The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
So what did everyone get in Geology then? I got a B in GL1 and an A in GL3 but as i thought only got a D in GL2. Got a C overall missing a B by 3 marks. Hopefully the retake will go better second time round =)
Reply 101
Hello, studied geology a level and am doing geology this year in manchester
In my As i did rubbish in the GL3 and we resat in january and i only got 3 points higher, was so gutted, I also got a C in As. So I still had a C, but in A2 I knew so much more than the year before and did fine in it and I also resat the GL1+2 and got much higher marks and ended up with a B overall (5 points off the A, that smelly GL3 brought me down).
So for your resits make sure with your teacher that you can resit in July, everything makes so much more sense!
Reply 102
Yeah we were told GL2 will make much more sense if we retake in july next year. I'm still kinda considerin Manchester. What did u need to get in?
Reply 103
you needed BBC i think, but i know they're putting the grades up, so check with ucas or the manchester site, if it has gone up don't worry just make your personal statement sound amazing like geology is your life, because i did 1 science and 2 art subjects, where as most people do 2 or 3 science subjects.
Hello all! Sorry for the lack of updating (again!) but holidays and late nights have been thoroughly enjoyed this summer! Anyway, back to the grindstone of college work and university forms!

Burned_Out_58- i will add you to the members list asap!

McBren, i've just gone through The Times Good University Guide for 2006 entry for you. If you are wishing to study geology at Manchester then the grade point average currently stands at around three hundred. On the UCAS website it states an entry requirement of grades ABC. Another thing to bear in mind is that the university is ranked 17th out of all uni's offering BSc Geology three year Degree! (if you want to know more about league positions then just give us a post!)

Lou
xxx
Please can i join the geology society?? :smile:

Also is it by joining societies that you get those icons on your posts? next to the flag etc.

So what did everyone get in Geology then? I got a B in GL1 and an A in GL3 but as i thought only got a D in GL2. Got a C overall missing a B by 3 marks. Hopefully the retake will go better second time round =)

I got an A in the a-level overall, so was very pleased. Especially with 118/120 in GL6. Yikes! It was a bit weird because we'd learnt so much about the history of britain, all the oragenies(sp..) , months and months on it. And then 90% of the exam was about stupid sediments and barely anything at all on geological history. i'm not really complaining but its a bit annoying when the stuff you revise is barely tested at all.
Reply 106
Hello, i'm Claire.

I'm just about to start a Geology degree at Southampton Uni in October (very excited). I have never done geology before, but i've done geography and really enjoyed it. I think the reason I chose Geology was more because I wanted to do something related to my geography A level course, but without the human aspect and more about the earth and climate than the people who inhabit it. I am hoping I have chosen the right course (having never done it before and not knowing a huge amount about it, im slightly concerned that it wont be about what i think its about). Obviously its about rocks, but im hoping its also about volcanoes, earthquakes, long term climatic change both in the future and the past, the changing shape of the continents, and what is going on at the poles, (im really interested in the ice cores and polar modules we did at A level) our course is fairly flexible, so I have taken geography modules as my options instead of biology or oceanogaphy options.

Please someone tell me that its interesting and what kind of stuff you get taught at degree level?
havn't done any degree in it, but i can say i did a-level geology for the same reasons as you. I.e i liked the physical side of geography.

My favourite bits were volcanoes, plate-tectonics, all that sort of stuff. I least liked spending ages describing different crystal structures, measuring "cleavage planes" etc. But i think i'm right in saying its impossible to begin to understand the processes deep within the earth without understanding the material (rock), your dealing with :smile:

So geology does involve alot of looking at rocks, because rocks can provide evidence for past climate. (which your interested in)

Somebody who has done a geology degree will be able to offer a few more facts, i'm just telling you my experiance of the a-level. :smile:
clairey_p
Hello, i'm Claire.

I'm just about to start a Geology degree at Southampton Uni in October (very excited). I have never done geology before, but i've done geography and really enjoyed it. I think the reason I chose Geology was more because I wanted to do something related to my geography A level course, but without the human aspect and more about the earth and climate than the people who inhabit it. I am hoping I have chosen the right course (having never done it before and not knowing a huge amount about it, im slightly concerned that it wont be about what i think its about). Obviously its about rocks, but im hoping its also about volcanoes, earthquakes, long term climatic change both in the future and the past, the changing shape of the continents, and what is going on at the poles, (im really interested in the ice cores and polar modules we did at A level) our course is fairly flexible, so I have taken geography modules as my options instead of biology or oceanogaphy options.

Please someone tell me that its interesting and what kind of stuff you get taught at degree level?

Hey!

Firstly, congratulations at getting a place for Geology at Southampton Uni! I had a look around there a few months ago and the geology department was out of this world! You really should love it!
Secondly, although geology and geography have a lot of overlaps they do have their differences. My geology teacher always says "if rocks don't interest you, then don't do geology!". However i am sure this isn't the case with you!
You mentioned some of the themes you hope to arise in your geology degree.. although i am not yet a degree student i can promise you that all of those themes arise in A2 geology! I have looked at uni courses and spoken to teachers and i am on the understanding that the majority of interests you have listed will be covered which is good news! Also with degree study, you have more of an input into what you wish to study in a manner of speaking so there is a good chance you may be able to branch into a field of geology that interests you more as a substantial part of your study!
Finally, i really hope you enjoy geology! You seem to have picked it for all the right reasons and i wish you all the success possible with your studies! Let us know how you are getting on okay? And in the meantime, i will add you to the society!

Lou
xxx
clairey_p
Hello, i'm Claire.

Congratulations on getting into Southampton.

I'm an Earth Sciences (i.e. almost Geology) graduate, and now I'm a PhD student studying earthquakes so I should be able to tell you a bit about degree life....

Rox - depends on which uni you're at as to how much time you spend looking at rocks. I really don't know about the specifics of Southampton as I don't know anyone who went/is there. There are basically 2 types of 'Geology' degree, the old fashioned one where rocks are central to it and the more modern types where geophysics and geochemistry are more important. The traditional degree is concerned more with what happened in the past (hence rocks) whereas the more modern ones are more concerned with present day stuff. Obviously there's overlap (e.g. applying modern chemical isotope analysis to fossils to discover the temperature of ancient oceans) and there's a famous quote that "understanding the past is the key to understanding the present". From what you've said it seems you're more interested in "Geosciences" rather than traditional Geology although you may discover you have an obsession with subdividing sandstones into 4,000 categories based on statistical analysis of grain size, roundness and sorting. I would guess that seeing as there's the Oceanography centre at Southampton the department would be pretty strong on things to do with Ocean circulation and so on. Apart from that it really depends on who they've got as to what courses they'll teach. There'll certainly be something on volcanoes and something on earthquakes although these might not be at a very high level. I'm sure they'll do stuff on ocean circulation and probably some paleo-climatology thrown in as well, and I'd guess that would be cutting edge. Not sure on polar stuff - depends if they have any staff interested in it. Might be an idea to look at their website they may have some course info on there somewhere.
Oh oh oh pick me pick me! can i join please? i love geology, just started my A2 course, got an A at As level and hopefully going to follow it up with another A at A-level and if all goes well Leeds Geological Sciences is looking like a big possibility for a degree course! Do i qualify to be a member? :p:
.:fluff:.
Oh oh oh pick me pick me! can i join please? i love geology, just started my A2 course, got an A at As level and hopefully going to follow it up with another A at A-level and if all goes well Leeds Geological Sciences is looking like a big possibility for a degree course! Do i qualify to be a member? :p:

Yep, you are more than welcome to join! Congratulations on the A grade! What exam board were you under? Geological sciences degree... sounds fun! How does it differ from the geology degree? How does the content vary, do you know? Im curious now!

Lou
xxx
well thank you for welcoming me into the group.

As far as i can tell there isnt much difference. I used the Time online university league tables to try and find a really reputable university to do geology at and i think leeds was 7th, although i'm not 100% sure.

Leeds Geological Sciences

Or maybe i just havn't looked into it enough! :rolleyes: Im doing the OCR board, i didn't even realise that the WJEC board did a geology course, with geology not being as popular. oh well you learn something new everyday!
.:fluff:.
well thank you for welcoming me into the group.

As far as i can tell there isnt much difference. I used the Time online university league tables to try and find a really reputable university to do geology at and i think leeds was 7th, although i'm not 100% sure.

Leeds Geological Sciences

Or maybe i just havn't looked into it enough! :rolleyes: Im doing the OCR board, i didn't even realise that the WJEC board did a geology course, with geology not being as popular. oh well you learn something new everyday!

To be honest, i wish i wasn't doing it with the WJEC board! Apparantley the OCR specification covers things which are more fundamental to basic understanding of geology but never mind!

I actually brought the Times University Guide for 2006 and can tell you that Leeds Uni stands in at 7th Place, like you said! Cambridge is in first place (unsuprisingly!) but with a point average of 542 needed, i think i can count that one out of the equation!

Lou
xxx
Reply 114
Yeah, but the problem with Cambridge is that if you know you want to be a geologist at 17 (try 7 for me) you're going to be pretty frustated not being able to focus on it until you're 20. I reckon the best choices are Oxford, Imperial and Leeds. Especially Imperial and Leeds if you want to go and find some crude oil. I could be wrong about Leeds but I seem to remember something about it being good for exploration careers.
To be honest, i wish i wasn't doing it with the WJEC board! Apparantley the OCR specification covers things which are more fundamental to basic understanding of geology but never mind!

I actually brought the Times University Guide for 2006 and can tell you that Leeds Uni stands in at 7th Place, like you said! Cambridge is in first place (unsuprisingly!) but with a point average of 542 needed, i think i can count that one out of the equation!

Lou
xxx

i don't know much about the WJEC board, up until about a week ago i only thought it was OCR who did it. We do cover a wide variety of topics, the topic on plate tectonics and natural disasters was very in depth, i learnt ALOT about that!

Yeah i kinda counted Cambridge out of the equation too! Leeds is supposed to be a really good uni to do geology at AND you don't have to be super-human to get in :wink:
wjec represent
Reply 117
Does anyone have any ideas for a good coursework project?
McBren
Does anyone have any ideas for a good coursework project?

Its a bit of a broad question! Do you have to do some study in the field? Does it have to cover a certain aspect of geology, such as sedimentary deposits in the quaternary period (thats what my coursework is on i think!)? Is there a word limit? More information would prove helpful!

Lou
xxx
Reply 119
All we've been told is, we have to do 2 pieces of coursework, 1 field and 1 lab based. We can do anything as long as its feasable and the equipment is available. It is indeed very broad. Just wondering if any past geology students know of any solid topics that have the potential to get good marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending