The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How will this situation affect someone who is doing their medicine degree in prague?

Also anyone at liverpool medical school?
Reply 21
ledleyking123
How will this situation affect someone who is doing their medicine degree in prague?
In theory it makes it easier for them. But the establishment got wise to them trying to sneak substandard doctors into the UK and make it quite a bit harder.

Also anyone at liverpool medical school?
Why would that be different from the rest of us?
so in general people who are doing their degrees in prague are going to be struggling to get back into UK now?
Reply 23
Is there anyway for medical students to come up with some sort of petition to scrap MTAS and ask the health secretary or whoever to come up with a new system.
Reply 24
There is no incentive for them to come up with a new system as it seems to work for the vast majority. Or so we are told.
Reply 25
ledleyking123
so in general people who are doing their degrees in prague are going to be struggling to get back into UK now?
I hope so.
Reply 26
crazyhelicopter

FY1 doctors were previously responsible for cannulations. In some hospitals you now have physicians assistants who do the cannulas. Now doctor is only called for the difficult patients, doctor has less experience of simple cannulas and is thus less able to deal with this etc

This is true and I've noticed it in practice this year. On one hand it is useful having someone to do all the easy stuff so you can get on with other things but the downside is that when they can't do it - chances are you can't either.

Cannula wise - it helps when your SHO is dating a Anaesthetics reg :biggrin:
Renal
I hope so.

why
Reply 28
ledleyking123
why
Because I don't want them risking my patients and I don't want them competing for my job. Simple.
Renal
Because I don't want them risking my patients and I don't want them competing for my job. Simple.

I completely agree, don't think they deserve the same chances as a UK graduate but there is nothing in place to stop them is there.
Anyone see Private Eye 'Medicine Balls' a couple of weeks ago?

Someone leaked an email from the DoH - yes, it is confirmed the whole MMC idea was to try to pay doctors less money. Not that we didn't suspect that in the first place.
ledleyking123
there is nothing in place to stop them is there.

Apart from that some Doctors are bound to know what the script is with these fellas.
Reply 32
LatinMachine
Someone leaked an email from the DoH - yes, it is confirmed the whole MMC idea was to try to pay doctors less money. Not that we didn't suspect that in the first place.
I think the really important thing is that it is designed to mislead the public while delivering a lower standard of care.
Doctors still get great money these days no?>
ledleyking123
Doctors still get great money these days no?>

Consultants - kinda
Juniors - definitely not (and there's no guarantee you'll ever get to consultant).
how much do juniors make after graduation and what are the various levels?
Reply 36
ledleyking123
how much do juniors make after graduation and what are the various levels?

The basic salary for an FY1 is currently around £22k, with up to 50% more than that depending on how many unsociable hours you have to do. This gives you a bit more information, though I'm not sure it's true any more that the most common banding is 50%...
the pay mentioned for consultants there is ridiciolous
Reply 38
Why is it so ridiculous? When you finish medical school with tens of thousands of debt, then work for years at a wage substantially below the work that you do and then take on massive responsibility, £100k a year seems pretty reasonable. Remember, we're in a worse position on the housing ladder than people who leave school at 18 and often end up job and workplace shuffling well into our thirties. Not to mention that, as the leading people in hospital departments, they get all the stick for any cock-ups and bear the weight of any big decisions and can suffer the consequences of that.
Reply 39
Helenia
The basic salary for an FY1 is currently around £22k, with up to 50% more than that depending on how many unsociable hours you have to do. This gives you a bit more information, though I'm not sure it's true any more that the most common banding is 50%...
1B seems to be the most common round here, although there are a couple of people with one or two 1As.