The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Does it bother you that Notts reputation is crashing

From my observations it seems quite clear that, unfortunately, Nottinghams reputation seems to be on the decline. Firstly, its ranking has dropped from being consistently top ten for a good decade to mid-late teens (if not worse), but more worryingly its standard of student has dropped massively as well, going from having a tariff score of 430+ which was always top 8, to like 405-410 which is now 15ish with grade inflation. We are the only university in the top 20 whose tariff has dropped not gone up. Its application numbers have also plummeted, so that its application: place ration has dropped from 10:1 to only 6:1. Hell Law has gone from 20:1 a few years back to only 7:1. JUst look at how many course are in UCAS Extra this year as well, loads of main ones you'd expect to be filled. Also, for a university that says how good their research is, coming 24th in the RAE is pretty crap.

Nottingham seems to be the only university I can think of that has actually made a huge step backwards in reputation. How the hell can the heads have allowed that to happen. When it applied it was seen on the Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick level but you get kids on here saying it is no better than standard red bricks that require ABB. I have friends who say that they are glad they chose not to go here cos its not as good anymore. I must admit I feel a bit miffed having rejected Warwick and Bristol to come here thinking that it was the one university "on the up". Who knows, give a few years at Nottingham Trent might even beat us in rankings! I dont want to look at the next Times ranking due soon cos with the new criteria it will probably be in the 20's.

Does anyone else feel a bit miffed or is it just me. Apparently one of the main complaints from students in the last NSS was a about its declining reputation so I cant be the only one

Rant over

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Broadsword
From my observations it seems quite clear that, unfortunately, Nottinghams reputation seems to be on the decline. Firstly, its ranking has dropped from being consistently top ten for a good decade to mid-late teens (if not worse), but more worryingly its standard of student has dropped massively as well, going from having a tariff score of 430+ which was always top 8, to like 405-410 which is now 15ish with grade inflation. We are the only university in the top 20 whose tariff has dropped not gone up. Its application numbers have also plummeted, so that its application: place ration has dropped from 10:1 to only 6:1. Hell Law has gone from 20:1 a few years back to only 7:1. JUst look at how many course are in UCAS Extra this year as well, loads of main ones you'd expect to be filled. Also, for a university that says how good their research is, coming 24th in the RAE is pretty crap.

Nottingham seems to be the only university I can think of that has actually made a huge step backwards in reputation. How the hell can the heads have allowed that to happen. When it applied it was seen on the Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick level but you get kids on here saying it is no better than standard red bricks that require ABB. I have friends who say that they are glad they chose not to go here cos its not as good anymore. I must admit I feel a bit miffed having rejected Warwick and Bristol to come here thinking that it was the one university "on the up". Who knows, give a few years at Nottingham Trent might even beat us in rankings! I dont want to look at the next Times ranking due soon cos with the new criteria it will probably be in the 20's.

Does anyone else feel a bit miffed or is it just me. Apparently one of the main complaints from students in the last NSS was a about its declining reputation so I cant be the only one

Rant over

I rejected UCL for Nottingham. ****!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Broadsword

Rant over

Note to self: do not apply to Notts
Reply 3
I rejected Bristol for Nottigham! oh oh!
Reply 4
puppylv
Note to self: do not apply to Notts

Don't be swayed by just one person's opinion.
Reply 5
doggyfizzel
Yo ass must be crazy!

I think i may be starting to agree with you.
Reply 6
I rejected Durham for Notts.
Reply 7
josht111

Looks like me and you are idiots lol
I'm so fed up of these threads. OP, you are such an idiot!

As to the people just believing him without factual sources, if you're serious about being disappointed, then I'd rather you didn't come to Nottingham, just to protect its reputation :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Dont get me wrong, thats not a rant saying how bad nottingham is, I think it is great and have loved every minute of being here, and is one of the best universities Britain has on any indicator, what i was saying is that people take rankings as gospel, and by failing to suck up to them and not caring where they come their reputation has dropped undeservedly. Its sheer negligence. Also by seeking money by increasing student numbers they have diluted student quality. The university needs to wake up and stop the rot to get back to its rightful place IMHO cos with the recession the better university the more chance of getting a job. It hate seeing Nottingham become meer average to the main in the street
Reply 10
Zerodos
Looks like me and you are idiots lol

Nah. Give it time my friend, give it time.
Reply 11
dont go there, so no not really.
Reply 12
I don't think the difference (if there is any) between Nottingham and other unis like Warwick, Bristol, Durham etc is that big enough for you to worry...uni rep isn't that important anyway.
Reply 13
Christian_j

As to the people just believing him without factual sources, if you're serious about being disappointed, then I'd rather you didn't come to Nottingham, just to protect its reputation :rolleyes:

If you look at the league tables his facts are true. I've seen this myself. However if you look at soem peoples posts there done in joking ways. I rejected UCL for Nottingham. I thinK UCL academically is better but i wouldn't be happy there so i rejected it. Stop crying!
Reply 14
No because they are using a different indicator than research power. From what people say we will be ranked about 18th for research this year, which is a slight improvement from 2001 but not much. Also they are putting hue weighting on the NSS in this years ranking, and as we do terribly in that, expect are ranking to drop even more, maybe out of the top 20
(edited 3 years ago)
Before I came on here I used to have the impression that Nottingham was just one of the redbricks with Sheffield, Leeds, etc. People werent really particularly impressed with my offer, or said I should go there. I think its easily lumped with the 'good' unis that come about 15th on the tables, but not above them.
Reply 16
josht111

ahhh me tooo :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Christian_j

To be fair although OP is being fairly childish, the fact that Nottingham is going down in the league tables is true. Also nottingham trent isn't as bad as everyone makes out, (I think it has the highest rate of getting it's graduates into employment).
At the moment nottingham will be a well respected uni. Whilst nottingham is going down the rankings, it will still be respected by employers at the same status it was for a good number of years. It's still going be considered prestigous and I doubt employers will make andy differentiation between Bristol, Warwick or nottingham (someone mentioned UCL, but I think historically UCL is known to have a better reputation and I suppose might be better recieved from employers in london, but again it depends on the subject...). It will take a good number of years before someone from nottingham will considered worse (something ridiculous like 50 years), and by then it won't really matter.
As for RAE rankings, I don't think they hold much of an impact on rankings. I hear Queen Mary's does fairly well in them, yet their ranking is still not that great (although a lot of people I speak to say it's underrated...).
I wouldn't worry about the rankings too much OP. Nottingham is still classed as a prestigous uni despite it's ranking at it will be for a long time.
Having said that, Nottingham really should take steps to fix/up their ranking too.
Reply 18
Depends on the subject, notts was 3rd for economics in the RAE ratings for research.
Reply 19
Broadsword
No because they are using a different indicator than research power. From what people say we will be ranked about 18th for research this year, which is a slight improvement from 2001 but not much. Also they are putting hue weighting on the NSS in this years ranking, and as we do terribly in that, expect are ranking to drop even more, maybe out of the top 20

oh and OP, didn't manchester suffer a similar fate to nottingham in terms of going down in the rankings, just out of curiosity?

Latest

Trending

Trending