The Student Room Group

Help please

Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a scholarship, but to satisfy the terms of it I need an unconditional from university or/and A-level grades. The results are, apparently, coming out on the 20th of August, but the deadline for applications for this scholarship is 15th of August. I really need the money, because I can no longer afford the UK university. I am an international student, so the scholarship is not a British or EU one.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to ask a university to make my offer unconditional, because I think it's not possible to get the grades earlier?

Thank you!
Reply 1
No - if a university has made you a conditional offer, they will not just change it to unconditional because of a scholarship - if they did that you could completely flunk your a levels and still get the place at the uni, which is the reason they made a conditional offer in thefirst place.

When is the decision made on the scholarship? If it will only be decided after the 20th, you'll be ok, because by that point your place will be considered 'unconditional' if you have achieved the grades. Are you sure you've read all the information thoroughly?
Reply 2
Sanzhar
Hi everyone,

I want to apply for a scholarship, but to satisfy the terms of it I need an unconditional from university or/and A-level grades. The results are, apparently, coming out on the 20th of August, but the deadline for applications for this scholarship is 15th of August. I really need the money, because I can no longer afford the UK university. I am an international student, so the scholarship is not a British or EU one.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to ask a university to make my offer unconditional, because I think it's not possible to get the grades earlier?

Thank you!

Its possible to ask but I doubt they'll change your offer.
Reply 3
It would make more sense to talk to the scholarship people, because they will have experience with dealing with this. They may be able to be flexible with the deadline, or allow you to send in your results later
Reply 4
I very much doubt it.
Reply 5
coolh5000
No - if a university has made you a conditional offer, they will not just change it to unconditional because of a scholarship - if they did that you could completely flunk your a levels and still get the place at the uni, which is the reason they made a conditional offer in thefirst place.

When is the decision made on the scholarship? If it will only be decided after the 20th, you'll be ok, because by that point your place will be considered 'unconditional' if you have achieved the grades. Are you sure you've read all the information thoroughly?

Yeap, pretty sure about the information bit. That is true, about flunking your a-levels, but I'm thinking more about just a letter, not the actual unconditional offer. In other words, ask the uni to send the letter saying that I have an unconditional offer but not actually give one. It's a pure formality, I know I will get the grades, it's just that the scholarship people need something. The decision is made in September but they do need something official before the 15th of August, i.e. the results or unconditional offer.

Confusing, I know, but the financial situation is pressing hard:s-smilie: . Thank you for your answer! :yes:
Reply 6
There is no way they will send you a letter saying you have an unconditional offer when you don't. That is the stupidest idea ever.
Reply 7
Juno
It would make more sense to talk to the scholarship people, because they will have experience with dealing with this. They may be able to be flexible with the deadline, or allow you to send in your results later

Well, I did, but they said there's no way they will accept my application any later than 15th. Besides, the person I was talking to said that they probably wouldn't even bother looking at applications after July.

Is there anyone with a vaguely similar situation? :confused:
The uni wouldn't do it, and probably wouldn't have a high view of you for asking them too...
Maybe reconsider?
Sanzhar
Well, I did, but they said there's no way they will accept my application any later than 15th. Besides, the person I was talking to said that they probably wouldn't even bother looking at applications after July.

Is there anyone with a vaguely similar situation? :confused:

The British university will not write a letter saying that you have an unconditional offer when you don't, end of story. Regardless of whether it was for a formality thing or not they wouldn't do it, as then, besides many other things, technically you could produce it once you had recieved your grades and should you fail to meet the conditions, you could then say "well you gave me an unconditional offer".

If the scholarship people will not budge on their deadline of 15th August then your only option is to take a gap year and ask the university if they can defer your place until 2010 entry, or reapply via UCAS and get unconditional offers next year as you already have the grades. Then you would be able to apply for funding from the scholarship people this time next year holding an unconditional offer and would therefore satisfy their requirements.

As has been said though, one would assume that they have had prior experience of students waiting for A level grades seeing as they are a popular qualification, and therefore it might be sensible to try talking to them again and make them aware that their deadline is before the A level results day. You should also ask what other people generally do in this situation - do they simply take a gap year or is there another way?

Latest

Trending

Trending