The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
aliel
Though, the thing is, they somewhat expect to have people profess excellence at a range of extra-curricular activities...i went to a Kings Open Day last year and the tutor there mentioned in essence their procedure: 1) Predictions 2) Reference 3) AS results 4) Personal statement/GCSEs. You have to pass each stage...in that order (yet not strictly). By far, the teacher's section is very important, but the coin changes if you are offered interviews.....

Hmmmm, don’t get my wrong it would great if they did take extra-circular activities into account (from a purely selfish point of view). I was just under the impression that it wasn’t really part of the admissions criteria.
Reply 41
kildare
Hmmmm, don’t get my wrong it would great if they did take extra-circular activities into account (from a purely selfish point of view). I was just under the impression that it wasn’t really part of the admissions criteria.

yep i know that it is their last consideration.....but they do stress they want applicants to be 'rounded' and have other hobbies/achievements other than academic...that is why i think it is important to state them on UCAS because, the thing is, everyone does. So it gets to the point when the notice when someone has no such achievements to mention. I am not saying that such applicants are thus not as eligible, far from it...my cousin has just finished his Masters at Cambridge after doing his degree there as well.....he is not sporty..he rather observe it!
Reply 42
Lol, I didn’t actually mention all my extra-circular stuff on my UCAS for fear that they may take involvement in a large number of activities as a sign of a lack of commitment to the subject. I did mention the activities I spend most time on though, plus I was able to use the extra space to talk more specifically about history so it’s not all bad I guess..
Reply 43
I play Rugby and Row and was going to cambidge for the sports more that was why I take part in sports. and I am clever. sorry i am tired
Reply 44
brasil85
I play Rugby and Rowe and was going to cambidge for the sports more that was why I take part in sports. and I am clever.

you rowe, do you?
Reply 45
kildare
Lol, I didn’t actually mention all my extra-circular stuff on my UCAS for fear that they may take involvement in a large number of activities as a sign of a lack of commitment to the subject. I did mention the activities I spend most time on though, plus I was able to use the extra space to talk more specifically about history so it’s not all bad I guess..

no not at all. This i believe is the difference between unis that interview and those that dont...my statement was as follows:
1) My pursuit to be a historian
2) Historical topics/books of interest
3) Sorbonne: lectures in history--independent work etc etc
4) Travels in Northern Africa
5) extra-curricular: campaigns/sports/article for local paper etc etc
6) Spending 4 months in Cairo---importance of mastering languages to aid me to study docs of other civils etc

I also devoted most space to the subject
Reply 46
My PS went in pretty much the same order:
1. Why I love history, for example omissions in popular understandings
2. What I have read/done to support this i.e. E.H.Carr and teaching myself Spanish
3. What I will do, e.g. read the biography of Mussolini and attend lectures etc
4. Sports, netball etc
5. Charity work
6. some corny summing up line!
So it seems we are on same track! cool, i thought i might have done it wrong
Reply 47
Nylex
Ah, that sucks Chim. What did you apply for?

Computer Science
Reply 48
Haz
Wow, that's appalling! If they were prepared to take you through clearing then they should offer to reserve a place for you next year. Even if you don't want to wait, I reckon that would have been a fairer response.

Hey i didnt think of that. that wudda been a good thing for them to do considerin what they've done already.

Latest

Trending

Trending