The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
the_fredster_001
this would mean jacking off was killing as well - as you know the sperm are never gonna fertilise anything...

Yes, and many Christians do see masturbation as wrong because of this, Mormons especially.
Reply 61
First off, I want to know how it is Christian Terrorism? Who said that the shooter was a Christian?
shrep
Christianity: 1 ± Ireland

Certain other religion: over 9000

ATHEISM: 0

What exactly is this meant to mean? Atheists have never killed anyone before?
Dan_92
First off, I want to know how it is Christian Terrorism? Who said that the shooter was a Christian?

Also - how do we know that the doctor was shot because he performed abortions? Could it not have been for some other reason?
Dan_92

The previous attacks against the doctor and the majority of clinics in the US have been carried out by the fundamentalist Christian group Army of God which is on the FBI's domestic terrorism list.
Reply 65
tazarooni89
What exactly is this meant to mean? Atheists have never killed anyone before?

Not in the name of atheism.
Reply 66
SJames
Welcome to the terroristic states of America.

Where the only difference between the christian fundamentalists and the Moslem fundamentalists are their version of God.

3000 gay kids are driven to suicide every year here because of the sick uknowwhat propagated as religion. And thousands more are bashed an murdered on the streets. Words of hatred do kill.

All in the name of God.

All in the name of BS statistics that you've just made up more like.

In 2004, of every 100,000 young people in each age group, the following number died by suicide:

Children ages 10 to 14 — 1.3 per 100,000
Adolescents ages 15 to 19 — 8.2 per 100,000

Now there are 20.054 million children ages 10-14 in the US so that's 261suicides a year in this age group. And there are 21.514 million children ages 15-19 in the US so that's 1764 suicides a year in that age group. So, if the TOTAL number of child suicides is only 2025 HTF do you manage to state that there are 3000 gay child suicides a year?

In fact, if there are a total of 2025 child suicides a year and about 4% of the population is gay then there must be about 81 gay child suicides each year. However, acknowledging that homosexual youths are 50% more likely to commit suicide than heterosexuals we can say there are roughly 121 gay child suicides a year in the US.

So, your 3000 is pure fantasy and has been inflated about 24 times.

Please don't pull any more statistics out of your anus.
Reply 67
I'm not 100% convinced it's terrorism. The guys been doing the job for decades and he'd been shot before. In any situation one man may take it upon himself to kill someone. I might kill my neighbour for playing his music to loud if i felt strongly about it. There is evidence to support a claim that it was an act which could possibly be regarded as a terrorist act, however, it's not as clear cut in my opinion as blowing yourself up in a public place with no aim other than to harm innocent life.

The guy who shot the gun may be mentally ill for all we knew. Also, i'm sure some other faiths will regard it as terrorism and western papers will not. I dont think, if it is terrorism, that it's anywhere near the scale we usually associate such acts with and therefore it makes the term terrorism quite a trivial word.

If it is fundermentalists that are aiming to kill people and not just stand for what they believe and protest then fair enough though.

(my thoughts)

:pinch:
A great number of horrible, horrible acts have been committed in the name of religion- whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish etc.

Groups will always aflliate themselves with mainstream religion. It's probably an effective way of making their actions acceptable in their own mind, or dropping the responsibility for their actions.

Whether the person who killed this doctor claims to be a Christian or not is somewhat irrelevant. I don't feel Christianity is to blame here- but rather offshoots from it that have become about what people consider to be right in their own eyes.

Somewhere within that broad spectrum from rather misguided and anger-filled fundamentalists to those who would see people walk into hell just for the sake of 'unity of religions on earth' lies authentic, life-giving and God-centred Christianity.

As for the matter of abortion:

I don't think abortion is ever a solution to an unwanted pregnancy. It simply exchanges one difficult situation for another.

However, my focus isn't really on whether abortions should be carried out or not. As many pro-choice campaigners will rightly point out- when it's illegal it becomes a dangerous, back-alley affair. Being free on the NHS though, is definitely not something I would encourage. Subsidised, maybe. But not free of charge.

Personally, I'm all for a monogamous marriage, but I realise that not everyone agrees with me!

But if you're going to have sex- for goodness' sake be honest and open about it.

P.S. I love you, Howard. :biggrin: That post was just... Beautiful.
Throne
Not in the name of atheism.

What do you mean by "in the name of atheism?"

If you've murdered someone, you've murdered someone. The religion (or lack of it) doesn't do the murdering for you.
Cardozo
I'm not 100% convinced it's terrorism. The guys been doing the job for decades and he'd been shot before. In any situation one man may take it upon himself to kill someone. I might kill my neighbour for playing his music to loud if i felt strongly about it. There is evidence to support a claim that it was an act which could possibly be regarded as a terrorist act, however, it's not as clear cut in my opinion as blowing yourself up in a public place with no aim other than to harm innocent life.

The guy who shot the gun may be mentally ill for all we knew. Also, i'm sure some other faiths will regard it as terrorism and western papers will not. I dont think, if it is terrorism, that it's anywhere near the scale we usually associate such acts with and therefore it makes the term terrorism quite a trivial word.

If it is fundermentalists that are aiming to kill people and not just stand for what they believe and protest then fair enough though.

(my thoughts)

:pinch:

The word terrorism is used because the group Army of God was responsible for all of the previous attacks against the doctor, including a previous shooting undertaken by Shelly Shannon. It's a fundamentalist Christian group that aims to prevent abortion through force of violence and has carried out numerous arson attacks against clinics and even went so far as sparking an anthrax alert when it claimed to have infected over 200 abortion clinics across America. It's members have been listed on the FBI's most wanted list and it is officially designated a domestic terrorism group.
Reply 71
tazarooni89
Also - how do we know that the doctor was shot because he performed abortions? Could it not have been for some other reason?
It's hardly a great leap of faith to suggest that the assassination of a controversial 67-year old doctor in a church was most probably a result of his controversial actions, not because he had a dispute with his neighbour who then decided to plan an assassination. Regardless, we now know that the arrested suspect has some connections with Christian anti-abortion groups, confirming the initial suspicion.
Reply 72
tazarooni89
What do you mean by "in the name of atheism?"

If you've murdered someone, you've murdered someone. The religion (or lack of it) doesn't do the murdering for you.

The religion doesn't physically do the murdering but it incites people e.g. the 19 Muslim terrorists who carried out the mass murderers in the United States on September 11th 2001 were inspired by Islam; those who lynched hundreds of black people in the United States during the twentieth century were inspired by racist ideology; etc.
Technically the doctor was a Christian also... He was attending church when he got shot remember
Throne
The religion doesn't physically do the murdering but it incites people e.g. the 19 Muslim terrorists who carried out the mass murderers in the United States on September 11th 2001 were inspired by Islam; those who lynched hundreds of black people in the United States during the twentieth century were inspired by racist ideology; etc.

How do you know that it was their religion which incited them to do it? It seems more likely to have been something political.

How can a religion which prohibits murder incite people to go and murder?
Reply 75
It's not terrorism, it wasn't even a murder - they were simply preventing that filth from killing more babies.
Selkarn
It's not terrorism, it wasn't even a murder - they were simply preventing that filth from killing more babies.

By all definitions legal and otherwise it was murder, and the person that committed it is looking at life in prison and good riddance too. You don't change laws by murdering people, if they don't like the current abortion laws they should take it up with the government who makes them.
Reply 77
"Under Kansas state law, abortions later in pregnancy are legal only if two independent physicians agree that the mother could suffer irreparable harm by giving birth."

this doctor performed abortions on women that probably would've died if they didn't get the abortion. How is it then murder? Isn't the woman's life way more important than a baby that does not exist?
Reply 78
tazarooni89
How do you know that it was their religion which incited them to do it? It seems more likely to have been something political.

The video recordings of the four men who carried out the 7/7 attacks on central London clearly demonstrate that they were motivated by religion. For example, Mohammad Sidique Khan referred to the Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan as 'my people', he claimed that he was in a 'jihad' and that he was going to be rewarded in the 'afterlife'.

tazarooni89
How can a religion which prohibits murder incite people to go and murder?

Firstly, you don't have a monopoly on the interpretation of Islam.

Secondly, I think most people in the civilized world would regard a religion which demands the murdering of adults who have consensual sex in private as one that does not prohibit murder.
Reply 79
synvilla
"Under Kansas state law, abortions later in pregnancy are legal only if two independent physicians agree that the mother could suffer irreparable harm by giving birth."

this doctor performed abortions on women that probably would've died if they didn't get the abortion. How is it then murder? Isn't the woman's life way more important than a baby that does not exist?

Exactly. And most religions say the lesser of two evils is to terminate.

Latest

Trending

Trending