The Student Room Group

GEP 4 year course as an Arts grad

Hi, don't normally venture into this part of the forum but thought what the heck I'll be brave and go post some questions :biggrin:

I'm currently researching into doing the GEP 4 year course (primarily at Southampton, but there are only 3 other places that take Arts grads anyway) and was wondering whether anyone could give me a run down of what the course is actually like (no idea if there are members doing the GEP on here), finance etc etc

I'm looking mainly at Soton as it's close to home so possibly thinking about commuting in every day. Would this be do-able/feasible in order to not have to worry about taking out bank loans for rent and general living costs? I'm aware of the 9am starts and Soton does a lot of their placements in Winchester which is only like another 10mins on top of the Soton drive from home anyway. Would commuting have problems in the later years though? Or is living within 20mins a requirement? Tbh I've done the halls thing, it's really nothing special and I quite like being at home (plus given the nature of the course, I'd probably actually only be there to eat and sleep!).

Anyone got any ideas about term length? I know Cambridge runs a really long course each year (something like 46 weeks think I read on their website) to cram it all in, but does anyone know if Southampton does the same? If they don't, do many people work during the summer to get some money, or you are fully expected to be shadowing in the medical environment?

For anyone doing any medical course - do you know of anyone nuts enough to have a part time job or is the course THAT full on, it would be detrimental to your studies etc?

I know Southampton ask for AS level passes in Chem and Bio - I've got AS Chem already, and would look to do the AS Bio during my year off (am hopefully taking 09/10 off) - they only say passes though but are they really expecting people to have A grades? Although that would be unusual for Arts grads surely?

UKCAT - know two people who took it last year and they've explained it to me; I've had a look at the practice papers and it doesn't look too bad (not compared to MA essays anyway!) and definitely not as bad as GAMSAT!!!!!! Damn St. George's.

I know I need work experience which is fine, have personal experience and know quite a few people in the medical profession so not overly worried about sorting that one out.

So yeah, think that's it - sorry for the uber long post but want to research it as throughly as possible :smile:
Why don't you apply to two universities that want the GAMSAT. I thought the GAMSAT to make it fairer on those that don't have a science background.
Reply 2
Because only St. George's want the GAMSAT, King's uses UKCAT and Cambridge use BMAT. I'm only limited to 4 unis for the GEP given the subject my BA and MA are in :smile:
yeah, i thing that as an arts grad you would do quite well on the gamsat - the first 2 sections are heavily biased towards arty/humanities people. you would only really have trouble with the science section but since you are considering doing biology anyway then you would bring yourself up to scratch with that.

look into it - i sat gamsat last year and even though i only just scraped a pass - i felt that it wasnt too hard (definately not as bad as some people make out), and i got offers for nottingham and st georges.

other than that, i dont know much about southamptons course except that it is very tough competition for a place because they dont normally interview (or is this not the case with grads?). so hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along soon. :smile:
Reply 4
dances_with_lamposts
yeah, i thing that as an arts grad you would do quite well on the gamsat - the first 2 sections are heavily biased towards arty/humanities people. you would only really have trouble with the science section but since you are considering doing biology anyway then you would bring yourself up to scratch with that.

look into it - i sat gamsat last year and even though i only just scraped a pass - i felt that it wasnt too hard (definitely not as bad as some people make out), and i got offers for nottingham and st georges.

other than that, i dont know much about southamptons course except that it is very tough competition for a place because they dont normally interview (or is this not the case with grads?). so hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along soon. :smile:

Thanks for the reply,

From what I've read, Southampton don't interview for the GEP which on some levels is a bad thing. So it comes down to reference and personal statement and UKCAT score I believe.

Didn't realise GAMSAT had a big humanities section; I've seen the Chem and Physics bit and it looks horrible (did Physics A-level). Shall look into it some more.
Reply 5
Do you guys know of any great books I can use for the science knowledge. The last time I took biology, chem and physics was in GCSE.

I am scared as hell! There is so much to do...and Im sitting here procrastinating and thinking about everything I need to do, instead of applying myself!

Ok, sorry, random post! but also, wanted to ask would a Psychology major be described as an Art or not? (With regards to med school applications).

Cheers
Reply 6
Here I think the rules are you are allowed up to 8 hours a week of paid employment in first year, and after that it is looked upon with an extremely dim view indeed.
Reply 7
you need to do more research man

you can apply to 8 unis not 4 as in you can apply to 4 but you have the option of 8

georges
notts
newcastle
keele
kings
swansea
southampton
cambridge

get your research done
apotoftea
Hi, don't normally venture into this part of the forum but thought what the heck I'll be brave and go post some questions :biggrin:

I'm currently researching into doing the GEP 4 year course (primarily at Southampton, but there are only 3 other places that take Arts grads anyway) and was wondering whether anyone could give me a run down of what the course is actually like (no idea if there are members doing the GEP on here), finance etc etc

Hey,

I'm in a similar position to yourself having studied music technology and then sonic arts (MA) at uni (I do however, come from a science background at A Level).

The GEP course will be a big ease on your financial burden since the NHS fund years 2, 3 and 4. Although I've read that this only applies to residents of England and Wales.

I know Southampton ask for AS level passes in Chem and Bio - I've got AS Chem already, and would look to do the AS Bio during my year off (am hopefully taking 09/10 off) - they only say passes though but are they really expecting people to have A grades? Although that would be unusual for Arts grads surely?

I'm back at school this year studying 1 year A levels in Chemistry and Biology - you shouldn't have much problem getting A's in both now that you're a little older and wiser than in school.

Although many schools may not require that you have these A Levels (I know that Newcastle is one) it does look really favourably on the whole 'proving your commitment' to medicine.

Anyone got any ideas about term length? I know Cambridge runs a really long course each year (something like 46 weeks think I read on their website) to cram it all in, but does anyone know if Southampton does the same? If they don't, do many people work during the summer to get some money, or you are fully expected to be shadowing in the medical environment?

AT Newcastle the 1st year is very full on and I suspect that you wouldn't have any time for a part time job. Or, at least, I wouldn't be relying on one for financial support!

UKCAT - know two people who took it last year and they've explained it to me; I've had a look at the practice papers and it doesn't look too bad (not compared to MA essays anyway!) and definitely not as bad as GAMSAT!!!!!! Damn St. George's.

Get a good UKCAT and you'll almost guarantee yourself an interview, so it's VERY important! Obviously do lots of practice questions and practice the exam technique until you have it to a tee. It's not so bad doing the questions but doing 1 question every 30 seconds (as is required for a few sections) is a little bit trickier.

Have you considered applying for any of the 5 year courses? The GEP's are very competitive (hence why I only applied to one) although are a massive financial advantage to the 5 years with the NHS funding (assuming you are eligible, which I, unfortunately, am not).

If you've any more questions just fire away!

Good luck!
Reply 9
fortysixandtwo
Hey,

I'm in a similar position to yourself having studied music technology and then sonic arts (MA) at uni (I do however, come from a science background at A Level).

The GEP course will be a big ease on your financial burden since the NHS fund years 2, 3 and 4. Although I've read that this only applies to residents of England and Wales.

I'm back at school this year studying 1 year A levels in Chemistry and Biology - you shouldn't have much problem getting A's in both now that you're a little older and wiser than in school.

Although many schools may not require that you have these A Levels (I know that Newcastle is one) it does look really favourably on the whole 'proving your commitment' to medicine.

AT Newcastle the 1st year is very full on and I suspect that you wouldn't have any time for a part time job. Or, at least, I wouldn't be relying on one for financial support!

Get a good UKCAT and you'll almost guarantee yourself an interview, so it's VERY important! Obviously do lots of practice questions and practice the exam technique until you have it to a tee. It's not so bad doing the questions but doing 1 question every 30 seconds (as is required for a few sections) is a little bit trickier.

Have you considered applying for any of the 5 year courses? The GEP's are very competitive (hence why I only applied to one) although are a massive financial advantage to the 5 years with the NHS funding (assuming you are eligible, which I, unfortunately, am not).

If you've any more questions just fire away!

Good luck!

You're doing your Alevels- can I ask where?
I currently reside in West Midlands, and unfortunately I can not find anywhere that will enable me to take my Alevels in a year. Is there anywhere / anything you can recommend?

Did it cost you also and are you working?

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 10
terpineol
Here I think the rules are you are allowed up to 8 hours a week of paid employment in first year, and after that it is looked upon with an extremely dim view indeed.

I don't know if I've missed something further up in the thread, but do you mean that the uni impose some sort of rules on medical students about how much they are allowed to work during term time? I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that - all they can do is urge you not to take on too much. Surely it's entirely up to you what you do in your free time as long as you are keeping up.
foxyamy
I don't know if I've missed something further up in the thread, but do you mean that the uni impose some sort of rules on medical students about how much they are allowed to work during term time? I am pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that - all they can do is urge you not to take on too much. Surely it's entirely up to you what you do in your free time as long as you are keeping up.

Provided you are keeping up they won't shoot you. We do however sign a lengthy contract with the medical school basically saying 'if we haven't followed all your rules and something goes wrong I don't expect bailing out'.

The line the uni seem to take on it is that if you need money that badly you should be applying for bursaries etc rather than working on what I have heard at least.

Thats not to say I don't know of medical students with part time jobs, I can think of at least one. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do it though.
Reply 12
terpineol
Provided you are keeping up they won't shoot you. We do however sign a lengthy contract with the medical school basically saying 'if we haven't followed all your rules and something goes wrong I don't expect bailing out'.

The line the uni seem to take on it is that if you need money that badly you should be applying for bursaries etc rather than working on what I have heard at least.

Thats not to say I don't know of medical students with part time jobs, I can think of at least one. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to do it though.

Wow - I hope so, because I just won't be able to afford to do it without a job - not eligible for funding etc. due to having already done one degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending