Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MA Creative Writing - Birkbeck vs City

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been offered places on the MA Creative Writing courses at both Birkbeck and City University. Both have positives (City guides you through the composition of an entire novel; Birkbeck is more rounded and academic , and has some great tutors.)

I'm tending towards Birkbeck but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

PS. I've also been offered a place on Manchester Met's online MA. I've been advised by most people I've spoken to not to proceed as face-to-face is better. However, it is a very cost-effective option, and the tutors there are great - again, if anyone has any thoughts I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

J. Florence.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi John (or anyone else):

Did you get responses to which is a "better" program? What did you decide, how do you like your decision?

Would appreciate any responses as I'm also trying to decide between the two programs: MA Creative Writing - Birkbeck vs City University.

All responses welcome.

Thanks & Regards,
    Rina
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People who have money to afford MAs in Creative Writing are the definition of having too much money. You don't need a degree to write a novel, just open up Word, getting planning and go for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too much money!!
    Creative Writing Courses are an easy target I guess if you make the mistaken assumption that all our students want to do is get rich quick by writing a bestseller - and if that's their ambition they are a. unlikely to get on our courses. b. not enjoy our courses.
    A good MA (like ours at Birkbeck) gives the student an opportunity to think quite deeply about the written word and about the world, generally - and at any given point in an MA workshop we might discuss matters of history, philosophy, psychology, and literature. It's rigorously reading-based and even in the depths of a recession we are hugely oversubscribed - we only take 35 students out of about 200 applications. Education, as Aristotle knew, is more than just about training - a good CW MA teaches the student to *think* in a structured and meaningful way as well as apply technique to their work. I would challenge you to try any of our courses and then you can tell me if you think they are a soft option . . .

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.