The Student Room Group

Being a racedriver - Childish Dream?

I've always really really wanted to be a racedrive to make a living.
I don't mean making million in F1 or anything, just a reasonable income, something I could live off of. :o:
Say in Formula Renult, Touring Cars, that type of racing.

Thing is, every time I say to my parents, they think I'm an idiot and childish and do the whole "virtually no one gets into it stop thinking about" crap :mad:.

It's really annoying, because there's opportunities round here to start to get involved (race marshalling, karting (but a bit expensive) and quite a few tracks around), but whenever I say about them, they downright refuse to help! ¬_¬

With marshalling it would mean a 30 minute trip (in the car, no busses go there) and they won't take me because it's just "following my stupid childish dream" and its unpaid.

So, do you think wanting to make a living from racing is really a childish dream? Or is it actually do able if I could pursue it (and does anyone know how I could)?

Bit of a rant and wall of text so sorry :p:
I think the majority get into it early on through karting, or later through having ****loads of money. You can probably achieve your aim though, just use sheer grit and determination, listen and then cast aside your parents advice. Always good to have a backup plan though.
Reply 2
Double Agent
I think the majority get into it early on through karting, or later through having ****loads of money. You can probably achieve your aim though, just use sheer grit and determination, listen and then cast aside your parents advice. Always good to have a backup plan though.

Yeah that's the thing, the money :frown: I have my own but can't spend it on what I want because my parents have control of it :mad:

And I have backup plans for uni and ATC :p: But I'd rather not go into them :frown:
Reply 3
Oh I'd love to be in Formula One! :biggrin: Thing is most of the drivers are either in karting from about 5 or get onto the renault/red bull driver programs.

Might i add Williams for the title!

Latest

Trending

Trending