The Student Room Group

Is my mum racist?

I wasn't really sure where to put this, as I'm not looking for advice, but it links to a problem in my life. I'm seeing an Asian guy (I'm white) at my university. It's not serious or anything, but when my mum called yesterday to see how I was (I hadn't bothered to call her in a fortnight), I ended up bringing him into the conversation and she got really annoyed. She said things like 'oh Keleigh why are you doing this to me?' and 'Indians (even though he's not ******* Indian :mad:) make good friends, but they're not there for that sort of thing'. I was getting really frustrated on the phone and telling my mum to stfu etc.

Is this normal talk from her generation though, or is she a bona fide racist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not necessarily. She just may be concerend about a culture clash between the families. Asian families are just as bad.
Reply 2
Tbh I think it's more a generation thing. Ignore her. My friend is mixed race and her grandparents freaaaaaked when we was born (they're white) but they're fine now :smile:
No, not neccesarily. My mum would be much worse.
Reply 4
Yes, your mother is clearly racist.
Reply 5
It sounds as though she doesn't dislike them as people, but is just scared of you marrying into an Asian family because of the big culture differences. If it does get serious and you turn out to love him and want to be with him forever, she could probably be won round - especially if his family is welcoming of the idea.
Reply 6
wait untill you try to fit in with his family...
The word "racist" is thrown around a lot. Did she say anything to suggest that the asian race are inferior? She sounds a bit prejudice. A lot of people are, even my parents (who are of completely different races).
Reply 8
I'd disown you.
Reply 9
At least she isn't suggesting honour killing you, which is what some Indians do if they disapprove of partner choices. Think yourself lucky that you got away with just being told off.
Reply 10
Xenopus
At least she isn't suggesting honour killing you, which is what some Indians do if they disapprove of partner choices. Think yourself lucky that you got away with just being told off.

Indian parents seem to get a lot of abuse here. I feel I should point out that mine are liberal, not religious and not racist.
x-keleigh-x
I wasn't really sure where to put this, as I'm not looking for advice, but it links to a problem in my life. I'm seeing an Asian guy (I'm white) at my university. It's not serious or anything, but when my mum called yesterday to see how I was (I hadn't bothered to call her in a fortnight), I ended up bringing him into the conversation and she got really annoyed. She said things like 'oh Keleigh why are you doing this to me?' and 'Indians (even though he's not ******* Indian :mad:) make good friends, but they're not there for that sort of thing'. I was getting really frustrated on the phone and telling my mum to stfu etc.

Generational thing, I know my mum wouldn't be totally comfortable if I were to go out with an Asian or even a European for that matter. If she hasn't told you that you can't see him, then just let her have her opinions. My mum and Nan (bless them) are rascist, but its who they are and how they were brought up. Aslong as there good parents in general it doesn't matter :smile:
lol at telin ur mum to stfu

id have knocked ur teeth out
Reply 13
Nah, just ignorant.
Reply 14
x-keleigh-x

OP, if your mum is this:

Then she is..

If not, probably not..
Reply 15
nah shes not racist, maybe a bit ignorant, is he south asian or oriental? just curious
His family will be calling you alkinds when they find out.
I have to see her run before I decide.
Racist, but a good shag.
Just because some Asian families are worse, doesn't excuse her at all.

To me that sounds pretty racist, "they're not there for that" implies she thinks they're inferior, which is racist.

Latest

Trending

Trending