The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I think doctor who landed on the plane and it went through a rift in time and space and ended up sumwhere else lol !

Seriously really sad ... :frown:
Reply 161
:eek3: says to have sunk thousands of feet omg omg omg:cry:
:cry:
oh.....i'm surprised this could happen in 2009??? i mean with all the advancements...
but i'm sure they'll all be out safe n in no time (very optimistic of me huh??)
Reply 163
Charles widmore. Bad man.
Phugoid
Modern airbus aircraft are designed to be unstable in the sky. They use fly-by-wire, in other words, the extremely fast reaction times of the onboard computers make small and fast adjustments constantly to keep the plane in the sky.

A total electrical failure would leave the pilots with a completely unstable aircraft, it would not be possible to have a safe landing.

With that said, the fly-by-wire systems are often quadruplexed so that you can have 3 failures, and still have 1 fully operational channel. The chance of total failure is so low, I can't imagine that was the cause.

I'm never going on a plane again ever
The French have all but lost hope for their plane, the last hope they had was that the Moroccan air traffic control confirming any sort of contact with the aircraft as it was due to fly over their airspace. The moroccans have said there has not been any contact whatsoever, looks like a tradgedy has taken place.
Has anybody else read or seen 'The Langoliers'?
Reply 167
Its most probable that they have all died, its sad yes, but thats what happens unfortunately. The computer system itself sent the message regarding the electrical systems, not the Pilot. However as someone else has posted these planes have multiple channels for their avionics, so if there is a failure, then the plane can still fly.

However by this time the plane will have ran out of fuel so it has went down somewhere, they are unlikely to be found alive. This theory also negates the possibility that the plane experienced critical faliures and went down there and then. But overall they most likely wont be alive if they are found. Its really unfortunate.
CheesyBeans
Has anybody else read or seen 'The Langoliers'?

Is that where everyone on the plane disappears except the passengers who are asleep, and they go through a weird rift and end up in an empty airport which gets eaten by big pac-man type monsters?

If so yes.
I wonder if they're all floating in the sea right now?

If they are, they'd better hope one of them has a (dry) satellite phone. If they do, they should be alright.

If there are any survivors from this incident, I'm going to be so happy.
Student2806
Oh yes, let's make jokes about 228 people who we don't know being missing in the Atlantic Ocean for the best part of 12 hours :rolleyes:
Some people are beyond belief.

That's really not what I meant, I specificly said at the start of my post I do not approve of the tasteless humour.

What I am saying is there is no point in being so serious and grim about the subject, you can have a light hearted discussion without causing disrespect of becoming depressed just by reading through the thread.

There is a medium between being grim and taking a joke to far but the fact remains, it makes no difference to the people whether you joke or whether you take it very seriously, they are dead and no amount of respect will change that, so why not inject a small amount of humour. Since neither make a difference, why not choose the happier more jovial approach?
wanna know something weird too, as sad as that is..the last living survivor of the titanic died yesterday, and that sunk in the atlantic and wasn't found till the 1980s...
Reply 172
R92
Its most probable that they have all died, its sad yes, but thats what happens unfortunately. The computer system itself sent the message regarding the electrical systems, not the Pilot. However as someone else has posted these planes have multiple channels for their avionics, so if there is a failure, then the plane can still fly.

However by this time the plane will have ran out of fuel so it has went down somewhere, they are unlikely to be found alive. This theory also negates the possibility that the plane experienced critical faliures and went down there and then. But overall they most likely wont be alive if they are found. Its really unfortunate.

:sad:
god.
Reply 173
You know what makes a thread about a tragic news story better. Jokes. Especially on the French surrendering, Barry Scott (???), and a TV show.

Some people are idiots :facepalm2:
i hate hearing about thing like this :frown:. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and never say never. Miracles do happen. My dad was on this very same flight path with air france just a year ago, so i count myslef lucky, i don't see the point in saying negative things before the true facts come out. i really dont.
I sincerely hope they return or are found safely. :smile:
Reply 176
Many planes, subs and large vessels go missing without a trace. Gone and never found. We know more about the Moon and Mars than we do about our oceans and how they affect the atmosphere above them.
Meus
Many planes, subs and large vessels go missing without a trace. Gone and never found. We know more about the Moon and Mars than we do about our oceans and how they affect the atmosphere above them.

Who knows what lives in the deepest, darkest trenches of the sea...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bloop
Reply 178
mazza558
I wonder if they're all floating in the sea right now?

If they are, they'd better hope one of them has a (dry) satellite phone. If they do, they should be alright.

If there are any survivors from this incident, I'm going to be so happy.

Thank God I always pack a waterproof satellite phone in my trousers in case my plane crashes......

:o:
Reply 179
Meus

This.

Its a very sobering thought, all those billions upon billions of gallons of water. All the possibilities, and just how frightening it can be.

Latest

Trending

Trending