The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone get for the vulture previous population?
Xerophelistica
LearningMath, up there you said the emphysema question was nothing to do with nicotine - but surely nicotine paralyses the cillia, meaning the mucus and tar don't get shifted out of the lungs, which causes the problem in the first place?

I only ask because that's similar to what I wrote :smile:

:smile: Tar paralyses cilia not nicotine i believe. I forgot to pick up the paper today so ill grab one tomorrow and post it so we can go through it like jan. Someone else might post a copy though! :biggrin:
Reply 62
I got 133,333.33333 for the vulture population, rounded it to 133,333.
Reply 63
Xerophelistica
I was waiting for this thread to get made :P

I hope everyone remembered that the place where Plasmodium reproduces is in the Liver? When I did that question I got a feeling some people would put Blood.

Overall, a good paper though :smile: Hopefully got I got an A. Only one more exam (Chemistry) to go now!
Wikipedia says that plasmodium enters the body and invades hepatocytes where they mature and divide, and are then released. They then invade erythrocytes where they grow once more and divide, feeding off the haemoglobin, and release more to invade more red blood cells.

Realistically I think if you put erythrocyte or hepatocyte you'd get the mark- I put erythrocyte myself. I don't think you'd get it for 'blood' or 'liver', because the question did say 'a cell' rather than 'the cell'.
Reply 64
i wondered if it was red blood cells or liver cells but it didnt say name 'the cell' so i think im ok :smile:.
i messed up on why u couldnt find a vaccine for malaria, just put that it mutates, was worth 3 :frown:
put discontinuous variation as there were no inbetween idk how u could get 3 marks for explaining it tho

didnt have a calculator for the population question but got 133,334?
on the emphysema i put cigarette smoke contains elastase lol

overall i think ive got the mod1 qs right as we spent like 4 months doing it, most of the mod2 and 3 ones wrong...

NVM! :smile:
Reply 65
Let's try making an unofficial markscheme?

Q1)
-antiparralel, double helix, phosphate-sugar.
-data in table, no. of a+t is similar, no. of g+c are similar, no of a and t decrease going down the group.
-helps scientists to understand base pairing etccc
-DNA 2 strands, has thymine, deoxyribose. RNA: 1 strand, has uracil, ribose sugar.

I've got to eat... hopefully this'll be added to by others?
Wakeke
I got 133,333.33333 for the vulture population, rounded it to 133,333.

Same, loads of my mates thought it looked odd though so overlooked it and came up with a load of other answers!
Reply 67
Guts what did u put for the breeding one????

I put u pick the ones with the most flowers on it and which shows the most resisitance and breed those together..then breed offspring nd so on
LearningMath
:smile: Tar paralyses cilia not nicotine i believe. I forgot to pick up the paper today so ill grab one tomorrow and post it so we can go through it like jan. Someone else might post a copy though! :biggrin:

Damn you're right.. Thanks.
Reply 69
I hated the malaria vaccination question and the alveoli question which was like arghhhhhhh! It went ok not bad but not amazing!
v1oXx-

Q1)
-data in table, no. of a+t is similar, no. of g+c are similar, no of a and t decrease going down the group.
-DNA 2 strands, has thymine, deoxyribose. RNA: 1 strand, has uracil, ribose sugar.

We need a paper first!
Reply 71
For the breeding I just said breed a high resistance with a high yield, then repeat for several generations seemed so simple I wasn't sure if I was missing something out.
v1oXx-

Q1)

You forgot Hydrogen for the very first part!
Reply 73
LearningMath
We need a paper first!

Any chance you can get the paper please ? Like you did for unit 1.
Reply 74
How do you get hold of the paper so early? Is it available to teachers as soon as the exam is over?
Reply 75
v1oXx-

Q1)

I think it was polypeptide, not phosphate-sugar but no point debating till we get the paper I guess :wink:.
chuck111
Guts what did u put for the breeding one????

I put u pick the ones with the most flowers on it and which shows the most resisitance and breed those together..then breed offspring nd so on

Mmm... I first explained mark assisted selection. Then said a series of plants should have there genomes examined and those with desirable traits such as large maximum growth, fast growth rate and resistance to what disease it was. These plants with desirable traits should then be isolated from populations and clones(cuttings) made. Thus a new generation of plants with desirable traits has been produced.
Reply 77
Wakeke
How do you get hold of the paper so early? Is it available to teachers as soon as the exam is over?

I think some teachers give it, or they may have access to OCR Interchange. But my teacher's not so generous, she would not do that.
Moabubaker
Any chance you can get the paper please ? Like you did for unit 1.

I hope to pick up the Unit 2 paper tomorrow or wednesday! :smile:
Reply 79
Moabubaker
I think some teachers give it, or they may have access to OCR Interchange. But my teacher's not so generous, she would not do that.

Ah ok, I might ask my teacher about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending