Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Summer jobs - waitrose pay well?

Announcements Posted on
Will you get the grades you need for uni? Get prepared today and de-stress, sign up to email alerts for course places! 02-06-2015
Waiting on IB results? Our IB results hub explains everything you need to know 01-06-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Anyone worked at waitrose?
    What sort of pay is it for a saturday/sunday?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    A mate of mine works there he earns just under £6 an hour i think, plus im pretty sure you get time and a half for sundays.
    If not work at Sainsbury's you get time and a half on sundays and double pay on holidays!
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it pays wells but how old are you cos you might get a lower wage per hour that others if your 18 or 16 and under. But if you are 18 or over you shoud get about 5 pounds and hour and depending on the business tips too. But this is a hard demanding job so watch out!
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    it's not actually that hard and demanding :confused: ...it's a supermarket. I work at Sainsbury's and I get £5.61 ph and £8.42ph on sundays, but I'm 18. Waitrose is probably about the same? Failing that, always choose John Lewis over any supermarket as they pay £7 ph for 18yr^ ! :cool:
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artbum)
    it's not actually that hard and demanding :confused: ...it's a supermarket. I work at Sainsbury's and I get £5.61 ph and £8.42ph on sundays, but I'm 18. Waitrose is probably about the same? Failing that, always choose John Lewis over any supermarket as they pay £7 ph for 18yr^ ! :cool:
    I'm 17 (nearer 18)
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    If you're 17 then WR will start you off on the basic pay at around £3.80 which is pretty crap. However after 3 months you get a pay review where it usually (if you're any good at the job) goes up to over £4.00.
    Then, when turning 18, the pay goes up loads to around £4.75, then after a year it goes up a little more, if you get trained to work on other sections then again the pay will rise each time it is reviewed.

I got to £5.04 from starting at £3.77 when I was 17, plus when I worked there they used to do double time for Sundays and Bank holidays, was easy money, but now of course its time and a half, unlucky!
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Well they've asked me for an interview.
    My friend told me that finding a job is hard and it took him a year to find one. I hope I get this job. Do they call all applicants to interview. Sorry if I sound dumb, never done it before.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    £4.30 starting salary.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, the pay is bad compared to other places, but their excuse for that is that you get the annual bonus in april which is usually around 12% of your annual pay. however, if you're only planning on working there for the summer, you obviously won't get the benefit of this....
    I just left my job at Waitrose because I hated it so much
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    £4.30 starting salary.
    Thats good.

Morrisons in Yorkshire pay new under 18s £3.82 an hour although the wage then gets to £4.43 after 13 weeks, which is pretty decent for my area.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Anyone worked at waitrose?
    What sort of pay is it for a saturday/sunday?
    i used to work there ages ago. i think it depends how old you..i used to get time and a half on sundays, but normal pay on saturdays...
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 and at WHSmith I get 4.90.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for Waitrose, as it is much closer than where I am currently at WHSmiths, and the supervisor there said that the staff get £11ph on a Sunday. Pretty damn good considering at Smiths its about £5 any time other than bank holidays.
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I got the job.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Is it just for summer?
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dizizdaflizz)
    Is it just for summer?
    well it was going to be, but i'm gonna carry it on next year so I can save for uni.
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I started Waitrose this week for £5.33 an hour. I do 15 hours a week and per month get about £320.
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artbum)
    I can tell you now that they do not - I worked on saturdays at John Lewis for 2 years, and when I was 18 my pay was £5.15 an hour. I left to go to uni, but worked last summer and the christmas holidays, was 19 and earning £5.50 an hour. I don't know where you got £7 from, but even on the big money departments (furniture, audio and tv etc) you won't be earning that much!
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I got the job.
    What was the interview like? Easy??
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, not too bad. Just general questions, e.g. what is good customer service?
Updated: June 13, 2005
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

New on TSR

Improving your uni offer

Why now is the time to think about Adjustment

x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.