The Student Room Group

The TSR Geology Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Trust me to go off mapping and miss this...
The best person to ask considering topics for coursework would indeed be your teacher...although, i remember doing something on the grain size composition of sands for my piece which was thoroughly boring (although we didn't really have the lab equipment to justify much more...), and then theres some stat analyses you can add to that, relating to depositional environment blah blah
sedimentology is deadly dull afterall!

My personal passion is volcanoes, so am hoping to progress to a phd in this afterwards...
Hi! Thought i'd better say hello! I'm a third year Geology student at Royal Holloway (thats part of the uni of London) BUT i'm studying for this year only out in Canada at the University of Alberta, Edmonton.

Afraid I'm a bit of a geology geek....(to the embarrrassment of my non-geologist friends LOL) but I love it! Definatly looking like i'm going to end up going either oil stuff or maybe Precambrian research (just can't decide!). Good luck too all those just starting out at Uni's...you're proberly into the swing of things now but i hope you enjoy it! And please sign me up for the geol. society!!
Anna
Hey Anna!

Will definately add you to the society! Are you doing Bsc geology or Mgeol? You sound like you are having a fab time on the course, i hope to do a lot of field study at uni! So what are you studying in Canada then? Im only an A level student but we have just finished a module on palaeoecology and we looked at burgess shale and the significance of this in fossil preservation, and i understood that it was found in the rockies in canada! Bet that would be of interest, with your personal enjoyment of pre-cambrian geology!

Lou
xxx
sparkly_tiara
Hey Anna!

Will definately add you to the society! Are you doing Bsc geology or Mgeol? You sound like you are having a fab time on the course, i hope to do a lot of field study at uni! So what are you studying in Canada then? Im only an A level student but we have just finished a module on palaeoecology and we looked at burgess shale and the significance of this in fossil preservation, and i understood that it was found in the rockies in canada! Bet that would be of interest, with your personal enjoyment of pre-cambrian geology!

Lou
xxx

I'm doing a Msci Geoscience (to be strictly corrrect :biggrin: ) I'm just on exchange out here for a year so I am studying geology - but just in Canada. Its fab because it means I get to study under some of the world's leaders in my interest!!

Burgess Shale is of quite an influenece over here, more particulalry as I do a Palaeobiology course alongside all the rest but even in Canada everyone seems to focus more on the Chengjang Fauna in China these days.

Field study is definate at University it seems. I've been on days trips (to Oxford!), weekends (alot in Devon and Corrnwall way), week long ones (Pembrokeshire), two week ones (that was Spain) and I spent 6 weeks of the summer mapping part of the Isle of Skye (although others went to france and spain instead of Skye then!). If I'd stayed at RHUL for my 3rd year I would have been to teneife too BUT it's ok because the 3rd year volcanology course takes us to Hawaii it seems!

PhD looks definatly on the cards unless Shell/BP beckons my way but just trying to blag some work experience off them is proving hard!!!
Anna
Reply 124
McBren
Yeah im really lucky to have had the choice of subjects i did. I don't know many places that offer Geology or Environmental Science as A Levels.

only 10% offer environmental sciece... we are VERY lucky
Reply 125
ouch. The 'P' word...
Reply 126
riccardo
ouch. The 'P' word...

I know! i'm torn over that myself at the moment...
either leave at the end of this year and chance a p spot or wait and see if my department picks up an ig pet/volcanologist guy from interviews - could be a close call...
Reply 127
Didn't do A level geology... Imperial College, in their wisdom, make me do a paleontology course to prepare me for my geophysics degree.
Reply 128
well...you've gotta know what a rock looks like...or...something!
I did, but i still have to do it - although, i wish i could just get down to the volcanology.
Reply 129
Guys, I am doing a MSci in geophysics and I'd like to work as an exploration geophysicist. I'm wondering if I should switch to BSc geology (can't do BSc geophysics here) and then taking a MSc elsewhere in geophysics. Which is a better route?
Reply 130
I would stick with what your doing - an MSci may not be as highly regarded as taking a seperate MSc, but it will still be worthwhile, and also (I assume) you have that fully funded, and you are more likely to get funding for a research project on the back of having already completed one :smile:
Also, you're at imperial, right, which is the best place in the country for Exploration Geophysics - so stick with it.
yeah I would say stick with it too especially if you have to change from an Msci Geophysics to an Bsc Geology and you want to do geophys. It is worth it in the end and its regarded as an intermediate stage between Bsc and Masters really
Hey!

Have just got back from a super geology fieldtrip with my fellow A level students! We spent four days in the bay of Naples, Italy and explored Mount Vesuvius, Phlegraean Fields, Solfatara, Pompeii and Herculaneum and it really was a fantastic trip (despite being on crutches!) I have got some really good photos that i thought some of you would like to have a look at, so i shall upload some of them now!

Im guessing an explanation of the photographs would be useful too! :biggrin:

Photograph 1: The view out of our hotel room! You can see the limestone cliffs in the background and the caves with the sea make it a really nice pic i think!

Photograph 2: Neapolitan Yellow Tuff! This type of volcanic rock (tuff) was erupted during the 79AD eruption of Vesuvius and is the only place in the world where deposits of this size, nature and colour will ever be found!

Photograph 3: Mount Vesuvius lurking in the distance! N.B, its a cloud above it, not smoke!

Photograph 4: Active fumeroles in the crater of Mount Vesuvius, expelling H20 and CO2 principally.

Photograph 5: "plaster cast bodies" preserved in the moment Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79AD

Hope these were of some interest!

Lou
xxx
--------------
Um okay, i don't quite know where those photos went! Will sort it out very soon, but have college now! Apologies!

Lou
xxx
Reply 133
Thanks bixerx and anna, I think that sounds like fairly good advice. I'm just really not all that sure about anything, I want to get to my goals in the shortest stretch of time too.

I look forward to these pictures, I wish I had just been.
Hey all!

I am hoping there is a hotspot expert or fanatic here..... anyone? Hehe, anyway for a piece of A2 homework i am identifying the hotspots around the world and the causes of them. Using various sources, i have noticed a bunch of hotspots on the western side of the world, pretty much to the west of South America (so in the pacific ocean!). I was wondering if anyone knew the names of any of these hotspots.... i have done the obvious ones around the world such as hawaii, iceland, yellowstone etc but am struggling to find the names of this cluster. All answers welcome!

Lou
xxx
Reply 135
Hey Lou...
This site should provide you with all the data you need.etc., and you could also pick up some diagrams that other students would not have found. If theres anything else, feel free to ask :smile:
http://www.mantleplumes.org/
Toby x
bikerx23
Hey Lou...
This site should provide you with all the data you need.etc., and you could also pick up some diagrams that other students would not have found. If theres anything else, feel free to ask :smile:
http://www.mantleplumes.org/
Toby x

Great website! Will be bookmarking that one, thank you! However, i still need to ask.... i can't find the names of the hotspots in the pacific at all! There are five on my map, but i really want to know the names, e.g there is a hotspot in africa called the Chad hotspot because of its location, but i dont know about the ones in the pacific! It isn't essential i know, but i would rather know!

Lou
xxx

Thanks again! :smile:
Hey everyone!

Firstly, i have done that homework piece on hotspots so thanks for your help! Secondly, i need to convert the files that the Italy photos are saved as, because currently they exceed the upload limit on here!

Thirdly, the main thing i was wondering was has anyone recieved any offers to study geology or something similar at university in 2006? Looking at UCAS track and letters i have received, i have been offered places at Plymouth and Cardiff... Southampton have written to me saying they intend to offer me a place too and Keele have asked me to pick another subject to read alongside geology which sounds promising! What about everyone else?

Lou
xxx
Reply 138
Sounds promising - southampton was my second choice for uni and it looked like a really good set up, especially if your into your oceanograpy...
Cardiff is really good too - especially the museum (although, I didn't apply there since its only half an hour from home...)
The keele thing sounds bizarre to me though - did you request a joint honours degree, or...? And, what are you planning on choosing! (not geography - you know how crap population is! :biggrin:)
bikerx23
Sounds promising - southampton was my second choice for uni and it looked like a really good set up, especially if your into your oceanograpy...
Cardiff is really good too - especially the museum (although, I didn't apply there since its only half an hour from home...)
The keele thing sounds bizarre to me though - did you request a joint honours degree, or...? And, what are you planning on choosing! (not geography - you know how crap population is! :biggrin:)

I am not quite sure about Keele, i just received a letter saying that everyone who is studying geology has to study another subject alongside it for two years and they recommended neuroscience or astrophysics to me! I am most pleased with my solid offers from cardiff and plymouth though, and will be much happier when southampton have actually offered me the place instead of saying "they intend to offer me a place on their degree programme!"

Lou
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest