The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Joshworkinghard
Has anyone heard back from the sutton trust summer schools thingy if they have secured a place on one of the summer schools yet????

i got a letter from oxford for the summer school in Law saying that they have receaved my application and will reply in june ... where did you apply and for what course??
Cambridge for law. My freind recieved that same letter for law at oxford, as you did. I also know a girl who applied to Bristol and has had a place confirmed already. But nothing at all from Cambridge.
Reply 3
Joshworkinghard
Cambridge for law. My freind recieved that same letter for law at oxford, as you did. I also know a girl who applied to Bristol and has had a place confirmed already. But nothing at all from Cambridge.

i think cambridge and oxford will take longer to decide on who gets a place cos i know some poeple who also applied to bristol, 3 got rejected and 1 got in,.,... if a summer school is hard to get into i dread to think about the real application :eek:
Reply 4
**noooni**
...if a summer school is hard to get into i dread to think about the real application :eek:

the impression I've got is that you're not being assessed on academic criteria though - more how you fit the charitable aims & criteria of the project...

so not getting into the summer school would in no way mean it's not worth applying to the university!
Reply 5
Elles
the impression I've got is that you're not being assessed on academic criteria though - more how you fit the charitable aims & criteria of the project...

so not getting into the summer school would in no way mean it's not worth applying to the university!

Exactly - well put - the criteria for getting on the Sutton Trust Summer Schools (or any of the other ones Oxbridge run) are entirely different to those for getting into the actual courses.
Reply 6
I got rejected from that... wasn't pleased... but i have a place now
Reply 7
JHutcher
I got rejected from that... wasn't pleased... but i have a place now

Not sure there why you were displeased but I could understand disappointment - but these summer schools can have more competitve applicants-to-place ratios than the actual degree courses
Reply 8
hmm, well, surely from an educational opportunity perspective you must have been in a better situation than other students who applied, which isn't something to be displeased about? though i can appreciate it would be disappointing not to gain a place on it i suppose. but, you got a place at the university which is even better i should imagine? :p:

In case people are curious, the website gives the criteria for the Sutton Trust scheme specifically:

Priority will be given to students who:

- will be the first generation in their families to attend university
- have parents in non-professional occupations
- attend schools which have virtually no history of sending pupils to the university over the last two years
- attend schools with a low overall A level point score
- are plausible applicants for university places with a minimum of five A*/A grades at GCSE
- are taking relevant subjects for the course to be studied
- attend schools with a high proportion of free school meals and/or in inner-city areas
- attend schools with a low proportion of the sixth form going on to higher education

edit - RichE - am rather echoing you, sorry! :wink:
Reply 9
I've applied for the Oxford Maths summer school, should be hearing from them early next month.
Reply 10
RichE
Not sure there why you were displeased but I could understand disappointment - but these summer schools can have more competitve applicants-to-place ratios than the actual degree courses

well i was annoyed and upset... but that was mostly my own fault for thinking myself into a place.
Reply 11
Yeah, got a letter and email back for Maths at Oxford... hear from them next month like you guys.
Reply 12
**noooni**
i think cambridge and oxford will take longer to decide on who gets a place cos i know some poeple who also applied to bristol, 3 got rejected and 1 got in,.,... if a summer school is hard to get into i dread to think about the real application :eek:

how can you be rejected from a summer school...i thought you got in if you paid...they have entrance criteria for that as well!!!:eek:. no wonder so many people are put off top unis :rolleyes:

Phil
Reply 13
Phil23
how can you be rejected from a summer school...i thought you got in if you paid...they have entrance criteria for that as well!!!:eek:. no wonder so many people are put off top unis :rolleyes:

Phil

Well i applied to sutton trust because i come from a background not associated with oxbridge applications. It was free and the criteria involved you being particularly poor, needy, from a crap school... etc etc.
Reply 14
Phil23

well, these are charitable schemes we're discussing, lacking an endless moneypot, so not everyone who applies can gain a place.

hence the criteria for the Sutton Trust specifically are the ones I posted.. which are hardly academically elitist, nor aimed in any way at 'putting off' students, but giving priority to those who may benefit most.

do some research or think before you make such sweeping (& inaccurate) statements. :rolleyes:
ditto
Any one else got offered a place at a non oxbridge uni yet????? as my friend already has
There must be more people who applied???? Or maybe not and we will all get in.
Reply 18
Joshworkinghard
There must be more people who applied???? Or maybe not and we will all get in.

a lot of people do apply but there's no reason for them to be TSRers

the oxbridge regional conferences (without 1000-2000 at each) came and went in March with barely a peep from this forum
Reply 19
i got a letter today from oxford for a place doing german, 3rd-8th july. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending