a large role in trying to predict and prevent geological events by investing money into research and prediction?

As i said above! if money was effectively invested into planning, preparing, infrastructure and education then more lives would be saved.

sparkly_tiara
Is anyone to blame in any way for tsunamis or volcanic eruptions?

As natural events of course no one is to blame, but for the knock on effects yes i believe people are to blame for making them worse

phew i think that makes sense! not sure :redface:
Reply 36
More funding definately needs to be put into the research of these disasters but because these are not seen as 'everyday' issues, it inevitably gets put at the bottom of the pile. You'd think after the Dec 26th earthquake with 260,000 people losing their lives, more would be done but it seems this is not the case :frown:
Reply 37
sparkly_tiara
Hang on a minute, Ellie4 has changed her name!

Lou'
xxx

Ha ha! I certainly have! :biggrin: Not permenantly though, I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon! How do I join? :smile:
Reply 38
McBren
More funding definately needs to be put into the research of these disasters but because these are not seen as 'everyday' issues, it inevitably gets put at the bottom of the pile. You'd think after the Dec 26th earthquake with 260,000 people losing their lives, more would be done but it seems this is not the case :frown:

More would be done by who though?
bouncy
No, this isnt fair, there are no/very few accurate tecniques to predict such events so its unfair to blame geologists for something they can do very little about.

The boxing day tsunami is unique, what failed it was communication. There was no way of predicting when an earthquake would occur, but the occurance of such events was know. When it comes to the tsunami, there was a massive failing, people knew it was coming but failed to tell areas that were affected beforehand. Although saying that the problem then lies in actually telling the people, lack of radio/tv etc.

Its not just a geologists job to save lives, its a whole range of people who all need to communicate with each other effectivly.

I think that there should be more funding for the equipment needed to monitor areas in the poorer regions of the world. Its normally the poorer people that are effected the most, no insurance etc

Once again the management is down to various stakeholders, government, NGOs, scientists, WB, IMF, UN etc

As i said above! if money was effectively invested into planning, preparing, infrastructure and education then more lives would be saved.

As nature events of course no one is to blame, but for the knock on effects yes i believe people are to blame for making them worse

phew i think that makes sense! not sure :redface:

FANTASTICALLY ANSWERED! Those were the sort of things i was hoping to see! I feel that education and communication are two of the most vital keys in helping to reduce the effect that natural events have! Anyone have any ideas that differ from this?

Lou
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest