The Student Room Group

Any One Goin into the navy as a high rank??

Any one going to join the navy as a high rank I.e Officer, Lt , Captain,?Admial?, Rear admial,'Admial of the fleet??' and also 'Sealord'

The ones that have ' ' next to are unreachable without Medals and and special awards given by the queen!! :smile: :biggrin:

Hopefully i want to join as a Lt and then go staraght to Admial missing out captain (only for one reason :I DONT LIKE TO BE CAPTIAN I HATE THAT JOB..!!

Will you be able to join as one of these ranks?? :confused:

You need at least 5 a lvls (gcse).!!!!

Wow i like the navy as i am in the Sea Cadets and i am training as a commuctions exepert !! :eek: :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont think u can join and go straight in as an admiral rich, lol
Reply 2
time to change passwords?
Moloktis
I dont think u can join and go straight in as an admiral rich, lol

thats why i wanted to join as a Lt!! :biggrin:

You can join as anthink but BELIVE ME YOU NEED LOADS OF A LVLS!

if you get good grades you can join up to Admial (also Rear admiral is lower rank than a admiral !!! :congrats: )
you can depending on your grades
Reply 5
Im confused... :confused:
Reply 6
shazzam
Im confused... :confused:

So was I, until I talked to a colleague of mine who left the Navy as a Commander (equivalent to Lt Col or Wng Cdr). He assures me that in all his time in the Navy (he went through the ratings and commissioned in 1993) he has never heard of anyone either enlisting as an officer higher than Midshipman, or being accelerated due to qualifications beyond Sub Lt.

Even as a late entrant (Commisioned WO) the highest rank upon commission is Lieutenant.

Think about it... as a Royal Navy Captain, that could put you in charge of the lives, welfare and administration of in excess of 1000 personnel. Add to this the responsibilities of commanding a couple of thousand tonnes of aircraft carrier, along with the tactical and political knowledge borne of umpteen years of experience as a military commander at all levels... I think it rather unlikely that the Navy would take anyone off the street, even if they had a doctorate in art, and award them the honourous rank of Captain. :smile:
Reply 7
saiyamana
thats why i wanted to join as a Lt!! :biggrin:

You can join as anthink but BELIVE ME YOU NEED LOADS OF A LVLS!

if you get good grades you can join up to Admial (also Rear admiral is lower rank than a admiral !!! :congrats: )

but I've always been ;ed to believe that everyone starts BRNC as Midshipman and then becomes sub LT soon after they leave depending on age/ability, so what are you on about?
Reply 8
you can join as any officer up to Lt Depending on your age/abity/and also what job you are to take up.. :biggrin:

As im in cadets i am aware of what happens in the navy .. !

In sea cadets we have oficers/Lts and also a comador!! :biggrin:

Only a couple are young but they have joined as above midshipman :biggrin:

None are reALLy that old .
Reply 9
Hi_118
you can join as any officer up to Lt Depending on your age/abity/and also what job you are to take up.. :biggrin:

As im in cadets i am aware of what happens in the navy .. !

In sea cadets we have oficers/Lts and also a comador!! :biggrin:

Only a couple are young but they have joined as above midshipman :biggrin:

None are reALLy that old .

sorry to burst your bubble, but you are a sea cadet. Cadets are nothing like active service. Yes it gives kids a better understanding but thats it. Being a sea cadet does not mean you know everything about navel ranks and selection.
Reply 10
it depends on what happens ther (have u ever been?) Well on Sea cadets will learn diffrent things that u wont learn in the navy! :eek:

Some of it is the same but not always! :eek:
Reply 11
also i have listed all the ranks in the navy on my other form! :eek:

they are all ther but some may be missin thoug

doesnt matter only becauseits not that important :smile:
Hi_118
it depends on what happens ther (have u ever been?) Well on Sea cadets will learn diffrent things that u wont learn in the navy! :eek:

Some of it is the same but not always! :eek:

I've been to Sea Cadets, I'm an adult volunteer with the Air Cadets and I'm on a University Air Squadron. I've been away with URNUs and OTCs. Its nice you're taking a keen interest but try not to pass on incorrect information. Being in the Sea Cadets is nothing like being in the Navy, just like being in the Air Cadets is nothing like being in the RAF.
Reply 13
sometimes it is :eek:
Reply 14
Hi_118

Can you please quantify your argument. It's all very well saying "sometimes it is", but a few examples of the similarities, especially those regarding rank etc would help explain a lot better than a single throw away comment.
Reply 15
Hi_118

so if you don't mind me asking are you plannig on joining anytime soon?
He may be right....
You all join as they same rank for your officer training (officer cadet in the RAF) but you don't all pass out as an APO.
If you have done previous service as an NCO, you are likely to pass out as a pilot off/fg off.
If you have done a degree, you normally pass out as a fg off.
If you have done a 4 year uni course, promotion to flt lt is quicker.
It is done on time and all works out the same eventually money wise, as all ranks up to flt lt are time based promotions.

I guess it is promabably similar in the Navy as rich has just got the wrong end of the stick. A Level grades won't change what you pass out, but a degree or previous service will.
Reply 17
Absolutely right InaSpin, with the ever so slight detail that graduates/qualified train as Student Officer as opposed to Officer Cadet, however the main thrust of the misinformation in here;

saiyamana
if you get good grades you can join up to Admial

I highly doubt it.

saiyamana
Hopefully i want to join as a Lt and then go staraght to Admial missing out captain
:rolleyes:
I did edit it to say mention the SO/OC bit but I don't know where it went....!

What are they teaching Sea Cadets these days?!

(PS - Was NEVER a sea cadet! I'm light blue all the way)
Reply 19
InaSpin
You all join as they same rank for your officer training (officer cadet in the RAF) but you don't all pass out as an APO.
If you have done previous service as an NCO, you are likely to pass out as a pilot off/fg off.
If you have done a degree, you normally pass out as a fg off.
If you have done a 4 year uni course, promotion to flt lt is quicker.
It is done on time and all works out the same eventually money wise, as all ranks up to flt lt are time based promotions.

Not quite right.

"Status" wise, you're either an Off Cdt or SO during training. However, SOs have the nominal rank of Plt Off, and are paid as such, and will have their commissions dated from day 1 of IOT. Off Cdts have the rank of (surprisingly) Off Cdt, and have their commissions dated from the final day of IOT. You'll graduate as an A/Plt Off.

Previous service counts via a ratio; I can't remember it off-hand, but it's something like +12 months seniority for every 24 months seniority you have past a certain threshold. However, all the ex-NCOs on my IOT graduated as Fg Offs, regardless of whether they were ex-SACs or ex-Sgts.

Remember that you ostensibly start as an A/Plt Off and have to serve a certain number of years in each rank. Different seniority just accelerates that process, or allows you to skip a pay point or two.

With a degree, you'll graduate as a Plt Off. You'll wear Fg Off rank, but you'll actually still be doing your 6 months as a Plt Off on your grad day, and will become a Fg Off 6 or so days later while on leave. So you'll pitch up to day 1 of further training as a Fg Off, but if you look at a graduating list they're all Plt Offs. Whether or not this will change with a longer IOT, I don't know.

People graduating as Fg Offs or Flt Lts either have previous professional experience which counts towards seniority (true for nurses, engineers, etc etc) or have been recoursed as graduates; hence they're graduating after their 6 month stint as a Plt Off.

4 year uni courses don't all count; teaching doesn't, Scottish degrees don't, and there's a few more provisos. It's only a genuine 4 year MSc or the suchlike that'll accelerate promotion; you get an extra year as a Flt Lt to make up for being a year later than your peers into training.

Latest